• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Mooring cover

Sroc

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
Mooring cover question
Can you set the Yamaha factory mooring cover over a snap in cover on a Yamaha 252? Or do I have to remove the snap in covers first then put the mooring cover

Thanks

I have never used the snap on covers but the should be plenty of room to put the cover over the snap on cover.

I just recently bought our 242x used and it came with both covers. I installed the snap cover once just to see it and then put it in the attic! The Mooring cover is just so much simpler and covers more. To answer your question though, I would imagine you could use both at the same time. The only issue might just be the logistics of putting them both on if you are on the water.

I just wanted to update those who were curious I did place the mooring cover over my two-piece snapin cover, and it fits with no problem. I don't plan on using both wanted to put the cover on quickly as it was raining really hard at the time. I imagine I may keep the Snap-in covers on the boat in storage but plan on using the mooring cover at the marina

Attachments

• 919A5283.JPG
    919A5283.JPG
    12.5 MB · Views: 17
I just recently bought our 242x used and it came with both covers. I installed the snap cover once just to see it and then put it in the attic! The Mooring cover is just so much simpler and covers more. To answer your question though, I would imagine you could use both at the same time. The only issue might just be the logistics of putting them both on if you are on the water.
At the time we got the boat last Sumner there were no covers in stock. Based on info. from this forum. We got the snap bow and cock pit covers because they are easier to install, especially wet slipping. Still true?

I have never used the snap on covers but I wet slip all summer and have never really thought I was hard to put on the mooring cover. Even without a dock on one side of the boat.

At the time we got the boat last Sumner there were no covers in stock. Based on info. from this forum. We got the snap bow and cock pit covers because they are easier to install, especially wet slipping. Still true?
Easy is relative in this situation...in my opinion. While the mooring cover is bigger / bulkier and can be a little cumbersome to handle. Snapping and unsnapping all those snaps is a pain in the neck. I'm sure I could clean and lubricate the snaps to make it easier. But I have gotten used to the process for the mooring cover and prefer the full coverage.

I have never used the snap on covers but I wet slip all summer and have never really thought I was hard to put on the mooring cover. Even without a dock on one side of the boat.
Thanks, your thoughts might have changed my decision. Now for part 2 in the cover debate...do you trailer with the cover on or off?

I trailer with the cover on for long trips but if I am just going a short distance like less than 20-30 miles I will leave it off. Then next question is usually do you use the anti pooling poles when trailering again it depends if it might rain sure if the weathers nice then no. I don’t think it matters really. I have trailed in the rain with no poles and it was fine.

Thanks, your thoughts might have changed my decision. Now for part 2 in the cover debate...do you trailer with the cover on or off?
I trailered with the mooring cover on initially. On my second long distance trip (300+ miles), I sustained a 4 inch tear along one of the seams. I had taken precautions when towing such as the beach balls in the front and noodle over the windshield. Max speed on the trip was about 70. Will be stowing the cover and opening the drain plugs for future trips.
I used to trailer with the mooring cover on. On my second long distant trip (300+ miles), I sustained a 4 inch tear along one of the seams. I had take precautions when towing such as using beach balls (vs the pole) in the bow and noodle over the top of the windshield. The tear occurred near the captain seat oddly. i like the cover a lot despite this Issue as a mooring cover. I plan to stow it for future trips and open the drain plugs to handle any rain encountered.

If you only have a dock on one side of the boat, do you only loosen and tighten one ratchet strap?

I trailered with the mooring cover on initially. On my second long distance trip (300+ miles), I sustained a 4 inch tear along one of the seams. I had taken precautions when towing such as the beach balls in the front and noodle over the windshield. Max speed on the trip was about 70. Will be stowing the cover and opening the drain plugs for future trips.

I used to trailer with the mooring cover on. On my second long distant trip (300+ miles), I sustained a 4 inch tear along one of the seams. I had take precautions when towing such as using beach balls (vs the pole) in the bow and noodle over the top of the windshield. The tear occurred near the captain seat oddly. i like the cover a lot despite this Issue as a mooring cover. I plan to stow it for future trips and open the drain plugs to handle any rain encountered.
Interesting, I'll probably only be towing twice a year and would likely have towed with the cover on. But now I'm thinking maybe not. Why risk damaging the cover?

If you only have a dock on one side of the boat, do you only loosen and tighten one ratchet strap?
I'd position the boat so that the straps are closest to the dock which means that the bow may be facing away from shore. Other than that I have put the cover on knowing there was no rain coming and just lest it loose.

This is what I did while on vacation. The cover straps are on the starboard side, no poles, just the cover and didn't cinch down the straps. Weather was good so no worries. If I had this setup at home I would back the boat in and use the straps.
1654608941507.png

Interesting, I'll probably only be towing twice a year and would likely have towed with the cover on. But now I'm thinking maybe not. Why risk damaging the cover?
With towing it's a personal preference. I have towed thousands of miles with my mooring cover and never had an issue. Lower the front pole down and put either a huge beach ball up front or a inflated tube to spread the load while trailering. I have cushions that will fly out of the boat if it's not covered, it helps keep the boat interior clean while on longer road trips and it also keeps prying eyes away when your staying at a hotel overnight.

1654609510752.png

Back