• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

My Bearing Buddies are not holding grease!

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yeah shorelandr trailer doesn't come with Bearing Buddies, I'm not sure who makes their bearing "protectors" but Shorelandr sells them on their parts list and they are not Bearing Buddies. My experience though is they work just fine if they are filled correctly. At least this is my experience with my shorelandr trailer.
I don't have the boat anymore but I'm fairly sure they were bearing buddies as they had the same design and everything. Either way boat is gone and there wasn't an issue with the hubs other than user error.

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
I don't have the boat anymore but I'm fairly sure they were bearing buddies as they had the same design and everything. Either way boat is gone and there wasn't an issue with the hubs other than user error.
Cool, maybe they used to use Bearing Buddies then.
My current trailer has some other brand that look and work just like the genuine Bearing Buddies but they aren't. There are a few different companies that make these "bearing protectors" that have the same design. Regardless I haven't had any issues with them but if I were to replace them I would use genuine Bearing Buddies instead.

Shorelander Part# 4410247 Bearing Protector

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
May not be exactly bearing buddies but the concept is the exact same. Mine had the same logo as yours so probably not true BB but doesn't matter as they work the same.

Basically don't overfill. ;)

My new trailer/boat uses Vault hybrid hub ends. The VAULT Hybrid Lubrication System

KC-AR240

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Is the 1.98” the standard size for our trailers ?

ScubaMike

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yeah shorelandr trailer doesn't come with Bearing Buddies, I'm not sure who makes their bearing "protectors" but Shorelandr sells them on their parts list and they are not Bearing Buddies. My experience though is they work just fine if they are filled correctly. At least this is my experience with my shorelandr trailer.
Define, if you would, filled correctly.

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Filled correctly happens when there is some wobble to the flat part next to the zirk. As you pump grease into the zirk, you will see a spring around the inner wall of the bearing. The more grease you pump into the buddy will force the it toward you and collapse the spring.

You should be able to touch the flat part near where it touches the spring and get a little wobble. When the thing is empty there like 1/2 inch along the inner wall of the bearing buddy

MGoMike

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I’m prepping for a longer trip this weekend (200 miles) and just bought grease and a grease gun. Looking at videos online I see people jacking up their trailers to grease them. Is that what everyone does or can you just grease with the trailer tires on the ground?

Last edited:

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Shore lander dual axel trailers have a zero up between the wheels you need to grease occasionally. I’ve never been able to get grease into those Sitka with the boat on the trailer. The easiest thing to do is take your grease gun and give them a squirt while the boat is off the trailer.

OakleyAK

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I’m prepping for a longer trip this weekend (200 miles) and just bought grease and a grease gun. Looking at videos online I see people jacking up their trailers to grease them. Is that what everyone does or can you just grease with the trailer tires on the ground?
Ideal scenario is to slowly grease the bearings with the wheel off the ground and rotate the wheel as you're greasing. This is an industry best practice. You can definitely grease while on ground, just be sure you take it easy towing to allow the grease to situate itself, if not the temperature can spike causing damage.