• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Minor stereo upgrade question

DBamaC

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Maybe a stupid question, but is there any reason why I can't do this as stop-gap measure on my stereo system?

I want to add tower speakers (cans loaded with Polk db651's). Currently I have the factory Clarion M502, (4) factory Polk DB651's and a Clarion XC1410 amp. I will eventually buy another amp, but can I run the cabin speakers and tower speakers off the amp and the bow speakers off the head unit? I realize the bow speakers won't sound as good, but I'm not sure why that won't work for now.

Thanks!

Derek Fosbury

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I would run the cabin + bow off of 2 channels (in parallel @ 2 ohms), and the towers off of the other 2 channels. That way you can still have music in the boat when not using the tower speakers. I never found it useful to be able to fade from bow to cabin, and it never bothered me that no one was in the bow when the music was on :).

I had a similar setup, and my only word of advice is to think about what you are using the tower speakers for. If it's in hope of having the tubers/skiiers/wakeboarders behind the boat hear the music, that own't happen with this setup, specifically with these speakers - the music simply will not project loud enough; for that application, you need HLCD speakers and some more power. If, on the other hand, you want it for when you swim behind the boat at a sand bar or at the dock, then go for it!

DBamaC

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Yeah, I realize that I won't have the volume from the tower speakers for towing. I just like hearing it while hanging out behind the boat. I might just go ahead and buy a second amp with a remote gain and control the volume to the tower speakers with it. Controlling that damn M502 is such a pain that I don't want to ever use it to fade the channels.