• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

MR1 Starter Replacement

Brad_Ct

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I feel for anyone that has to do this job. Port engine was cranking real slow so I figured while I had the engine cover off to install sound deadener I would replace it since I could do it while laying down on the swim platform.

I knew it was tight between the block and exhaust but you can’t even get the top bolt the way out with a ratchet and short socket, had to use a ratcheting box wrench. Then once you get the bolts out I had to stick a long screwdriver down into were the starter goes into block to pry it out.

Trying to get the bolts back in should be a real PITA.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hopefully you have cooler weather, shade or a shop to do the work. I just did some trailer wiring on the boat trailer and have none of the above so I just sweated my arse off. Was planning on changing the oil today too but I think I’ll wait to do that job.

Brad_Ct

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hopefully you have cooler weather, shade or a shop to do the work. I just did some trailer wiring on the boat trailer and have none of the above so I just sweated my arse off. Was planning on changing the oil today too but I think I’ll wait to do that job.
I have the boat in our 30x30 garage that I installed a 2 ton mini split in so no issues there.

Brad_Ct

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I’ve done it a bunch. After u lose your starter replacement virginity it’s easy as pie your second time.
LOL that may be but I really don’t want to have to do it again. I honestly don’t know how it can be done from the front of the engines.

Brad_Ct

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Installed the new one I got from SBT this afternoon, other then a little blood loss it worked out great.

On a side note, I took the old one apart and am surprised it even spun. Obviously had gotten water in it at some point and two of the brushes were rusted into the slides.

Brad_Ct

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I always bought my starters on eBay. $115 I think
I actually bought it through Amazon, it was the same price ($175) as the SBT website but I didn’t have to pay shipping. I saw others for as low as $45. but as they say, you get what you pay for.

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So my starboard engine doesn't turn over at all. I'm thinking solenoid or starter. What should I check 1st?

Brad_Ct

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So my starboard engine doesn't turn over at all. I'm thinking solenoid or starter. What should I check 1st?
Check the solenoid first, you can do that by jumping out the contacts on the solenoid itself.

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Check the solenoid first, you can do that by jumping out the contacts on the solenoid itself.
Is that located on back wall in the black box with ecu? Had trouble finding diagram of the ignition system.

Brad_Ct

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Is that located on back wall in the black box with ecu? Had trouble finding diagram of the ignition system.
You can get to the terminals without removing the black box. On the lower port corner there is a square cover with 4 screws holding onto the box. Remove the screws and the plate and you will see the terminals.

Last edited:

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You can get to the terminals without removing the black box. On the lower port corner there is a square cover with 4 screws holding onto the box. Remove the screws and the plate and you will see the terminals.
So I jumped solenoid and it turned over, but wouldn't start. What should I check next?

Brad_Ct

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Your starter is good then, have you checked the fuses that are behind the round cap above the cover you took off to get to the solenoid?

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Your starter is good then, have you checked the fuses that are behind the round cap above the cover you took off to get to the solenoid?
I checked those before going on vacation. I messed with solenoid today, but might be worth just swapping them out.

Got new solenoid on order since that seems to be 1st problem if I am correct?

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What exactly is your engine doing? Is it just one engine? Have you tried swapping ignition switches? Cleanout port switches? Lanyard switch plugs? All of these switches have circuits that will prevent the engines from starting.
hope you figure it out soon. Good luck.

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What exactly is your engine doing? Is it just one engine? Have you tried swapping ignition switches? Cleanout port switches? Lanyard switch plugs? All of these switches have circuits that will prevent the engines from starting.
hope you figure it out soon. Good luck.
Only startboard motor.

Checked all the switches, when I jump solenoid today I got the motor to crank, but my wife didn't understand she was supposed to turn key over.

Swapped ignition switches and port motor still kicked on when using the starboard ignition switch but nothing from port ignition when starboard motor was hooked up to it.

I've ordered new solenoid will install and then go from there.

Captn

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm having the same issue. Just happened today. Are you replacing just the solenoid or the whole starter? Where did you order the part?

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm having the same issue. Just happened today. Are you replacing just the solenoid or the whole starter? Where did you order the part?
Going to start with solenoid since when jumping it starter turned over.

Local yamaha dealer I know the service manager so I can get parts quicker and cheaper but service is still the same timeliness and cost.

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My issue was starter. Got solenoid changed still nothing.. took wrench tapped starter and it turned over snd cranked up.

Going to get sbt starter for 171 plus shipping