• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Mooring Cover Leaks

whaler7626

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hey!

I have the grey colored mooring cover for my SX240, and while it is great and snug, I often find water on the starboard cockpit seat corner / floor, and a bit in the bow area. I am going to use some canvas waterproofing (done half, ran out of it haha) and hopefully this will fix it. I assume it is mostly just the seams, but the canvas does feel "soaked" after a light rain. Lastly some mildew has developed in the inside of the cover, as well as a bit of a "funk" smell when crawling in the boat with the cover partially on.

I think a new vent would solve this, probably placed near the aft pooling pole. WestMarine also sells an solar electric fan/vent that would be pretty neat. (While there are preinstalled vents, their effectiveness is greatly limited since they are placed around the side past the tight seal between windshield and canvas.)

Let me know what you guys think!!

Let me know if the vents work. I used tent seam sealer on my mooring cover (standard older / aka cheaper version) to seal the seams. It was tedious but did the job. The stitching was the issue with mine, the water came right in through the stitches.

My last oem Yamaha cover started to leak after just one season of use. I purchased a cover sealant from west marine that worked well, although a pita to apply. I found the oem covers need to be resealed yearly.

Do you keep your carpets in? If you do you should take them out or throw them in your head when stored.

Good idea with the carpets. Also, i ordered 2 vents from Overtons, one forward and one aft (solar aft). Should install next week! Will let you guys know how it goes!

Forward: http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=71180
View attachment 22705

Aft: http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=72310
View attachment 22706

I have custom sunbrella snap-on covers, but they have vents in them and I really think it helps to get the boat and carpets dried out as well as to put less stress on the cover when trailering. I think it is a good move to install one in the bow and one in the cockpit.

Back