• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Multi purpose setup questions- surf, wake, slalom

WhalerMax

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
I picked up a 2017 212x this week and it is our first jet or wake boat. We do a whole lot of everything where we are with open water runs in the gulf, beaches, bars, fishing and currently ski behind a 18' or 32' center console. Son is a wakeboarder, skiis behind friends mastercrafts and can get up and surf with rope behind anything even an outboard (20' out) . I am looking to maximize wake very soon on this for surfing but do not want to do anything to negatively affect tubing, slalom, or boarding.

Ive read dozens of posts about setups for surf and wake, but head is spinning from the forum with options for wake shapers, thrust vectors, wake boosters, wake diverters, ect.

I’m looking for opinion for the best option for add ons to clean up a wake that would also be least invasive to the multiple ways we will use the boat and not too much of a hassle to swap around ect.? Is there a magic pill to lower prop wash in center for ski and shape wake on surf aide?

Also, im likely going to go with lead bags first to add weight to surf side when we get to that point because they are the least invasive to the eye and easy to distribute through the boat when not in use, but curious if a better looking option exists yet other than supplementing factory ballasts

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Congrats on the boat!

Step 1 is ballast - Ballast is what builds a surf wave. The more water you displace the larger the wave. Your boat has factory ballast, but it's a very light and has a shallow draft by design and has. Adding ballast makes the biggest difference. On our Yamaha's weighing down the swim deck on the surf side is the ideal placement for extra ballast. Weighing down the surf side, listing the boat, will accentuate the wave on the surf side.

100% full in the rear surf side
0-25% full in the rear non-surf side
100% full in the ski locker
+~700lbs on the surf side of the swim deck
0-200lbs in the bow

Step 2 is a shaper - Jet boats have the unique challenge of dealing with the jetwash. You need a shaper that designed to influence the jetwash directly. The 2 most successful devices are the Wake Wedge from Gantlin Products and the Yamaha WakeBooster (aka Wake Enhancer). My opinion is the Gantlin Wake Wedge in combination with added ballast is arguably the best. It knocks down the jetwash and sculpts the wave without aerating it, maximizing push.
@jcyamaharider developed the Wake Wedge and is a great resource. They can outfit you with ballast and the wedge.
www.wakewedge.surf

I've been riding the Gantlin wave for 5 seasons now. It really is the best!
06_09_2020_00_03_41_8720000_1.gif
In my opinion, Gantlin is where you need to shop.

Step 3 is speed control - Your boat is equip with a GPS based cruise assist but you'll find the need during any boarding or skiing sessions that your speed will require constant monitoring. Hydrophase makes a GPS based speed control called Ridesteady that is life changing! It will maintain speed to the nearest .10mph, it also has the added feature of full time engine synchronization. It is essential if you're into watersports.

If you find yourself looking for a board, feel free to reach out. Transom Watersports is my hobby hustle. I'd be happy to offer a recommendation and hook you up with a generous discount.
www.transomwatersports.com

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
For wakeboarding and skiing, I don't feel there's a need for any additional shaping modification. For wakeboarding, fill the ballast, find the right length for the rope and let it rip.
GH010070_1598017994520_1.gif

As mentioned above, the Ridesteady is a essential for boarding, skiing, or even general cruising. Set the speed and focus on driving.

WhalerMax

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Fantastic, thanks a ton gents. I’m going to look into the recommendations made.

We let the kids surf it today, they killed it with a rope but didn’t have enough wave to push them without more weight

For some reason, my factory ballasts wouldn’t fill on the connext screen. Wouldn’t even give me the cursor from the joystick and I tried to recalibrate. 2 of the 3 (port and center) bags filled and emptied and the other did not. We got rain so we didn’t get to troubleshoot any further

Last edited:

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Try the pump jumper cable listed in the classifieds. These systems get out of sync with the timers . It Allows you run any of the pumps to fill or empty and with some fittings you can use any pump to fill or empty any bag or expand to other bags .

WhalerMax

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Will do, appreciate it