• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

MR1 Engine Start issue

okula225

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This past weekend I had an interesting encounter with one engine on my ar230 with twin HO's. Upon going to start the motor after a week of sitting, it sounded very rough, would get up to 800 rpms and die. Did this twice and then thought it to be a fuel issue, give the motor some more throttle when trying to start and it sounded very rough. Saw that it was low on oil, added about a half a quart to get it to the correct level, then tried to start it up again and the same issue arose. Was going to pull it out of the water thinking that the low oil may have killed the engine, when I then turned it over and it purred like a kitten at 1200 rpms. I then drove it at 3k rpms through my lagoon to the bay where it didn't die, and then around on plane at 8k for the rest of the day. Tried to start it the following day and boom it sounded rough again. I swapped out the spark plugs, tried to turn it over and it sounded rough still. Waited 5 minutes and then it sounded ok and ran great all day. Any one experience anything like this before?

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Try some SeaFoam in the tank to clean things out in the fuel system. Sounds like you could have some water/gas where it's just enough to separate while sitting and cause issues, but when it mixes, it ratios out enough to run fine.