• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

MR1 low oil pressure

cybuch

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I could really use some help from someone who knows more than me. Here is the story:

I have a rebuilt MR1 SBT Engine. I installed it, broke it in, and it runs great. However, when I first start it and warm it up and go WOT, the oil pressure goes up to ~60 psi. Sounds normal, right. Here is where it gets strange, over the next 10 minutes at WOT, the oil pressure gradually drops to 30 psi. It seems to stabilize at 30 psi, but I think that is too low as my other engine hits ~65 and stays there. If I stop for about 10 minutes and start it back up, she is right back at 60 PSI at WOT, but drops. I called tech support at SBT and they said, these engines run at low PSI.

Here is what I have tried so far:
Pulled oil tank, took it apart and check the screen in there, all clear.
Pulled oil pump, installed a brand new one, did find 3 small rubber pieces in that screen (no idea where they came from)
Changed oil filter and used 10W40
Dropped oil pan, all clear in there

After all this, I still have the same issue with the oil pressure dropping.
I did put it on the hose today and warmed it up, when I go hi revs and look in the oil tank, the oil starts churning and spitting up out of the filler hole (not a lot, just spits out droplets). It also gets frothy but not milky, just aerated. Tested my other engine the same way and the oil stays smooth and it doesn't spit back out the filler hole. I am thinking the issue with the oil pressure dropping is due to the oil getting frothy, but I have no idea where to go next.

I do have a Yamaha waverunner I can rob parts from. Was thinking of swapping the oil tank with the waverunner.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@cybuch Are the chain guides intact. @Jaycav had one delaminate putting shredded pieces in the oil path.

cybuch

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes, chain guides are intact

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Are both engines' oil at the same level? That could explain one aerating and one not...

cybuch

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Good thought, yes, both are at the same level

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You can remove the top of the oil tank and observe the operation of the salvage pump. It splashes a little so cover with a rag. It seems like it is oil starved with the aeration going on.

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If the pump is working (new) you have good flow from the pump. The pressure might be good when cold because clearances at bearings are tighter; but as it heats up, gaps increase and stop restricting the flow (pressure drop). Also the froth is likely due to the increase in flow (more splashing in the crank case before getting pumped again). If a bearing or bearings are worn enough for that, a soap sample of the oil might tell you if you have a lot of metal.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@cybuch How are you measuring oil pressure? I may want to mod my boat to do the same.

cybuch

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I installed a t at the oil pressure switch and added an electronic sender and ran it to my MFD.

cybuch

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@WREKS have you don this before? If I pull the cover off, the return will definitely spill out and it get to the top of the tank

@Seadeals The motor has 2 hours on it, do you think it would be that worn so quickly?

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The top two hoses are for crankcase ventilation and emissions. Oil never gets that high. If it does it pressurizes the crankcase and floods the filter at the bottom of the air box. Then it can blow the semi-circular seals on the valve gasket I will post video tomorrow.

cybuch

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@WREKS that would be awesome! Thank you

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Seadeals The motor has 2 hours on it, do you think it would be that worn so quickly?
Good point, definitely NOT worn yet...now as for tolerances as delivered by SBT, it could still be a possibility. What PSI does SBT consider “low PSI” and what is acceptable to them as far as warranty?

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

cybuch

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Seadeals its a no fault warranty, so I can run it out of oil and its covered. They said the low oul pressure switch some on at 24 psi and since thats not teipping its all good, is what they say

@WREKS I get a 404 error with that link, can you send it again, please.

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Last edited:

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

cybuch

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@WREKS yes it does, THANKS!. I will give it a try and see if I can somehow direct the inflow into the tank at high revs and see where the aeration is coming from. I think its coming from the bottom of the tank

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@cybuch The feed pump should be drawing the tank down as the salvage pump fills it. The video was made at idle or No-Wake rpm. I reused the o-ring on the oil cooler cover.