• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Moving advice: Midwest -> Florida (or Atlanta)

lgparra

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
So I'm an airline pilot by trade. Recently I've been offered positions at two different airlines. Airline A would move us down to Florida (likely live in the Tampa/Riverview/Brandon/Apollo Beach area). Airline B would move us down to Georgia (likely live in the north ATL burbs...near Lake Lanier or Lake Altoona). I'm pretty torn on where to move. I'm definitely one of the Midwesterners that despises the cold and snow so either place will be better in the sense. Florida though is much more aligned with my lifestyle/vibe with the warm-weather and year-round boating/motorcycle riding. On the flip side, I do like the idea of living very close to one of the big lakes in the north ATL area. However, I have heard that the traffic and the commute from north ATL burbs to the airport can be downright miserable and places like Lake Lanier aren't as desirable as they used to be due to overcrowding. An additional consideration is I currently own an AR195. Obviously that'd be fine in any Georgia lake until I can upgrade to something bigger. An AR195 in Florida I'm a little less sure about. I've operated both an AR210 and a 242s down in the ICW's and gulf before. Those do plenty fine but would an AR195 be okay cruising around the gulf in Florida until I can find a bigger boat down the road? Trim tabs I presume would be a must on a 195? Is dry-docking worth it? Seems convenient as hell rather than trailering.

Other than that any if any of you guys out there got any tips or input or have spent time any time in either of those two places and wouldn't mind sharing what you did/didn't like or heck even where you personally would move to given my situation would be incredibly appreciated!

If it were me Florida / Tampa area without a doubt. ATL is a crime-ridden progressive city. Traffic is a nightmare. My sister used to live in Clearwater near Tampa and it’s a nice place to live IMO. Of course not saying there isn’t crime in Tampa area. She also lived in Peachtree City just south of ATL and it was a nice but expensive place to live around that part of Georgia. Something to consider if you don’t mind a drive into and out of ATL. No way I’d live closer to ATL than that. My cousin lived further north of ATL up in the mountains and it’s beautiful up there away from the city life but much further drive to the city than I’m sure you’re interested in commuting. Lanier is more of a party lake it seems so I wouldn’t move across the country just for that lake unless you’re into that sort of thing.

Last edited:
Tampa Bay sucks stay away at all costs (unless your just visiting lol)

I live in Marietta, which is a suburb about 25 miles north of Atlanta. Pick Florida. There is just so much to do with your boat there. We trailer ours down every couple of months to do the intracoastal or springs with my in-laws. If I could make a living in Florida, I'd be there tomorrow.

195 would be fine in the bays/ICW, I see them all over in the Destin area. My opinion, Florida is a great place to live right now, and the boating is great. in No state income tax, a government/governor that supports individual liberties etc. A downside is hurricanes. Would you be living in base with either airline? If I had a the choice between Tampa and Atlanta, and was in base for either, I would take Tampa in a heart beat. Living in base and having the ability to sit reserve at home and rack up the paycheck is life changing from what I hear.

I moved from ATL to Florida in 2020, I love riding and boating like you. Boating in Florida is a dream, I have 190FSH and I go off shore all the time during summer and I take it to different area to launch, winter the waves is usually larger so I stay in intracoastal/bay. Riding in Florida is year round but cannot be replaced with Mountain riding north of Atlanta. I find it boring to ride in florida since its so flat and usually no turn roadways. Like other said, traffic is a pain in the b*tt in atlanta!

I grew up in the Atlanta Metro; born in 64. Dad worked for Lockheed, and it was great as a kid. I moved to Texas in 2005 on a corp relocation, and it was only then I realized how awful Atlanta had become.

I live in the north Atlanta suburbs. It is beautiful up here. Sounds like airline B will be Delta? Lake Lanier is awesome, huge. Has a party side and a family/calmer side. Alatoona is smaller. That being said, I would caution you that the commute to the airport would not be fun, at all. I'll leave my political opinion out of it.

From north ATL to the airport will not be enjoyable to say the least. I live on the east side of GA almost directly between ATL and Augusta. Close friend works for Delta and commutes daily. Mileage is longer but traffic is significantly less. Look up Greensboro GA and Lake Oconee.

There isn't really a dollar figure you could pay me to move any where near ATL that wasn't 7+ figures. Moving to FL is a dream of mine. Sadly don't think I'll be able to get my wife to leave NC until they go full on progressive liberal. Then we'll be forced to leave for a more free state TX/FL. We go to FL every year for vacation, sans boat. We'll be in the clearwater area in April.

Seriously, why can't some of you gentlemen, leave politics aside and just answer the question?

As the OP probably isn't planning on living in the poorest part of Atlanta, crime probably wouldn't be an issue. Two of my nieces moved to Athens, GA, with their families and love it there.

Personally, if I despised the cold and snow, my choice would be Florida over Georgia, as Georgia does get the occasional snow.

Jim

Seriously, why can't some of you gentlemen, leave politics aside and just answer the question?

Because Politics could play a significant part where someone may move to and if it isn't one of things on the checklist, you get what you get. I can assure you there are states, cities as well as countries I would absolutely not move under any circumstances, because their political agenda, govenmental agencies, schools, politicians, as well as other officials are not aligned with my views and what I believe in, how I want to live and for my families well being. I live where I live, because at this time I really have no other choice, but when the day comes I plan on moving since this area and state, at this time, is not aligned with who I am and my political views on a great many things. Furthermore, I do not like the way Michigan handles their funds and takes care of their roads, cities as well as a great deal of the public land and outdoors, and many other things. It makes me sad. Perhaps these will change over time.

Last edited:
allatoona/lanier to ATL airport would be a nightmare. don't let the distance fool you...(its still pretty far!)

and Lanier is a washing machine you will not have a calm water anywhere.

allatoona/lanier to ATL airport would be a nightmare. don't let the distance fool you...(its still pretty far!)

and Lanier is a washing machine you will not have a calm water anywhere.
Hey now. I disagree completely with the second point. The north part of the lake is calm water, south is definitely rowdy.

Don't come to Tampa, we're full lol. Jokes aside, boating in the bay(s) are fine for the most part, even they can get a little choppy in the afternoon. I've done the gulf a time or two in my 230, definitely doable but not always the most pleasant ride. As with anything else though the more experience you get the better off you are. As for the politics, well...

does the Gulf ever go calm to glass like an inland lake does from time to time?

I’ve been on the gulf in my boat with hardly any wind and excellent tidal conditions and it was like a dream. Water for miles as glassy as a lake. Well not quite as glassy but still pretty dang flat. There were a few videos of the Bimini crossings one year and I can’t remember the year but some got super lucky and had very flat conditions crossing the Atlantic. It’s rare but can happen. I think a 19’ Yamaha would be fine so long as far offshore trips weren’t an everyday trip. If it were I’d look for a larger boat. Sticking to the Gulf within a few miles or ICW cruising a 19’ would be right at home :). If I were OP I wouldn’t fret over the 19’ and see how it goes. If you find it a little too bouncy or rough you can offload the boat no problem in this market and upgrade.

I grew up in New England and moved here (Clearwater, Palm harbor and now St Petersburg) 30 years ago. Love it here and would never moved back. Love being outside all year long.

One of my sons lives in Smyna. Very pretty there but to crowded and the traffic driving to him is crazy. No thanks.

Keep in mind, the Bay can get nasty. Boat size matters. I had the SX-192 and put trim tabs on it. They helped a lot but, not as much as moving to a larger boat (with trim tabs).

Last edited:
Sure does as does the Bay. Best time to be out there; nothing like it.

If you really want warm/hot weather all year I would pick SW Florida. I have been here in SW Florida since August 2020 and really enjoy my area in Punta Gorda Isles (PGI). I am not sure what kind of work schedule you would keep as your type of pilot. That is...it's not like you are driving backing & forth to the airport every day during rush hour. My next-door neighbor is a pilot for FedEx. He works for like two or three weeks then has 3 weeks off.

Real Estate market is crazy in Tampa and most of Florida. Maybe check out the canal homes in Punta Gorda Isles where I live. Easy to jump on I-75 to get up to Tampa (90 minutes), RSW (30 minutes), or Punta Gorda Airport :) (5 minutes).

Most folks in my area just keep their boats their lifts. I sold my trailer when I got here because can't keep in the driveway, didn't fit in my garage, and would cost $1200 a year for field storage. Not that looked too much into it, but I hear Boatel (high & dry) storage can get expensive and hard to find in SW Florida.

Back