• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

My Awesome Shade

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Also it can be used while the boat is underway so it does not need to be taken down when you decide to change locations or go cruising.
In regards to this, there is a little bit of conflicting information from the installation video in my original post and the manufacturer's website. The video claims it's not designed to be used while under power, whereas the site makes the claims, "You can run run up to 30 knots while in the standard aft position."

We've always taken it down each time we've had it up due to the fact we're either done for the day or planning on using the tower for watersports activities. Though I predict it would do fine at cruising speeds and I've had intentions of trying it out.

@JetBoatPilot, does the JBP shade have the same stretchable type properties as the T-Top Boat Shade depicts?

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
In regards to this, there is a little bit of conflicting information from the installation video in my original post and the manufacturer's website. The video claims it's not designed to be used while under power, whereas the site makes the claims, "You can run run up to 30 knots while in the standard aft position."

We've always taken it down each time we've had it up due to the fact we're either done for the day or planning on using the tower for watersports activities. Though I predict it would do fine at cruising speeds and I've had intentions of trying it out.

@JetBoatPilot, does the JBP shade have the same stretchable type properties as the T-Top Boat Shade depicts?
I don't think it stretches. It is more like a shade sail which is very strong and pulled tight for strength.

djrobb

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@J-RAD , I have a 2017 SX240. I’d like to model my extension after your setup with the obvious difference of extending my SX style Bimini. To get more coverage on the swim platform is there any reason I shouldn’t use 30 degree rod holders? Is there room for that angle in the space of the existing cup holders?

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@J-RAD , I have a 2017 SX240. I’d like to model my extension after your setup with the obvious difference of extending my SX style Bimini. To get more coverage on the swim platform is there any reason I shouldn’t use 30 degree rod holders? Is there room for that angle in the space of the existing cup holders?
I think the 30-degree rod holders should work. Just not the 90 due to the water boxes for the exhaust below.

Krats

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
There are many posts here on shades, I hope you'll all entertain 1 more.

Preview:
View attachment 83068

After enduring 2 seasons with just my little bimini I began to research adding some additional shade to my AR240. I think I came up with a pretty unique solution, and one I've not seen pulled off on a Yamaha boat similar to mine. I've had a chance to use it a couple of times now and I am really proud of how it's worked out.

I'm envious of the models with the larger biminis (wouldn't be able to clear the eave of my house), but the versatility of what I now have is hard to beat. I'd even consider utilizing the "canvas" portion of this shade as a curtain option even if I had one of the large biminis... It's just so versatile in it's applications.

Without being critical of anyone, I wanted something a little more than the umbrellas I was seeing folks use. I liked the simplicity of those and wanted something that compared in its ease of use but it wasn't the look or functionality I desired. I had the idea of adding to the rear bimini as some have done, but when I stumbled across my end solution I though it was an even better concept.

While researching stumbled across this video and the ideas began to flow:

Manufacturers website:
T-Top Boat Shade Kit

As depicted in the video the kit utilizes telescoping poles inserted into rod holders to support the rear of the shade. Obviously my AR240 isn't equip with such holders. However, upon reaching the manufacturer's website I quickly discovered the availability of the Mate Series cup/rod holders. Finding those made the solution obvious... replace a pair of the cup holders on the swim deck (as several here already have) and use those to support the poles.

From that point, I was sold, and began researching the install of the cup/rod holders and talking measurements to determine sizing and the proof of concept.
View attachment 83069
I first ordered the Mate Series 30 degree cup/rod holders (not cheap) and contacted LaPorte's Products directly with the measurements necessary to determine the best fit for the T-Top Boat Shade Kit. It was determined a 5'(W) X 6'(L) aft only shade is what would fit best for the application.

When they arrived I began the mock up process with the cup/rod. My original intentions were to install the 30 degree holders in place of the cup holders on the upper portion of the swim deck. After removing one of them I quickly discovered a flaw in my plan... Apparently Yamaha decided that directly below the cup holders was the best place to put the exhaust resonators which obstruct the passage for the rod tube. Upon this discovery, I had to revise my plan slightly and instead install 15 degree cup/rod holders in place of the cup holders on the lower swim deck. I did a little write up of that situation in another thread. This proved to only be a minor setback. Having had both the Mate Series holders and the rods in my possession did aid me in determining to switch brands for the cup/rod holders and instead go with the Amarine brand ones, which were much more affordable ($40 ea. Vs. $120 ea.) The differences are a slightly larger cup and slightly larger tube for the rod. The poles were a perfect fit in the Mate Series tube but have some play in the Amarine version, I decided I could always add a spacer to the bottom of the poles if needed... it wasn't enough of a difference in size or quality to justify paying triple the cost...

Due to the fact these cups would now be holding a load, I decided to reinforce the structure of the thin fiberglass by fabricating some plastic rings made from a cheap cutting board by using a couple of hole saws.
View attachment 83070 View attachment 83071 View attachment 83072 View attachment 83073 View attachment 83074 View attachment 83075
I used epoxy and clamps to fasten rings, placed and aligned the holders, then predrilled holes for the screws provided. I'd even recommend putting the screws down into those holes and removing them again prior to removing the clamps or putting the cups in. This will reduce the risk of the screws pushing the ring down and braking it loose once you actually go to install it.
View attachment 83076 View attachment 83077

With this in, the shade was ready to install. The kit includes the following. (Copied from the manufacturer's website.)
View attachment 83078
  1. T-Top Boat Shade made with Resilience@
  2. T-Top Telescoping Poles:
    • We manufacture our own heavy duty anodized aluminum telescoping poles. We use the same piping that the T-Top frames are made of. The telescope poles adjust from 42 in. to 72 in. and mount into standard rod holders. (2 Poles Included with Kit)
  3. Pole Securing Straps:
    • Each kit includes two adjustable 1” wide polyester webbing straps with a loop on one end and a grommet on the other end. Once they’re attached to your boat and poles, they lock the poles and shade into your boat and this allows you to run with the shade kit installed.
  4. Velcro Clean Up Tabs:
    • Included with your kit is a set of 9 - 6” long double sided Velcro strips. These are used after you have installed your Boat Shade kit and the ends of the webbing straps are left hanging. Simply roll the excess webbing strap up and wrap a Velcro strip around it and secure it to webbing connector strap. They can be used for any loose ends.
  5. Shade Kit Carry Bag:
    • Your BSK will be contained quite nicely in the storage provided. It has an over the shoulder strap which makes it easy to carry if you don’t store the shade kit on the boat. It zippers the whole length of the bag making it easy to install or remove the shade kit. The polyester material is lightweight and breathable. The dimension of the bag is 48" x 10" and easily stowes away in the boat.

Installation of the product was very similar to the video, with the exception of my shade only had the 2 corner anchor points on the front as opposed to the multiple being shown in the previous picture of the entire kit.
View attachment 83079
When installing, the shade is first stretched over the top of the bimini and fastened to the tower, just above the top most cross member.
View attachment 83080
The poles are inserted into the rod holders, and fastened with the provided straps down to the eye hook under the swim deck.
View attachment 83081

Here's a few pics of my completed shade:
View attachment 83068
View attachment 83083
View attachment 83082
View attachment 83084
View attachment 83085
View attachment 83086
View attachment 83087

Cost wise, the kit was not inexpensive... nearly $700. The rod holders I settled on were only $40 each.
View attachment 83088
Say what you will about the cost, but I LOVE IT! Besides, once I decide to sell my boat, I can easily keep the shade for use on my next boat if I so desire, and the new owners can enjoy the rod holders as a bonus.

As an added point, despite what was said in the video, there is conflicting info and pictures that both mention and show the shade being used while under way. I've yet to attempt it. The shade has a lot of stretch to it and I'm sure there is the potential for some flapping. I have wondered if a 5' X 5' may allow for some additional tension to minimize the effect, with the 5' X 6' I am maxed out on adjustment. We'll see what happens when I make my attempt.

My version is using mesh from Harbor freight and adjustable boat hooks from West Marine in the 30 degree rod holders in place of the stock cup holders.
20200704_133138.jpg20200704_133152.jpg

Epsmith19

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Other
Honestly we are selling these in distribution for one of our dealers in central Florida who developed it. I had not seen yours till today. Sorry to intrude on your idea. I don't think the gelcoat or fiberglass is being reinforced but we're replacing the cupholder with a combination cupholer/rod holder and using 5200 to secure it. Install video coming soon.

Also it can be used while the boat is underway so it does not need to be taken down when you decide to change locations or go cruising.
Will, do you still sell these? I don't see them on the site

Krats

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length