• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

My 8 year old wakesurfing....

AJR1977

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Lots of people on here tubing with their kids and using the various kids learner boards...
Heres a video of one of my sons who's 8 waking surfing. This is his second summer of water sports, maybe 10 outings per summer? Last year he figured out how to wakeboard which is a little easier to get up due to the board not floating away. This year he decided he wanted to surf. I wasn't using any external ballast or a wake wedge in the video. I think if I was he might have been able to drop the rope? But he's having the time of his life back there and building huge amounts of confidence and self esteem!!!!!

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Awesome! If you slow down a little he could go rope less without ballast or wedge!

AJR1977

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Awesome! If you slow down a little he could go rope less without ballast or wedge!
Interesting.... That's about 10.2-10.5 when I use the wedge and ballast bag that's pretty much the sweetspot for me to cruise ropeless. You think without the wedge slower than that is better?

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Earlier this year I had three teenage girls in the boat - two daughters and a friend - one of them had been wakeboarding and we were a ways from base camp when she finally tired out. I suggested that someone wake surf back and I filled zero ballast and don't have a wedge.

I let the wake show me what speed to go and she was able to go ropeless. I don't recall the speed now, but it was below 10mph. It wouldn't work for someone larger - she is barely over 100 lbs, and she couldn't do any tricks but she could ride about a mile back to camp.

dan144k

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My 6 year old started kneeboarding this year.
I had to stand in the river to stabilize him and drag behind him for the start, but he stayed up well. He is not willing to try surfing yet

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
3518CD5B-5596-46D6-9B7A-FE9310FF3223.jpeg 7! I don’t have great pictures but he has had slack in the rope. At the rate I’m going he will be ropeless before me as I never have a driver and he always has one! :winkingthumbsup"

MGoMike

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Lots of people on here tubing with their kids and using the various kids learner boards...
Heres a video of one of my sons who's 8 waking surfing. This is his second summer of water sports, maybe 10 outings per summer? Last year he figured out how to wakeboard which is a little easier to get up due to the board not floating away. This year he decided he wanted to surf. I wasn't using any external ballast or a wake wedge in the video. I think if I was he might have been able to drop the rope? But he's having the time of his life back there and building huge amounts of confidence and self esteem!!!!!

Sweet! What is the board he is riding? I’ve got a couple boys around his size and want to try them wakesurfing. Of course, all of this hinges upon me getting our first boat... planning on a 2019 212x in the spring.

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
F0C955CF-95D2-4CED-B96B-7FBA9B82982D.jpeg 679F2D04-0469-4447-A27F-1BD0D08C060F.jpeg Not sure what he likes best. As much as I want to master surfing I get a lot more enjoyment out watching this. This is why why we have a Yamaha, from this we pull up to the sand bar and let the kids play on the sand.

Last edited:

AJR1977

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Sweet! What is the board he is riding? I’ve got a couple boys around his size and want to try them wakesurfing. Of course, all of this hinges upon me getting our first boat... planning on a 2019 212x in the spring.
Its a Ronix powertail kids board (or certainly the smallest one they make)

JDRacing

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
That was a mistake from big thumbs and small icons on my phone while reading this thread. Sorry about that.

DavisAR195

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Just ordered my daughter a wake surf board from WakeMakers taking advantage of their black Friday deals and the Yamaha discount code for an extra 10% off. Cannot wait for summer and getting her started after all it's all about creating memories for the little ones.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just ordered my daughter a wake surf board from WakeMakers taking advantage of their black Friday deals and the Yamaha discount code for an extra 10% off. Cannot wait for summer and getting her started after all it's all about creating memories for the little ones.
Two thumbs up for this! it's about memories but it's also a great confidence builder, have they wakeboarded before? not a prerequisite but would be helpful, just feeling of being towed, if not maybe try to get a ride with somebody close by so they can see it in person and know what success looks like before they try it, even if they just sit on the board and get towed around to get the feeling, keep it a positive experience!

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Which one did you get?
We have literally been using one single board - by my entire family, lol, a 59” Hyperlite Quad. It is an unbelievably good board but... just a little unfair to the 12yo..., lol.

DavisAR195

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Scottintexas She is only 4 1/2 but she has already wake boarded with me the last two summers and tubed on her own. I really thought about starting her out on her own wake board but after considering two factors, #1 it will be difficult for her to flip the board on her own in the water while strapped in and #2 the higher speeds of wake boarding compared to wake surfing. I plan on starting her on her knees and then moving to close starts with me on the back deck helping her.

@swatski Since she will only be 5 next summer I wanted to start her out on a smaller board, so I picked up the Hyperlite Gromcast 3' 9" for $214.19.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Scottintexas She is only 4 1/2 but she has already wake boarded with me the last two summers and tubed on her own. I really thought about starting her out on her own wake board but after considering two factors, #1 it will be difficult for her to flip the board on her own in the water while strapped in and #2 the higher speeds of wake boarding compared to wake surfing. I plan on starting her on her knees and then moving to close starts with me on the back deck helping her.

@swatski Since she will only be 5 next summer I wanted to start her out on a smaller board, so I picked up the Hyperlite Gromcast 3' 9" for $214.19.
We have had amazing success with 5-6 yos on the ZUP2.0. I think last season my wife has been responsible for at least 4 families ordering one after she showed them what to do.
It is also amazing for adults with no experience, regardless of physical shape and ability.
upload_2018-11-27_13-39-48.png
upload_2018-11-27_13-40-15.png

--