• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

MR1 PWC FX-140 HELPPPP DROPPED VALVE

Famee125

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
I bought a pair of FX-140 year 2004 in very mint condition. They both have originally 80 hours however the owner stated new motors were put in both and have roughly only 40 hours... Not sure what happened that caused them to put a new motor if they only had 80 hours however everything in the hull looked very very clean and started right up.

long story short, my wife and I been using our skis every weekend for the last month in a half. Last weekend took them out to key largo (Put in new spark plugs before going out and had to take out my wife’s air filter because it was drenched in oil from over filling the oil) so I just took her filter out.. We rode them all day in Key largo. Lots of seaweed out there so constantly had to jump off the ski to take out the seaweed, her ski did over heat a few times which we allowed it to cool down before turning it back on.
At the end of the ride her ski started riding weird, not at its full potential so we loaded the skis up. When we got home from our trip I did a compression test and no compression in cylinder 3, I pulled the head out and saw that the valve spring collapsed causing the valve to fail. The cam ate out the valve cap, luckily it did not affect the block. Anybody have any idea why this could of just randomly happened? Is there something I did wrong? I thought Yamaha was reliable and these MR1 motors are bullet proof.

Attachments