• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Moving Swim deck stereo....how to cover previous location.

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
A few months we sold our home a little quicker than expected (a little less than 24 hours) which put us in a hotel for a month before our move to TN. Well in that month, with no house work to do, COVID closures and simply going bat crazy in a 1 room hotel room with my wife, one of our boys and the dog, I took the opportunity to finally install my ballast system after 5 years of saying "soon". Thanks to my wife and @Lawman25 for helping out. Apparently folks my size can't crawl or wedge into tiny spaces.

Anyhow, now that I am finally surfing behind my own boat, I am concerned about the stereo being submerged the entire time the boat is ballasted. I am going to move the swim deck unit from the bottom platform to the top platform next to the speaker. I am looking for ideas to cover the old location or use for some other purpose. I don't want it to look like an abandoned location or some odd patch. Please give you suggestions. Thx!

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Is it a Fusion? Mine is drenched anytime we surf. As long as you have it sealed around the edges so the back of the unit isn't getting wet, I'd say don't worry about it.

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Table mount?
I considered this and need to take some measurements. My concern is not having enough fiberglass to properly attach the mount.

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Is it a Fusion? Mine is drenched anytime we surf. As long as you have it sealed around the edges so the back of the unit isn't getting wet, I'd say don't worry about it.
I have the Polk Audio PA450UM. I use to say the same thing about it being sealed but now even that makes me nervous, since we all know that seals can fail. Mine is welll sealed right now though but I still cringe to see it.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I have the Polk Audio PA450UM. I use to say the same thing about it being sealed but now even that makes me nervous, since we all know that seals can fail. Mine is welll sealed right now though but I still cringe to see it.
I would almost use it to fail and replace it, or replace it now with a better unit and seal it up. Otherwise you could move it and put a wash down port there, another pair of speakers, or fiberglass it and cover it with a sticker... all sounds at least as big as a PITA (or more) than just replacing the head unit if/when it fails.

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I would almost use it to fail and replace it, or replace it now with a better unit and seal it up. Otherwise you could move it and put a wash down port there, another pair of speakers, or fiberglass it and cover it with a sticker... all sounds at least as big as a PITA (or more) than just replacing the head unit if/when it fails.
At $450 I want to prevent failure. I replaced it once before. I remember thinking "ouch"! That's when I learned that was not a remote, but actually the head unit. Also, I actually just ripped out our washdown system to install ballast. But I totally agree, any option seams like a pain.

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Not a bad idea. I have an adapter in the wet storage already, but I like the plate idea even if I don't add a component.
So I contacted @Beachbummer about this possibility. Here's an excerpt of what he sent me:

"No problem. I used a program called OpenScad which has some complexity to it, but there is one called Tinkercad geared for kids, but we are all kids at heart right? Anyway, if you like, feel free to experiment there at tinkercad.com (it's web based, so nothing to install) and you can design the plate you need."

From there, you can take your design to a 3d printer. Hope this helps!

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
So I contacted @Beachbummer about this possibility. Here's an excerpt of what he sent me:

"No problem. I used a program called OpenScad which has some complexity to it, but there is one called Tinkercad geared for kids, but we are all kids at heart right? Anyway, if you like, feel free to experiment there at tinkercad.com (it's web based, so nothing to install) and you can design the plate you need."

From there, you can take your design to a 3d printer. Hope this helps!
Cool. Thx!

nydave

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
if you decide to design something and need help printing i have 3d printers. all you need to do is cover cost of filament and shipping and ill print for you.

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
if you decide to design something and need help printing i have 3d printers. all you need to do is cover cost of filament and shipping and ill print for you.
Awesome. Thx!

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The table support works great it has a backer plate and the fiberglass is thick just don't plan to have people dancing on the table . I did use some plywood to fill the hole during the install

20190712_093519_resized.jpg
20190703_091737_1562176986150_resized.jpg

20190703_120511_1562176984069_resized.jpg

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Very nice! Where did you get that remote? I showed it to my wife and she must have seen the sparkle in my eye, because she immediately told me I don't need another remote. Lol. Did you have a post on this mod?

ChrisM

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
I have the same system, my matching Polk transom remote was replaced twice in the first year, (despite they're supposed to be water resistant/proof) due to condensed moisture behind the display front. Been good ever since, so maybe a couple bad ones.

InmyElement

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I would go with something like this giving me access...

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I would go with something like this giving me access...
That will not fit the space well. So far I'm thinking another table mount.