• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

My EZ Loader trailer brakes are trash, options?

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Just about every topic on trailers here I can find is on MFI trailers. I have an EZ Loader trailer that is either a 2008 or 2009. I've treated it well, rinsing every reachable square inch with freshwater after dunking it in the brackish river water I boat in. Despite this, my brakes are rusty trash. Last year one of the calipers locked up and the wheel was dragging so I ripped the caliper off and didn't do anything with it since I only used the boat twice. This year, the same thing happened to the other side which ruined the first outing of the year. I pulled the wheel off and it was rusted to hell, even moreso on this side than the last. The lines are also trashed so those will need to be replaced as well.

So I am weighing my options since trailering without brakes doesn't seem like a good idea, even with a full size pickup truck (F150) as a tow vehicle and only going 7 miles each way. I kicked around electric brakes for simplicity but it seems those aren't any good in saltwater. I've got lots of experience with brakes on cars, but none on trailers. What is the best route to take here? Looks like I'm gonna need a lot of new stuff, judging by the rust.
412BCE98-2432-4AE6-8783-BC50D0B48EA2.jpeg

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
How does the flange behind the wheel look? When I looked at mine I needed a new axle too, since the brake flange was so rusted. (It's the metal piece where the brake caliper bolts onto the trailer)

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
The flange was a bit rusted but not nearly as bad as what is in the picture. The end of the axle is surprisingly rusted too though it might be salvageable.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
A new caliper and hub/disc is not a terrible investment. Since the parts are so heavy I've found local sellers can be very competitive.

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
There is a trailer place right by my house. I’ll check them out, good idea.