• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

MFI Trailer Hubs Question

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Going on a long (9 hrs each way) trip in a couple weeks.
Have religiously greased my trailer wheel bearings over the years, but...

I am thinking it might be a good idea to have a spare hub & bearing assembly with me on the long trip.

Has anyone replaced these on an MFI trailer?
Swapping out the whole hub looks easier vs. messing around with the individual bearings, races, seals, etc.

Looking for thoughts, suggestions, and ideas.

Edited to add: Part numbers and sources appreciated

Last edited:

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Definitely carry a whole assembly with you, it's much easier to swap than mess with tearing one apart. Don't forget the ramp jack tire changer platform.

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I have a zerk that is not accepting grease anymore on one of my bearings assemblies. I'll probably just replace the whole thing vs mess with the zerk. A part number is appreciated.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@GTBRMC I don't know the exact part numbers for you but www.pacifictrailers.com has a lot to offer. The 98 MFI trailer has DB35 brake calipers, that much I know. Maybe that'll help them narrow it down.

@jetboater4life I believe our bearing buddies are 1.98". Not sure if they're the stainless model or not though. They can easily be found on eBay or any trailer shop. Keep in mind that the newer styles have the blue "indicator" which makes it easier to see if they're greased properly.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Here's what Trent at MFI Trailers 800 606-9100 or 931 962-0025 told me a few years ago. He said that everything is pretty much standard bearings/seals (should be easy to find). My boat/trailer is an 07, but I'm pretty sure yours would be the same.

His specs are as follows:

Outer Bearing: L44649
Inner Bearing: L68149
Seal: 256-168 (the size is actually 2.56" by 1.68"), AD 2528 EO (NLK #)

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Here's what Trent at MFI Trailers 800 606-9100 or 931 962-0025 told me a few years ago. He said that everything is pretty much standard bearings/seals (should be easy to find). My boat/trailer is an 07, but I'm pretty sure yours would be the same.

His specs are as follows:

Outer Bearing: L44649
Inner Bearing: L68149
Seal: 256-168 (the size is actually 2.56" by 1.68"), AD 2528 EO (NLK #)
So, based on your info, I believe I will order a pair of these to have on hand:
http://www.pacifictrailers.com/galvanized-trailer-wheel-hub-3500-axles-68149-44649-bearings-138/

As the complete hub kit, per wheel, is about $40, I assume these are Chinese manufactured - but I am quite sure the OEMs were/are also.
Agreed my 2008 MFI is identical to your 2007 MFI, from everything I have seen here and at YJB over the years.

Thanks a ton, @itsdgm for the specific, useful info. Also, thanks to the others that chimed in.

Boat Crazy

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Correct me if I am wrong. I would also purchase the disk brake hub for the braking axle.

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Correct me if I am wrong. I would also purchase the disk brake hub for the braking axle.
Sh!t! I forgot about that. I believe you are correct -- I should have one of each type.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@GTBRMC I could be wrong, but you probably could use a disc brake hub on an axle without a caliper, but obviously you would need one with a disc on the axle with brakes. So it wouldn't hurt to just have one with a disc to cover both bases. But you would want to call and verify that. Here's a link to their disc brake hubs http://www.pacifictrailers.com/trailer-buddy-parts-and-UFP-Trailer-Disc-Brake-Rotors-Hubs/

Sorry if I screwed you up on that one. I've been out on the lake all day and just got back to our room.

jdonalds

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I bought two spare break hubs directly from MFI. I've held onto them for a couple of years. Finally a couple of weeks ago I replaced the right side which was quite easy to do. Given the right tools (and weather conditions) I wouldn't hesitate to do it on the road if I had to. It took much longer to bleed the brakes alone than installing the new hub.

You only need the hub with the brakes. If for some reason your forward hub goes out you can use the spare with brakes but of course the breaks won't work.

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I don't know about the MFI trailers because mine was painted and trashed from salt water when I got the boat. I replaced it with a custom aluminum trailer. BUT, I was able to get a spare tire holder that is also a complete hub assembly. My spare tire sits on it and spins but it's ready to go if ever need one. Thinking about getting another one and a second spare for mounting on the other side.

Also, I don't know if these type spindles will fit in the MFI hub but I have EZ Lube spindles...they are awesome for replacing the grease in your bearings by just pumping in new grease. If you rebuild your hubs, try and switch to these spindles. If you grease regularly, you could feasibly never have to open it up and repack bearings.

flyin_dutchman

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Looking for an answer on a problem I discovered today.......
I noticed grease all over one of my MFI trailer rim/tire and it is because the metal end cap has come off. I see some grease still inside the area, but not sure how to get a good fix for it? Do I just recap it and make sure I grease it?
Thanks

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
How much grease? If just a little it may have just been a build-up over time (grease juice) that flew out when the cap popped off. Check the rear seal to make sure that is not letting grease pass. Add a little as indicated and check. Probably okay. Monitor it. If there is a problem, it will resurface.
image.jpg

flyin_dutchman

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I do not have that type of thing on my trailer. I basically have these I just checked the other three caps and they freely slide on and off (almost too free)
I found this: this is what the inside looks like (there is grease around it in spots)

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@flyin_dutchman those black caps are just covers for the bearing buddies (often called bearing buddy bras). The bearing buddy is the chrome spring loaded attachment with the grease fitting on the end (your second pic). Which fell off? The bearing buddy, or the dust cap?

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
That bearing buddy is spring loaded. When you pump it full of grease it's applying pressure keeping the grease pushed in and the water from getting in when you submerge it. But if it has blown a seal, the spring pressure could squirt all the grease out and pop the front cover off. Clean it up, pump it back full of grease (just until the plunger stops moving, don't overfill) and let it sit for a couple days with no cap on it and see if the grease is coming back out.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Big Shasta - I'll try that thanks
@itsdgm - only the black cover
Ok. Like @Big Shasta stated the cover missing could be a sign of a blown seal in the bearing buddy. Another thing that could cause it to happen would be if you had brake troubles (usually a sticky caliper). This would cause a tremendous amout of heat to build up leading to the grease getting so hot that it will liquify and get pushed past the seals in the bearing buddy. When it does this it can cause the "bra" or dust cover to pop off and grease to spray all over the rim.

Either way, hopefully you'll get it figured out. After all it's usually something as simple that the cap just fell off. ;)

Edited to correct spelling of liquify.

Last edited: