• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Multiple dock lines on little Yamaha cleats

Tim in MD

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm about to install a pair of mooring whips at the end of my dock for my AR210. Since the end of my dock is 10' wide, I'll be tying up to the aft and midships cleats - won't use the bow cleat at all. I have a boat lift, but at low tide, I can't float my boat off the lift bunks, so the whips will be used when my boating plans don't line up with the tide timing. Boat will occasionally be on the whips overnight, but never longer than one night.

To use the whips properly, I understand I need to tie to each boat cleat: the line from the whip, a short line directly from dock cleat to boat cleat, and a spring line from the dock cleat to the boat cleat (i.e. lines that will cross each other like an "X"). So, I need to somehow get three dock lines onto each boat cleat. Using 3/8" line, I don't think I can do that - I don't think they'll fit, at least not securely?

I have an idea of tying a short loop of line on each boat cleat to make a ~8" diameter circle of line, and then tying the dock lines and whip line to that using bowline knots. The other ends of the dock lines would then be cleated to the dock cleats.

Does that make sense? Is there a better way? Is there a product out there that would help me out? Can I use small diameter lines? Thanks for any suggestions!

Troch1

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Use your bow cleat for one of your spring lines (ie mid-ship dock cleat to bow boat cleat).

Alternate spliced loop and tied on the same cleat.

Tim in MD

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks - good idea on the spring line - that solves the midship cleat issue. I'll still end up with 3 lines on the aft cleat, even if one or two are loops. I'll try it this weekend, but still seems like a lot to secure on that little cleat?