• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Milky Oil... On water and need help!

When someone wants to make an insurance claim and they posted that they were taking on water and stayed out they really do not want the insurance company to see that.
Got it.

20140525_190503.jpg Ok, so I just realized I never gave an update to this... First, once again thanks for the quick replies. Love this site for that exact reason. :) Next, details of what happened after this discovery... You may cringe when hearing these details... But, not to add a spoiler, but boat is ok and running great!

So after talking with several mechanics that were there that day, he decided it would be ok to drive the boat at low rpm back to the ramp/trailer and do the oil change. I offered to tow him back, but decided against it. Never left no-wake mode. Stayed close the whole time in case he died in the water. Made it back and returned to campsite on the trailer. Got supplies for oil change and performed it the campsite. So, he began the next say before I was awake and helping him. I look and see water coming out of the exhaust outlets, but no noise? I ask if engines are running and he calmly says no. I immediately freak out and tell him to turn water off. he does and then asks why? I explain its part of the procedure- engines on, water on, water off, engines off. He never read that part of the manual!!! After further discussion, find out he does this all the time when getting ready for a trip. So, this may be a possible cause to where the oil came from. Well, after this, next is oil removal. He managed to get over 2 quarts out using a shop vac technique through the filters. After that he turned the engines over and pumped out another 2 quarts.... he was able to get over 4 qts. Per engine!! He told me this before the trip, but I didn't think it was possible... I was wrong. followed link given in 'tis tread and saw It was possible to in fact get that much oil out, and that we do have an actual plug to pull to drain oil!!! Giving this a try next spring for sure.

Refilled oil, and turned water on through hose, engines running of course. No signs of any residual milkiness, so decided we were good to go. Launched and did a check on the engines again when on the water. All looked good. Proceeded to have a great day on the water... pic taken of his boat late in the day from ours. :)

@ratchetdu. I think you should invite your friend to join us as a member of this forum. He needs a little education. Glad all turned out ok as it could have been an expensive misadventure.

I don't understand how he was able to get 4 qts of oil out, I need a better description of the process,

I don't understand how he was able to get 4 qts of oil out, I need a better description of the process,
After sucking as much oil as possible he ultimately pulls the drain plug to get all the oil out.

He managed to get over 2 quarts out using a shop vac technique through the filters. After that he turned the engines over and pumped out another 2 quarts.... he was able to get over 4 qts. Per engine!! He told me this before the trip, but I didn't think it was possible... I was wrong. followed link given in 'tis tread and saw It was possible to in fact get that much oil out, and that we do have an actual plug to pull to drain oil!!! Giving this a try next spring for sure.
:)

So what is the shop vac technique through the filters? I read it as he did it through the filter turned the engine over and got another 2 through the filter,

Glad to hear that it all worked out just fine. Hopefully there's no long term damage from the water intrusion.

If he was flushing with hose on, engine on, engine off, hose off then I'd be very very concerned about the long term. If he flushed this way then he always had water sitting in the engine. He's most likely going to have long term internal rusting.

Glad it worked out, find out where the water in engine compartment came from?

Back