• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Mercury 175 Two Stroke Won't Start (Sportjet)

jserr68594

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango Xtreme
Boat Length
I have a 2000 Mercury 175 Sportjet 2 stroke motor that is having starting/running issues. The boat had sat for a little while before I bought it (Bought it non running). I drained the gas tank and put fresh fuel in.

The only way the boat will start is if I put a bag over the three carburetors (Old trick from 2 stroke seadoo jet skis to prime the pump) and then it will only run if I keep the throttle around 3500 RPM (Runs rough). At one point, I did have some fuel running out of the carbs when trying to start the boat. It will also fire on starting fluid. It is getting spark on all cylinders.

Any help would be appreciated!

Stomp10

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango
Boat Length
@jserr68594 - 3500rpm is too high to run it on a hose. Can do some damage.
Time to rebuild the carbs.

jserr68594

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango Xtreme
Boat Length
I was running the boat in the water. Thank you for your input.

drs1250

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaRay
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Might as well rebuild the fuel pump as well.

Reggie209

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have a 2000 Mercury 175 Sportjet 2 stroke motor that is having starting/running issues. The boat had sat for a little while before I bought it (Bought it non running). I drained the gas tank and put fresh fuel in.

The only way the boat will start is if I put a bag over the three carburetors (Old trick from 2 stroke seadoo jet skis to prime the pump) and then it will only run if I keep the throttle around 3500 RPM (Runs rough). At one point, I did have some fuel running out of the carbs when trying to start the boat. It will also fire on starting fluid. It is getting spark on all cylinders.

Any help would be appreciated!
Any luck getting her going?