• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Mounting board for an amp

Noko

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've asked a few questions about installing a new amp and I've gotten great help. My new question is what do I mount the amp to? I'd like do place it in the space in front of the helm. I've read that guys mount it to a carpeted piece of wood. Where do you get the matching carpet? And what do you bolt the wood mounting plate too under the helm? I've read about putting spacers between the amp and whatever you mount it to for cooling. I've got 20' of 4AWG for both pos and grnd. Would it be better to mount the amp in the port storage? I have 6' RCA's but I could cut down the power leads maybe if I run them up the port side. I'm not a loud volume guy so I doubt I'm going to push my JL XD700 amp much, but my kids might.

Last edited:
Thanks for the the education (word origin and meaning, Italian) as well as the first chuckle if the day (word origin and meaning, French).

I bought but still need to install a six channel amp in my boat. There are two locations I've considered, behind the batteries (to keep the + and - leads short) or under the wiring / steering cables in the helm compartment (to keep the connections to the head unit short). I will probably go with the latter. I'm not sure yet if I will glue/epoxy a non carpeted mounting board in the spot over my feet or just drill it and mount the amp directly to it with nuts and bolts.

When I do the install and how much time I have to do it will help me choose which way I finally go but It can get very hot in the helm compartment and it is difficult to work in such a tight space, So I will likely go with the glue/epoxy configuration.

I just installed two Rockford Fosgate Amps in the empty space in front of the driver. I used some 3/4" treated plywood, covered in gray outdoor carpet that I got at home depot where all the carpet is.. (Big Rolls) I think it comes in 8' wide strips so I just bought a yard of it at 8' wide. Plenty and it was around $10. I basically cut two 8" x 24" pieces of Plywood, glued and stapled carpet to them and then mounted them with SS Screws from the backside of the console wall by drilling some holes. I kinda sandwiched the steering controls with the two pieces.

I then mounted the amps to the boards as well as a power distribution block and a ground distribution block. I ran 0 Guage Power and Ground wires from the battery bay around to the distribution blocks and ran 4 Guage from the distribution blocks to the Amps. Wired everything up and done. At the same time installed a BlueSea fused power distribution block under the guages in the helm.. I wired up my Lowrance, Fusion BT, and a couple other items to it. I'll see if I can go get some pics later.

I just installed two Rockford Fosgate Amps in the empty space in front of the driver. I used some 3/4" treated plywood, covered in gray outdoor carpet that I got at home depot where all the carpet is.. (Big Rolls) I think it comes in 8' wide strips so I just bought a yard of it at 8' wide. Plenty and it was around $10. I basically cut two 8" x 24" pieces of Plywood, glued and stapled carpet to them and then mounted them with SS Screws from the backside of the console wall by drilling some holes. I kinda sandwiched the steering controls with the two pieces.

I then mounted the amps to the boards as well as a power distribution block and a ground distribution block. I ran 0 Guage Power and Ground wires from the battery bay around to the distribution blocks and ran 4 Guage from the distribution blocks to the Amps. Wired everything up and done. At the same time installed a BlueSea fused power distribution block under the guages in the helm.. I wired up my Lowrance, Fusion BT, and a couple other items to it. I'll see if I can go get some pics later.

Here is what I did. I just used two 2x2s and cut them to the length of the amp. Where it is mounted, you don't see them.

Attachments

• 20140726_020750.jpg
    20140726_020750.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 92
I would prepare the board with carpet. Then clean the fiberglass in that area then epoxy the board to the fiberglass.

Back