• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Mounting Hitch on boat trailer for Bicycles

dan144k

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I installed a hitch mount on my boat trailer to insert a my 4 bike rack.

I tried about 10 different positions and this is the only way I found to work. With the square bow on the boat I was unable to mount on a 45 degree angle like I originally thought. I did not try off t back of the trailer.

I also had to use a 12" extension to get into the back of the van and get the bikes away from the van for turning. Also I had a 1-1/4" bike rack, So I had to to use an adapter from 1-1/4" to 2" adapter.

Trailered 6 hours and had no problems, worked great.

Swagman RV 2" Bumper Adaptor (Amazon) $38
IMG_20140801_194218_256.jpg
IMG_20140727_190834_179.jpg IMG_20140727_190658_412.jpg

Volffas

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Nice setup! I actually have more questions about your tow vehicle than your bikes. What kind of van is that? Does it have all wheel drive? We have been looking for something to haul our whole family and the boat. I have decided that Chevy Express vans are probably the best. But I'm not sure of their towing capacity or performance. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

dan144k

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think I posted most of this info in the tow vehicle section also.

It is a 2010 chevy express 2500. 12 passenger. 6.0 litre motor and 6 speed transmission RWD.
I think it s rated to tow 9000 lbs.
It tows my boat like it is not even connected to the back. I think it has plenty of power.

When it is empty is when it rides the worst, rough on the Chicago roads. I modified my suspension so it rides empty pretty well now. I removed a leaf spring and added a air suspension kit with air bags; had to add a rear facing sway bar with the softer springs to control the cross winds on the highway.

Also upgraded the stock tires to Michelin. And stock tire pressures are listed at 50psi front and 80psi rear, I run 45 psi front and 55psi rear, and have snsors to monitor pressure and temperature.

Personally I have not needed to have 4 wheel drive yet. I have launched several steep tennesse ramps and also some gravel ramps and no problems yet.

When something happens to my express van, I will most likely replace it with another van for 12 maybe 15 passengers. My family is me, wife, 3 year old. But we use the van on trips and often have 6 or 8 people with us. The van is simple but we like it. Also nice when we take boat out because I have everyone meet at my house and then we go launch boat.

Jump Right In

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@jetboater4life if you mean the one pictured above, it is possible, but I think a bit of the problem is my Thule Apex 5 is too long. It may still work in the above set-up, although I would have to investigate it further. Still looking for more ideas... but thanks to everyone so far.

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@Jump Right In not only do we have the same boat but we also have the same bike rack. Same trucks too, but yours is a little newer. :)
If the method @dan144k doesn't work for our setup then maybe welding a hitch to the back of the trailer.

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I installed a hitch mount on my boat trailer to insert a my 4 bike rack.

I tried about 10 different positions and this is the only way I found to work. With the square bow on the boat I was unable to mount on a 45 degree angle like I originally thought. I did not try off t back of the trailer.

I also had to use a 12" extension to get into the back of the van and get the bikes away from the van for turning. Also I had a 1-1/4" bike rack, So I had to to use an adapter from 1-1/4" to 2" adapter.

Trailered 6 hours and had no problems, worked great.

Swagman RV 2" Bumper Adaptor (Amazon) $38
View attachment 9501
View attachment 9502 View attachment 9503
Nice Setup Dan.

Just as an FYI to others, you DO need to "de-rate" your towing capacity when you use an extension like that. I believe a 12" extension halves tow capacity and tongue weight capacity (it may vary by manufacturer - not sure). So if you're already getting close to the capacity of your vehicle and add one of these extensions, you are asking for trouble.

I suspect Dan is O.K. with a 2500 van but if it's a 50% de-rated he's probably getting close.

Don't want anyone going out and breaking something! :)

Volffas

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think I posted most of this info in the tow vehicle section also.

It is a 2010 chevy express 2500. 12 passenger. 6.0 litre motor and 6 speed transmission RWD.
I think it s rated to tow 9000 lbs.
It tows my boat like it is not even connected to the back. I think it has plenty of power.

When it is empty is when it rides the worst, rough on the Chicago roads. I modified my suspension so it rides empty pretty well now. I removed a leaf spring and added a air suspension kit with air bags; had to add a rear facing sway bar with the softer springs to control the cross winds on the highway.

Also upgraded the stock tires to Michelin. And stock tire pressures are listed at 50psi front and 80psi rear, I run 45 psi front and 55psi rear, and have snsors to monitor pressure and temperature.

Personally I have not needed to have 4 wheel drive yet. I have launched several steep tennesse ramps and also some gravel ramps and no problems yet.

When something happens to my express van, I will most likely replace it with another van for 12 maybe 15 passengers. My family is me, wife, 3 year old. But we use the van on trips and often have 6 or 8 people with us. The van is simple but we like it. Also nice when we take boat out because I have everyone meet at my house and then we go launch boat.

Ah yes, I rember asking that question already. Sorry, it seems my mind is slipping these days. Thanks for the response! (again).