• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Mfi trailer brakes

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Wondering if someone can help. 2 parts

1. My truck isnt reading a trailer is connected (have trailer brake adjustment inside)

2. I have the 5pin and plugged into round connector on my truck (f150). To back into my driveway I have to use pin or it will lock the brakes.

This became an issue putting the boat back in garage on Tuesday my wife said something is grinding. Pin came out and she didn't see it.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Something isnt wired correctly... These trailers have surge brakes an electric controller will not work on these trailers and is not used. When your vehicle backup lights come on the trailer brakes should automatically lock out... Maybe you don't have back up lights on your truck.

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'll have to check when I pick it up from getting detailed. Thanks for info about the electronic control in truck.

Will make sure the backup lights are working properly on truck when I get home

sysinu

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Your truck won't "detect a trailer" unless you have the trailer brake wire connected usually. By default, these trailers come with hydraulic surge brakes which have an optional 5th pin bypass for the hydraulic engagement mechanism. If you have a 5th pin adapter to the trailer and your back-up lights are properly engaged then the bypass on the trailer will engage allowing you to reverse without locking up the brakes. This bypass only allows the trailer brake to not further engage. Putting the truck into reverse while the truck is "downhill" from the trailer will not disengage the brakes on the trailer, it will just not allow additional hydraulic pressure to make it to the brakes... trying to reverse in this situation would have you skidding your rear trailer axle tires.

Due to my hatred for hydraulic brake systems, the first thing I do when I get a boat with a trailer is rip all of that shit out and replace the hydraulic disc brakes with electric drum brakes.

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Due to my hatred for hydraulic brake systems, the first thing I do when I get a boat with a trailer is rip all of that shit out and replace the hydraulic disc brakes with electric drum brakes.
That's my plan if i decide to fix the brakes. They are currently not functional. I have a 3hr drive to the river, then it's just 5 minutes on flat ground to the ramp.

sysinu

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That's my plan if i decide to fix the brakes. They are currently not functional. I have a 3hr drive to the river, then it's just 5 minutes on flat ground to the ramp.
I drive 4 miles to where I launch my boat and slip it each year. I still replaced my brakes with electric :)! It's really not expensive to do at all. If you replace the tongue and kept all the hydraulic parts you could probably sell all of that as a kit on Ebay for more than it costs you to have electric brakes installed professionally. Good luck either way!