• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

magic marker

Mxgirl1

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
an i use those white magic markers on colored gel coat. like the grey on my scarab wake 255. i want to remove dock rubber marks

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sorry to be so long on the reply--just noticed this. Probably a better question to post in the General section, as more people look there more often (and it is not particular to Scarabs--any gel coat can get dock rubber 'kisses').

The dock rubber is usually rubbed off onto the gel coat. So you can usually remove the mark by rubbing hard with a rag. If that does not do it, then a mild abrasive or polish (toothpaste will do in a pinch) will likely do it. Just with a rag probably is enough. Pros will use a rotary tool with a pad and the polish to make quick work of it and even out the finish at the same time...

Hope that helps!

Mike Cardillo

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Try a magic eraser. I had some black marks that would not come off and the eraser did the trick

Mxgirl1

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Sorry to be so long on the reply--just noticed this. Probably a better question to post in the General section, as more people look there more often (and it is not particular to Scarabs--any gel coat can get dock rubber 'kisses').

The dock rubber is usually rubbed off onto the gel coat. So you can usually remove the mark by rubbing hard with a rag. If that does not do it, then a mild abrasive or polish (toothpaste will do in a pinch) will likely do it. Just with a rag probably is enough. Pros will use a rotary tool with a pad and the polish to make quick work of it and even out the finish at the same time...

Hope that helps!
So no matter what the color of the gel coat u can use magic marker or tooth paste etc. what anout goo gone. Im concerned my dark grey will get dull or ruined

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So no matter what the color of the gel coat u can use magic marker or tooth paste etc. what anout goo gone. Im concerned my dark grey will get dull or ruined
Start with a 3M Adhesive removal wheel. This will take off the most stubborn "stuck on" stuff. I use it to remove the emblems from my vehicles with excellent success.

Once you have the stuff removed, you can use a "Clay bar" to more thuroughly clean the substrate of tiny little particles the wheel doesn't remove.

Next you'll want to repair any scuffs that were caused. There is a thread around here somewhere about getting tiny small bottles of color matched gel coat. I forget who the manufacturer is, and I can't find the link anywhere.

Then it's buff and wax to desired gloss.

If it's a LARGE scuff, then you might need more intensive work, but for little ones, the process above works for me.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You don't have to worry overly about dulling out with tooth paste (or magic eraser or rubbing compound or the removal wheel) on gelcoat. First, it probably won't do anything, especially with some of the weaker stuff like toothpaste and the magic eraser. If it does, it will polish right up with some polish. A rotary tool is best for that, but with some elbow grease and some polish you can get the same effect. Cleans up nicer than you would imagine. Then wax and go.