• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Mandatory boat training coming to CA

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
i just got this notice with my boat registration. Looks like training will be mandatory here in CA in the near future. If I'm reading the notice correctly I will need to take the class in 2023.

image.jpg image.jpg

I wonder how this effects the rental market in Cali?

Murf, That is a great question. I know this was sent to whoever registers the boat but this would apply to each person wanting to drive the boat right (co-captain, kids, etc.)? This is probably a good thing as log as they don't start to charge large fees for the classes etc.

Washington State went to that same requirement a number of years ago. This is listed in the exemptions:
  • Operators of rented, leased, or chartered vessels must have a copy of the Commission-approved educational checklist in lieu of Boating Safety Education Card when operating a livery vessel.
So, the knuckleheads that operate rented boats and PWCs aren't required to have the mandatory education when ironically they tend to be a larger portion of the boating safety problem.

Oregon too already phased that in. Easy online course.....no biggie.

Arkansas has a similar requirement for anyone born after December 31st 1985.

Canada has had this in place for a few years. I think it's a good thing. Besides teaching boating safety and rules there are age restrictions preventing young children operating certain boats and PWC. If you are operating a boat you must have the card with you.

I would guess that renters would have to "read" and sign off on a multipage document that outlines rules and regs, maybe even watch a 10 minute video.

NOOOOO not a 10 minute video!!!!! I need to drive fast now. Sort of like when Homer Simpson went to buy a gun and had to wait for the background check - "but I'm angry now!"

Washington State went to that same requirement a number of years ago. This is listed in the exemptions:
  • Operators of rented, leased, or chartered vessels must have a copy of the Commission-approved educational checklist in lieu of Boating Safety Education Card when operating a livery vessel.
So, the knuckleheads that operate rented boats and PWCs aren't required to have the mandatory education when ironically they tend to be a larger portion of the boating safety problem.
This isn't as much about educating the knuckleheads as it is about developing a new revenue stream for the state. New Hampshire has similar regulations but if you don't have the NH license you can buy a weekend license for $$$. So much for education.

If you really want safe boating it's real simple but not very popular, DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE!

Back