• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Models with the MR-1 and APS (accelerator position sensor) for Perfect Pass or Ridesteady?

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Are there any models with the MR-1 engine(s), that use the APS for the throttle? It appears maybe the 07-10(+-) 21' boats do, but I'm having a hard time figuring it out for sure. Basically, with Perfect Pass ending production of their servo system, I got to wondering if there's a way for people with boats like mine to upgrade their throttle system to the APS system, for use with the current speed control system, whether Perfect Pass, or Ridesteady. I personally already have Perfect Pass, but figured if there's a way for people to get creative, this awesome forum would be the best place to figure out the options. I'm sure it would get pretty costly, pretty quick, as it would mean installing "drive by wire" on each engine, plus the APS, and throttle cables, but hey, people who own boats are generally willing to drop some coin on things they want...

Anyway, as I said, this is purely informational to me, as I've got Perfect Pass for my boat, but my brain hasn't let me stop thinking about what the possibilities are for those who now have no options.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
From what I have seen, the non APS boats have multiple throttle gates, closer to the cylinder intake, while the APS equipped boats appear to have a single large electronically controlled throttle plate. This is a theory and I have not validated this, but if true, it may make it pretty complex to upgrade as several parts of the intake would need to be replaced, along with some portion of the electronics.APSorNot.png

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The electronics is the wildcard, I think. If the ECU uses the APS to sense throttle position on the newer engines, it’ll pretty much knock it out. Even if it doesn’t, the odds of the TPS sensors being the same are pretty slim, and if you end up getting into the actual intake, what other sensors are there to worry about? MAP, etc... I highly doubt it’s a conversion that would be worth the money, time, and effort, but it would be really nice to know what the differences are. And, I wonder why the heck Yamaha didn’t put that system in all the boats once it was established.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Historically Perfect Pass offered a version with large servos to pull the throttle cables.

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Historically Perfect Pass offered a version with large servos to pull the throttle cables.
Right, that’s what I’ve got on my boat, but it’s been discontinued. Now there are quite a few people who are searching for a used system to purchase. I was fairly certain the MR-1’s were made with drive by wire in the 21’ boats, which makes them compatible with the current system. I am basically just trying to figure out how extensive it would be to convert a cable style engine to a drive by wire system.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@dgfreeze, are the 21 footers you are thinking about MR-1 powered 210s or TR-1 powered 210s? I believe the TR-1 is drive by wire.

I have never checked but how does no wake mode work on the MR-1?

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@dgfreeze, are the 21 footers you are thinking about MR-1 powered 210s or TR-1 powered 210s? I believe the TR-1 is drive by wire.

I have never checked but how does no wake mode work on the MR-1?
Well, that is what I don’t know for sure... I was under the impression that there was a year range of 21’s that had the MR-1’s, and that perfect pass worked with them, thus leading me to think some of them are drive by wire. Maybe I’m all wrong, I really don’t know. I honestly haven’t checked how no wake works on my boat. Obviously, it’s a rocker switch that you just press and hold, and it engages, but there’s only one speed, no bumping it up or down for variations of rpm. How it functions at the throttle body, I don’t know. Has to be somewhat mechanical, as the throttle cable goes all way to the butterfly’s, which are all linked directly together via a cross shaft.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I wonder if for that cost, a new speed controller would not be a better bet. Large servo motor and gps controller. BAM, speed control for the MR-1.

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I wonder if for that cost, a new speed controller would not be a better bet. Large servo motor and gps controller. BAM, speed control for the MR-1.
Enlighten me, would that interface with the perfect pass/ridesteady, or be a standalone unit? Any links to what you’re referring to? I don’t know why I’m so interested in a workaround for this, I’ve no need for it, but I just can’t let it go...lol

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Totally custom. It's going to be hard and expensive, but would be a fun project.

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Lord have mercy, I’d be better off learning to navigate by the stars. 😂 well, I guess I’ll just pray my system never shits the bed...

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You made me curious, the gps control and feedback is possible, but the servo is hard. I recall already a member on this board tried it and had decent but not 100% results.

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yeah, for someone who’s good with electronics, it should be possible, but I’m not that guy. I’m a mechanic by trade, and have overhauled plenty of engines and transmissions, but that stuff comes natural to me. Once things start having microchips, I’m out. I’m one step above a caveman with a rock. But if there’s a way to make it happen, I’m betting the guy is on this forum. Heck, even if you could take the APS from the newer boats, and find a servo that works with it, a guy could possibly rig it up that way, using the current PP system. And maybe not...I’m talking outside my pay grade...

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
An Arduino with a decent GPS module and two larger servos could do the work.

From there either control it with your phone via bluetooth or WiFi or add a screen and a speed control.

I expect you would invest quite a bit of time into fine tuning it.