• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Must have equipment for new boaters - Yamaha 212x

Buckeye Boater 79

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Hello we just purchased our first boat (2019 Yamaha 212x).
We still have several months here in Ohio until we will pick it up, so we are wanting to start buying the extras that we need to get started.
Any tips or recommendations from the pros would be appreciated.
Here is the short list so far that we have purchased.
Several tubes, rope.
Pump
Two wakeboards and rope.
16lb richter anchor 150 ft anchor line, chain.
Life jackets

What else is a must for new boaters?
Fenders? What kind and size, how many?
Fire extinguishers and mount recommendations
Add’l anchor?

Thanks for any information you can provide.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Stoltz bow roller
12v high volume air inflator - hook to battery w gator clips and blow up those tubes
Airhead gangplank for the kids to play on while floating

Links to all in my sig doc although, I think there’s a newer bow roller designed for the shorelandr trailer than I got. Search around here, it’s a common thing.

Enjoy!!!

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Things I carry:

- Small toolkit with ratchet to tighten clamps, pliers, adjustable wrench, etc.
- Pocket knife
- Spare spark plugs (and correct tools to change them)
- Spare fuses or other "consumables"
- Spare quart of oil
- Jumper pack (the small kind that sells for like 50-$70 on Amazon). You might be careful not to kill your battery (or even have a dual battery setup) but MANY others are not. Nothing worst than being stuck helping someone out by towing them for long periods of time. You can easily boost them and get on with your day and come out as a hero. Plus, backup for yourself.
- Flares
- Spare kill cord
- Lots of rope of various lengths
- I keep inexpensive, hoodies of various sizes... they have come in handy, many, many times when people under dress for the weather
- Toilet paper
- Water bottles
- Shore spike/cork screw/anchor
- Love the anchor buddy bungie thing... we use it a lot when anchoring at islands or beaches

PJ73

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
So much to list. Pretty much all your safety gear. You'll figure out what you'll need on a daily. I cannot stress enough to HAVE A CHECKLIST!!!! Those who don't, will usually forget something important, like... oh, the drain plug. and then next thing you know, you're wondering why you're sitting so low in the water.
You and your significant other will usually get a routine down. I usually go through the checklist as I'm getting the boat ready at home while she is packing up the coolers and getting the kids stuff together. We had someone on the forum a few months ago posted that he was getting the boat ready, got distracted by a family member and forgot to put in one of his tower pins.
Your checklist can be adjusted to your needs as you become more comfortable with your boat and how you boat.
I always carry two anchors. one for bow and one for aft.
Fenders - I would do maybe 20 or 23". If you're tying up, I would carry 4. If you usually don't, then 2 -3 should be good. I have the Mission fenders but I like expensive things. lol.

KEY FLOATS!!! Put your keys on the foam floats. If you drop them and they're not on floats, kiss them goodbye. These are mine. Have fun with your stuff, your boat is there to enjoy. Oh, and have you thought of a name?
IMG_6626.JPG
I know I'm missing a lot, but there's a lot to get started. Once you have all your safety equipment, the rest will come as you boat.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I live in Florida and always keep these on the boat

Coast Guard kit
Extra life jackets (that fit!)
Dual Batteries w/good quality switch
Battery Charger/Maintainer
Spare Tool Kit
Spare Drain plug
Good Quality Stereo, Amp, Extra Speakers
Get Spotify (or similar) with your own playlist
High Power Straight Beam LED Light
GPS with Depth Finder and Maps
Extra Dock Lines
Big Fenders (4)
(2) Anchors with 6' min chain one for the front another for the back. Get black rope (white always show rust spots)
Ponchos
Hats
Sunscreen
Extra Towels
Phone Charger
Cooler and koozies
Quick Disconnects for Flushing Engine
Good Attitude, Lots of Patience and a BIG smile cause your having fun.

AlphaKap

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I think your boat comes with a fire extinguisher so check that before you buy one. Probably mounted where the battery is.

Buckeye Boater 79

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Thanks for all of the reply so far! I am adding a lot of the items to my amazon account so I know what I still need to get before we pick up the boat.

Buckeye Boater 79

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I think your boat comes with a fire extinguisher so check that before you buy one. Probably mounted where the battery is.
Thanks! That would be nice if it did. I will have to check when we pick it up.

Buckeye Boater 79

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
So much to list. Pretty much all your safety gear. You'll figure out what you'll need on a daily. I cannot stress enough to HAVE A CHECKLIST!!!! Those who don't, will usually forget something important, like... oh, the drain plug. and then next thing you know, you're wondering why you're sitting so low in the water.
You and your significant other will usually get a routine down. I usually go through the checklist as I'm getting the boat ready at home while she is packing up the coolers and getting the kids stuff together. We had someone on the forum a few months ago posted that he was getting the boat ready, got distracted by a family member and forgot to put in one of his tower pins.
Your checklist can be adjusted to your needs as you become more comfortable with your boat and how you boat.
I always carry two anchors. one for bow and one for aft.
Fenders - I would do maybe 20 or 23". If you're tying up, I would carry 4. If you usually don't, then 2 -3 should be good. I have the Mission fenders but I like expensive things. lol.

KEY FLOATS!!! Put your keys on the foam floats. If you drop them and they're not on floats, kiss them goodbye. These are mine. Have fun with your stuff, your boat is there to enjoy. Oh, and have you thought of a name?
View attachment 88523
I know I'm missing a lot, but there's a lot to get started. Once you have all your safety equipment, the rest will come as you boat.
Thanks for the info. I did not even think of key floats. How do you like the mission fenders? I read mixed reviews on them.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Sodium bicarbonate fire extinguisher for dry chemical agent. Do not use ABC unless you don't care what happens to electronics and metals after a fire. I use both CO2 and sodium bicarb or "regular" as we call it.

Fenders I think were 8" diameter. Don’t get really small fenders for these boats. Due to the way the front bow angles and the placement of the front cleat, you'll want the extra protection of a larger fender. The rear cleat also is lower than it should be IMO and you need a larger fender there mainly to help keep the stern from sliding under a tall dock. Get a Fender Tender for a midship protection so it can free up the midship cleat. The cleats are not larger in these boats and it can get cramped with a fender rope and dock lines.

I don't recommend black dock or rope lines. The reason being is this is a jet boat. Ropes are the devil to jet boats. Someone will eventually let a rope into the water near your boat and you WILL want to be able to find it. Black just disappears in all but the clearest of waters. Stick with bright colored ropes. Yea they'll show rust signs but ropes aren't meant for beauty contests and they don't get you home any faster if you pick a certain color.

Keep a first aid kit on the boat. I've used mine more times than I like to admit. Ever pull up to a dock, reach out to tie up only to pull back a 2" splinter in your hand? Yea it sucks. Keep a first aid kit especially one with some tweezers.

Tools. Don't go overboard with this and carry a full tool chest worth of junk and weight but also have what you need to take apart things. Several types of pliers, screw drivers, knife, a few common wrenches, small socket set. Also keep the tools needed to pull your pump should you ever need to. To save from lugging tools in and out with you from your house, shop whatever to the boat each time, just buy some cheap tools and keep them in the boat. Keep your nice stuff at home or the shop.

Bungee ropes. They're awesome and quick to use.

There's a ton of stuff we could suggest and some good stuff has already been mentioned. There are a few similar threads like this as well I'm sure has other things people might not have mentioned yet. I wouldn't go all out and buy all sorts of mods just yet. Get the basics you need for a fun, safe and legal day out then worry about farkling your boat how you want it. You will quickly know what you like to add or change to make it your own. We love to spend other people's money too.

Never approach anything at a speed you're not willing to hit it. Take your time around the docks. I always tell people to practice jet boat slow speed manuevering using a floating object in the water like a fender without rope (so you don't suck it up). That way you can practice docking maneuvers without worrying about a stationary object causing damage.

Last but least don't forget to have fun. Maiden voyages can be stressful, if you let them, or they can be enjoyable if you do your homework before ever getting the boat wet. I'm also going to suggest you actually watch the DVD that comes with the boat. Yea it's a bit dry but it's got valuable info for any new jetboat owner, especially flushing. Oh and read the manual. It has everything you need to know about these boats. Everything else you can find already posted in this forum. It's a great resource.

Last edited:

Bbottom

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If this has already been mentioned i appologize, and being a medic for 18 years, i put together a first aid kit that included:
Band aids
hydrogen peroxide
4x4's
curlex
Kling
neosporin
tourniquet (worst case scenario) with props ect.
Basically a bunch of bandaging from the smallest scratch to the large laceration.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We had someone on the forum a few months ago posted that he was getting the boat ready, got distracted by a family member and forgot to put in one of his tower pins.
That was me. Been boating for the majority of my life. Been a boat owner for the better part of 10yrs now. I still forget stuff from time to time. Written checklist seems to formal for my liking, but it would've saved me some headache on more than one occasion.

Hello we just purchased our first boat (2019 Yamaha 212x).
We still have several months here in Ohio until we will pick it up, so we are wanting to start buying the extras that we need to get started.
Any tips or recommendations from the pros would be appreciated.
I assume by the list, and the question that you are first time boat owners. Here's some unsolicited advice that I give any new boaters.......Take from it what you want.

I HIGHLY suggest taking a day off work and spend it launching and retrieving your new boat. Take a day in the middle of the week where there isn't a big crowd, and you and your partner can launch/retrieve as many times as you need to in order to feel comfortable doing it. Back the truck in, pull the truck out. Put the boat on, take the boat off. Figure out speeds, depths, heights, lengths, turning circles, etc. The more you can practice the better it will work for you on a crowded holiday weekend when you have another family with you, and there are 101 people waiting to get into/out of the water in their boats. This practice CAN NOT be stressed enough. There is nothing worse than being in a rush, doing something you aren't very well practiced at, and being watched by 100 other people. It's the equivalent of acting on stage to a play you've never rehearsed IMO. Save yourself the time, headache, personal drama, and potential damage and do some rehearsals. I PROMISE it's worth it.

My wife and I did this. We were fortunate that the guy who sold us our first boat FORCED us to do this before he would sign the title. We thought it was a bunch of BS and were a little peeved at the time. Looking back it was the best thing he did for us on that deal. We have a "well oiled machine" feel to our launches, retrievals, and docking routines now. We each knows what the other needs to do, and any guests we have just have to sit there and enjoy the ride, we've got it covered. It's a great feeling, especially when you can back in, launch/retrieve, and get out of the way, while others are fighting to get the boat lined up, the trailer deep enough, etc.

The second most important thing to do, and you'll want to bring this with you on each outing.......a big 'ol tall glass of patience. You've got all day to do all the things. There will be plenty of time to ride that new wakeboard, or go explore that new cove, or take that nap in your hammock hanging from the tower. Don't rush the process at any point. Speeding things up leads to cutting corners, forgetting things, and a ton of potential safety issues. Take your time and be patient with everyone and everything. Your guests might take forever to get on the boat and settled. There might be a 20 boat line to get in the water. There might be any number of things that are keeping you from just getting to what you want to do. Take it in stride, take a deep breathe, and roll with it. Stop and take measure of your surroundings, your process, and your equipment regularly. That patience alone will save you headache, and damage along the way......again, I PROMISE it's worth it.

Last edited:

PJ73

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
If this has already been mentioned i appologize, and being a medic for 18 years, i put together a first aid kit that included:
Band aids
hydrogen peroxide
4x4's
curlex
Kling
neosporin
tourniquet (worst case scenario) with props ect.
Basically a bunch of bandaging from the smallest scratch to the large laceration.
You sound like you're in my line of business...

JBehrens

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If it helps, treat driving the boat similar to flying a plane. Pilots won't do anything without a checklist for each step, it is good to help you establish a retune of everything you need to do before heading out and when pulling the boat at the end of the day.

Depending on where you boat and what your emergency prep mindset is, a Spot Beacon or EPERB is something to have on the boat. I do a lot of boating on lakes with no cell phone service and limited radio communication making calling for help difficult. Depending on where you go, it could be a good thing to have.

Bbottom

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You sound like you're in my line of business...
I was a Field Supervisor for EMSA here in OKC for many moons. Had a career change working in Oil and Gas now. I guess the safety and medical side just never leaves.

hamsammy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I can vouch for the Mission fenders. They are well worth the money for the ease of adjustability. Get the Airhead SUP suction cup tie downs and you can position them about anywhere on your hull.

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Wow, Airhead SUP suction cup tie downs... I wish I knew this existed a few years ago!!! That's awesome! Thank you! *proceeds to order them immediately*

Buckeye Boater 79

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
That was me. Been boating for the majority of my life. Been a boat owner for the better part of 10yrs now. I still forget stuff from time to time. Written checklist seems to formal for my liking, but it would've saved me some headache on more than one occasion.

I assume by the list, and the question that you are first time boat owners. Here's some unsolicited advice that I give any new boaters.......Take from it what you want.

I HIGHLY suggest taking a day off work and spend it launching and retrieving your new boat. Take a day in the middle of the week where there isn't a big crowd, and you and your partner can launch/retrieve as many times as you need to in order to feel comfortable doing it. Back the truck in, pull the truck out. Put the boat on, take the boat off. Figure out speeds, depths, heights, lengths, turning circles, etc. The more you can practice the better it will work for you on a crowded holiday weekend when you have another family with you, and there are 101 people waiting to get into/out of the water in their boats. This practice CAN NOT be stressed enough. There is nothing worse than being in a rush, doing something you aren't very well practiced at, and being watched by 100 other people. It's the equivalent of acting on stage to a play you've never rehearsed IMO. Save yourself the time, headache, personal drama, and potential damage and do some rehearsals. I PROMISE it's worth it.

My wife and I did this. We were fortunate that the guy who sold us our first boat FORCED us to do this before he would sign the title. We thought it was a bunch of BS and were a little peeved at the time. Looking back it was the best thing he did for us on that deal. We have a "well oiled machine" feel to our launches, retrievals, and docking routines now. We each knows what the other needs to do, and any guests we have just have to sit there and enjoy the ride, we've got it covered. It's a great feeling, especially when you can back in, launch/retrieve, and get out of the way, while others are fighting to get the boat lined up, the trailer deep enough, etc.

The second most important thing to do, and you'll want to bring this with you on each outing.......a big 'ol tall glass of patience. You've got all day to do all the things. There will be plenty of time to ride that new wakeboard, or go explore that new cove, or take that nap in your hammock hanging from the tower. Don't rush the process at any point. Speeding things up leads to cutting corners, forgetting things, and a ton of potential safety issues. Take your time and be patient with everyone and everything. Your guests might take forever to get on the boat and settled. There might be a 20 boat line to get in the water. There might be any number of things that are keeping you from just getting to what you want to do. Take it in stride, take a deep breathe, and roll with it. Stop and take measure of your surroundings, your process, and your equipment regularly. That patience alone will save you headache, and damage along the way......again, I PROMISE it's worth it.
Thanks for the advice. We are definitely planning on doing the rehearsals on A slow weekday for sure until we get our routine down. Did you say hammock hanging from the tower? I will have to search for that one.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for the advice. We are definitely planning on doing the rehearsals on A slow weekday for sure until we get our routine down. Did you say hammock hanging from the tower? I will have to search for that one.
Yeap, I sleep in a hammock hanging from my tower on a semi-regular basis. There is a thread on here somewhere with my buddy hanging from his tower on his Axis.

It's worth finding that image for the "background" as well.......you'll know when you see it.