• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

My 2011 Yamaha 242 LS

Clayton Danyew

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I Finally finished the stereo upgrade and wanted to post it for anyone else looking to do a similar build, or looking for tips/tricks/advice.

Screenshot_20180326-214039_Gallery.jpg
20180304_205119.jpg
Snapchat-1434544158.jpg

When I bought it, everything was stock, and 5 of the 6 speakers had been blown. Immediately replaced all 6 speakers with new Kenwood KFC-1653MRW 6.5" 2-way Marine Speakers as well as the stock tweeters with JL Audio C2-075ct 0.75" tweeters. Six wasn't enough so I added two more near the captains and passenger seat near mid cabin. Simply drilled the holes and ran the wires. There was plenty of space behind the area I cut it. It helps to remove the "glove box" on the passenger side to gain more access to it.

20180326_181334.jpg
20180326_181054.jpg
20180326_181146.jpg
20180326_181159.jpg

20180326_181209.jpg

Also replaced the old head unit with a new Aquatic AV Bluetooth Waterproof Marine Stereo (AQ-MP-5BT) as well as Aquatic AV Wired Marine Remote Control (AQ-WR-5F).

20180326_181319.jpg
20180326_181426.jpg

Next I wired the tower for two dual speaker pods. Ended up getting four Kicker 12KMTEDW. I couldn't fit the wires down through the tower with the stock wires so I ended up drilling a hole through the tower and into the hull towards the base and installing a quick disconnect so that it wouldn't mess with the boat cover.

20180326_181313.jpg

I put 3 subs on the boat. One is a 12" PIONEER TS-SW3002S4 in a shallow mount box below the front driver side seat. The other two are 10" Rockville MS10LW mounted below the bench seat on the driver's side. Word of advice, 12" subs do not fit in that space, I learned that the hard way.

20180326_181246.jpg
20180326_181118.jpg

I'm powering all the speakers with a 4 channel Pyle PLMRA420 1000W amp, and an 8 channel Rockville RXM8BTW 1500W amp. I mounted them on the forward section in the storage space in front of the driver's seat. I simply glued and screwed a cutting board to the fiberglass and mounted the amps to that. I wired everything around the top following the stock cables. This option maximized that storage space and you still have access to everything behind the dash if you need to get to it.

20180326_181218.jpg
20180326_181224.jpg

I added two 29HM deep cycle batteries in parallel to power the house and stereo, then rewired the original two batteries in parallel for the engines. Shouldn't have any issues with power anytime soon.

20180326_181037.jpg

Now I know that this is no JL or Wet Sounds stereo, but I wasn't ready to spend $4k quite yet. I think all in I have spent about 1500$ and I think it sounds awesome. Definitely going to be THAT guy on the Sandbar this summer.

Let me know what you think, if you have any tips for me, or if I can help anyone going through a similar upgrade. If anyone's out on Lake Keowee this summer, don't hesitate to come say hey.

***If anyone in the upstate SC region (Atlanta/Greenville/Charlotte) is looking to have their boats reupholstered, I highly recommend Anchor Stitch in Easley, SC. I think the pictures speak for themselves, and the price was ridiculous. Entire boat, custom colors, every cushion, removal and reinstallation was $4500, only took 6 weeks, and she even did a few extra things for me at no charge. Contact Julie at W:864-307-9650 or C:616-450-0145

Last edited:

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
LOOKS AMAZING!!! @Clayton Danyew great job, came out cherry.

I am a tad bias as that was the boat I just came out of so I know you have a great vessel....I just sold my 2011 242 LS last summer. Was actually in good shape and the new owner is loving it, as I'm sure you are too...

Interior looks awesome, sound system looks solid!!

What's your favorite part now that's she's practically brand-new

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Heck yeah man!!! Looks great! Keep up the good work and maintain it. Should last forever!

My next upgrade is batteries with 4 power robbing amps I need more power!!

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
What a great budget build. People need to be aware they don't need to spend the big bucks for JL and WS to still get the sounding good and loud.

Clayton Danyew

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
LOOKS AMAZING!!! @Clayton Danyew great job, came out cherry.

I am a tad bias as that was the boat I just came out of so I know you have a great vessel....I just sold my 2011 242 LS last summer. Was actually in good shape and the new owner is loving it, as I'm sure you are too...

Interior looks awesome, sound system looks solid!!

What's your favorite part now that's she's practically brand-new
Thanks! Lots of work but worth every minute. My favorite part now? Not having to working on it anymore and actually getting to enjoy it. Haha. Just need some warmer weather.

Clayton Danyew

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Heck yeah man!!! Looks great! Keep up the good work and maintain it. Should last forever!

My next upgrade is batteries with 4 power robbing amps I need more power!!
Thanks! I probably didn't NEED the extra batteries, or could have gone with 3 (2 for house), but I found a great deal actually from advanced Auto, got both of the big batteries for 150$ total, and the cables to wire them together were 8$ per pair from Amazon. Definitely worth the peace of mind.

Clayton Danyew

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
What a great budget build. People need to be aware they don't need to spend the big bucks for JL and WS to still get the sounding good and loud.
Thanks. And I totally agree. If you weren't actually on the boat looking at the system you'd probably never be able to tell the difference just hearing it. I think all 8 of my deck speakers cost the same as one pair of JLs. Haha.

Hector

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I don’t know much about the stereo equipment you’re using but I do want to comment on the neatness of your install.
I have seen some high dollar equipment installed in a manner I would be afraid to hit a wake and the boat catch on fire, lol.
Great job on the install

Clayton Danyew

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I don’t know much about the stereo equipment you’re using but I do want to comment on the neatness of your install.
I have seen some high dollar equipment installed in a manner I would be afraid to hit a wake and the boat catch on fire, lol.
Great job on the install
Thank you, first boat, first stereo upgrade, think it turned out pretty well. And I'm a bit OCD so I wouldn't have been able to deal with a messy install or cables hanging all over the place. Its all middle of the line type stuff. Don't need to spend big money to still have it look and sound good. Thanks for the feedback.

afdouble

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Thank you, first boat, first stereo upgrade, think it turned out pretty well. And I'm a bit OCD so I wouldn't have been able to deal with a messy install or cables hanging all over the place. Its all middle of the line type stuff. Don't need to spend big money to still have it look and sound good. Thanks for the feedback.
I swear i saw you driving down hwy 123 today, if not, missed a great chance to be your boat

Clayton Danyew

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I swear i saw you driving down hwy 123 today, if not, missed a great chance to be your boat
If it was around 1130/12 then that was me. Black Dodge ram? Was on keowee today. Be out again tomorrow.

Clayton Danyew

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
It was definitely you then. I was on Keowee earlier and had to get back to Greenville.
Small world. Haha. I'll be out again tomorrow. And basically every nice weekend through the summer. Come say hi if you see me out.

Bark3rd

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have a 2010 242 LTD S with the crusty old Aquatics in it. Is the M608 you installed a plug and play with the OEM head unit?