• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Messed Up Break-in

Chuds

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Picked up my new 2018 212x last Friday and naturally we forgot the manual at home (was reading it the night before on the couch) when we took it out the lake on Monday so we googled the break in period instructions. Of course my wife found the wrong one that stated the last hour keep it below 8000 rpm not the 6500 or whatever it is that the manual said. Naturally I was eager to get on the throttles after a painful slow speed run for the first 35 minutes so we opened her up for the next few hours. Have roughly 4 hours on her now but I am worried we royally messed up by going over the recommended RPM for the break in due to the 8000 RPM confusion (I should have known something was wrong when the gauge maxes out at 8000rpm. My question would be should I worry that I have done damage to the engines? We did open her up for 15 - 20 minutes at a time to cruise from one end of the lake to the other and practiced launches and surf speed etc. My gut reaction is no but I could use reassurance to calm my brain.

Cheers,

Chuds

PS boat was awesome by the way but would only hit 42mph on the speedo at 2550 ft altitude would that be normal?

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Chuds, have another beer....your fine. Just remember to do your 10 hour oil change. Getting up there in elevation so probably good MPH for you. These will run better with more hours.

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yea. You’re fine. There should be short full throttle runs during break in to seat the rings.

Chuds

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Thank you for the replies @jcyamaharider and @McMark! Sometimes you just need someone to smack you over the head and tell you to get over it, totally going to crack a beer after work and leave this mix up behind me. Oh and I will be sure to get the 10 hour oil change done.

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
They're right. You're good. These engine can handle higher rpms than we'll ever be able to get them to turn in these boats.

We used to break in Superbikes for racing in about 25 miles over about an hour period instead of the slow and painful 600 mile recommendation. And after a full race season of bouncing off the rev limiter, they were sold and would last for years with nothing more than routine maintenance.

Peelz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I remember the standard Yamaha raptor 700 break in: warm it up gently, ride it like you stole it, let it cool off, repeat 3x. change oil.

done. lol

you are fine.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I remember the standard Yamaha raptor 700 break in: warm it up gently, ride it like you stole it, let it cool off, repeat 3x. change oil.

done. lol

you are fine.
Sounds like my Rhino break in! LOL

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Basically the same engine if it was the rhino 660 or 700!
Yeah, I did 686 upgrade. Wesico rotating assembly, CP high compression piston. Runs like a champ!!

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Lol Chuds, I really believe the only way to mess up the break in period is to do it without oil

Peelz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yeah, I did 686 upgrade. Wesico rotating assembly, CP high compression piston. Runs like a champ!!
I bet!

fun and simple engine to mod. a Cam really woke mine up.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Peelz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
REALLY.....I need to look into that.

mine was the 700 (686) engine though. they have more top end to begin with...better head and valves.I know the cam was WAAAY easier on the 2006+ 700 raptor engine. than it was for the 660 head.

sorry all- little off topic here. I Started it lol

GoVols01

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I didn't follow the break-in recommendations either. In fact the dealer's mechanic took me out on the maiden voyage to ensure everything was running properly before I took delivery. He went WOT from the no wake zone for ~5 minutes until he handed the controls over to me. I asked him about the break-in period and he said it's really not necessary. He said they go WOT at the factory as well during testing.

Jameson Clark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Chuds, have another beer....your fine. Just remember to do your 10 hour oil change. Getting up there in elevation so probably good MPH for you. These will run better with more hours.
What exactly do you mean by that? What would one expect to change as hours start building up? Thanks!

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Oh the engines are shot . That boat is worthless now. Tell you what... I will give $20k to get it off your hands. And that is because I am such a nice guy LOL

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
For one, as rings wear in to match the cylinder walls, compression will go up.

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Reminds me of breaking in a snowmobile. Some of the recommended RPM’s are barely moving. I wouldn’t sweat it.