• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

MR1 experts 04 SX230 intermittent grinding sound in the port side engine

SRSx3

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
Hello jetboaters, MR 1 experts I noticed a very sharp grinding sound on port side of my engine, sound like a bearing but intermittent upon turning on the engine and when the water hose is on, sounds gradually disappear and gone. I'm not sure what is this sound, I just change oil, check compression, new spark plugs 2 months ago and engine is barely used 3 times only salt water though and flush after used. I'm not sure if the sound is from the intermediate bearing or power pump in the impeller itself, RPM doesn't fluctuates stays within 2,000 rpm normally. Would like to hear your opinion MR 1 experts. I'm pretty mechanical in nature, I can check whatever is your recommendation I have the complete manual but troubleshooting is more difficult to do with this engine since manual doesn't state the problem. TIA.

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You might consider removing the pump assembly and shaft. It would eliminate the possibility of the intermediate bearings and clearance issues with the impeller/housing. If it's still making noises, you know it's the engine, if it stops, you know it's something behind the engine. Not difficult to do, takes 15-20 minutes...

ripler

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
If you are running on the hose, you will get a rattling sound from the pumps.

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If it sounds like a 2 stroke dirt bike its the pump housing.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It's probably your pump bearings. My boat was doing something similar and it improved tremendously after I replaced the pump bearings.

SRSx3

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
It's probably your pump bearings. My boat was doing something similar and it improved tremendously after I replaced the pump bearings.
Thank you definitely that's what I'm thinking but i'm going to isolate the problem by removing the pump per dgfreeze... I'll keep you udpated.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yes, Good idea and good course of action. need to remove pump as was suggested to find out for certain.

SRSx3

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
Update: I remove the pump and exactly on the video that I find out, it's the pump housing needs to be replaced due to impeller is hitting on it, just like the video, I try the solas impeller housing but can't find it how to order the right one, I just order the Yamaha OEM from boats.net. Bearing are all working very well.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So you pulled the cone off the impeller and the bearing showed no sign of water intrusion?

SRSx3

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
Hello everyone, give you an update, I give up from the OEM Yamaha housing impeller, but instead order Solas housing impeller stainless steel one piece housing/wear ring and runs like a champ and no more sharp sound from the video. Thank you everyone for your help. Yamaha wear ring does corrode when water intrusion goes in, I use it in saltwater so please wash your boat properly with salt away especially on the impeller housing/wear ring so that you won't have a problem in the future. But as far as I read regarding this problem, this is the only problem that yamaha has been having flaws from it's wear ring, so I bought the one piece from Solas through Impros and it is more than $300 but worth it not having problem in the future.