• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Minimal Gel coat repair

Farny

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Ok - thanks to the Sh@$!# stock shorelander bow roller, I have a few minor abrasions on the bow. Looking to those who have had success in removing these minor scratches. @tdonoughue
Most of the threads I found were dealing with deeper repairs. Here is a few pics please let me know your thoughts on how to approach this.

Attachments

• 01FBCB64-27AA-448B-B3A9-8543D10E5416.jpeg
    01FBCB64-27AA-448B-B3A9-8543D10E5416.jpeg
    796.7 KB · Views: 49
  • 28A9D17E-AC13-44E3-9426-81476984E1D6.jpeg
    28A9D17E-AC13-44E3-9426-81476984E1D6.jpeg
    721.1 KB · Views: 47
  • 201C7D0C-9EBB-4E15-91A9-FE9B0004618F.jpeg
    201C7D0C-9EBB-4E15-91A9-FE9B0004618F.jpeg
    939.3 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
I found this video and was thinking maybe I only need the Finesse compound then wax? Or do I need a heavy cut first?

Ok - thanks to the Sh@$!# stock shorelander bow roller, I have a few minor abrasions on the bow. Looking to those who have had success in removing these minor scratches. @tdonoughue
Most of the threads I found were dealing with deeper repairs. Here is a few pics please let me know your thoughts on how to approach this.
Some 1500 will take those out no problem. Just wet sand.

I wouldn't use sand paper first. Try a buff it out first. Like a two step method, start with something that will remove 1500 grit scratches and then a final polish. If you sand it first you will definitely have to polish it. If the polish does not get the scratch out then sand with 1500 and polish it out from there.

I wouldn't use sand paper first. Try a buff it out first. Like a two step method, start with something that will remove 1500 grit scratches and then a final polish. If you sand it first you will definitely have to polish it. If the polish does not get the scratch out then sand with 1500 and polish it out from there.
Any specific polish you recommend?

Thanks @RobbieO - so just 1500 grit wetsand paper, little rubbing then wax?
That's what worked for me. You can use some 800 too if needed. Just make sure its wet. Then some nice wax. I had the same shit happen to me bringing it home from the dealer. That gelcoat is pretty soft. Here's what I ended up with for my bow roller.

Attachments

• IMG_2270.jpg
    IMG_2270.jpg
    235.6 KB · Views: 41
That's what worked for me. You can use some 800 too if needed. Just make sure its wet. Then some nice wax. I had the same shit happen to me bringing it home from the dealer. That gelcoat is pretty soft. Here's what I ended up with for my bow roller.
Thanks - I just wish I had put the Stoltz on first thing. I let it go for 18months before I changed it this week

Any specific polish you recommend?
Unfortunately I don't. The stuff I use at work is sold made and sold locally only. But any reputable brand should be just fine like 3m or chemical guys. Also when sanding gel coat just remember start with the highest grit paper possible. If the scratch doesn't come out with 2000, then move down a step until it does and then sand your way back up to 2000. Then clean the area and then polish. This method may seem tedious but it's the best way to do the job for someone new to gel coat repairs. I was trying to find a image of one of the many fiberglass/ carbon fiber tools that I have built but I don't have any pics anymore. I guess after 20yrs in the business I stopped taking pics.

Unfortunately I don't. The stuff I use at work is sold made and sold locally only. But any reputable brand should be just fine like 3m or chemical guys. Also when sanding gel coat just remember start with the highest grit paper possible. If the scratch doesn't come out with 2000, then move down a step until it does and then sand your way back up to 2000. Then clean the area and then polish. This method may seem tedious but it's the best way to do the job for someone new to gel coat repairs. I was trying to find a image of one of the many fiberglass/ carbon fiber tools that I have built but I don't have any pics anymore. I guess after 20yrs in the business I stopped taking pics.
Appreciate the advice.

If you run your fingernail across it and feel grooves the chances are it will need wet sanding and buffing to get the gouges out.

Thanks - I just wish I had put the Stoltz on first thing. I let it go for 18months before I changed it this week

Which version of the Stoltz is the right fit for the 19 footer?

I would wet sand that area, always in a circular motion. You can try 1500 first, but if they are deep you may need 1000 or 800 to start. Then work your way up to 2000. Then I would use a cutting compound with a rotary or da buffer, polish then wax. Don't oversand the area. Deep scratches, like maybe the one on starboard, may need a spectrum patch kit.

Last edited:
Back