• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

My jetski loses all its power after a few minutes and then stops moving.

iautran

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
NA
Hello,

I have a problem with my GTX DI GTX (2001).

I took it out for the first time this year. I just had to change the battery.
It worked fine for the first 10/15 minutes (good acceleration, good speed) then :
1. it went into safety (red light on and "maintenance" message flashing). At that point I could only go about 30 mph.
2. If I keep going at this speed, after a few minutes, it locks up completely (by accelerating, the RPM doesn't move at all and the jetski stops moving).
If I stop the jet, wait a few minutes and restart: it will work again for a few seconds/minutes, then repeat points 1 and 2.

What would you advise me to look into?
It’s seems to be related to overheating, no ?

Thanks a lot!

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hello,

I have a problem with my GTX DI GTX (2001).

I took it out for the first time this year. I just had to change the battery.
It worked fine for the first 10/15 minutes (good acceleration, good speed) then :
1. it went into safety (red light on and "maintenance" message flashing). At that point I could only go about 30 mph.
2. If I keep going at this speed, after a few minutes, it locks up completely (by accelerating, the RPM doesn't move at all and the jetski stops moving).
If I stop the jet, wait a few minutes and restart: it will work again for a few seconds/minutes, then repeat points 1 and 2.

What would you advise me to look into?
It’s seems to be related to overheating, no ?

Thanks a lot!
I had a Seadoo GTX that was a little newer than yours and had the same issue. First thing to do is drain the gas and add new high octane gas. Highest octane you can find. If that doesn't cure the problem it could be the knock sensor if the ski has one.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It should throw a code. Look that code up and it will tell you the issue. I used to take care of a fleet of Sea-Doo pwc's.......practically every outing they would throw codes :) I remember a general maintenance alarm followed by limp mode could be a charging issue. Considering you just changed the battery, make sure its charged but you may still have a voltage problem coming from the stator.

P code list:

Last edited:

iautran

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
NA
Thanks a lot !
I’ve just drained the gas and I will check as soon as the sea allow me to do it ;-)

@Murf'n'surf: agree with you but i guess that I need an official diagnostic key to retrieve the P code, right ?
As there is just 2 seadoo vendors where I am, they are totally overwhelmed and not available to give me that information.

P.S : sorry in advance for my English ;-)

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks a lot !
I’ve just drained the gas and I will check as soon as the sea allow me to do it ;-)

@Murf'n'surf: agree with you but i guess that I need an official diagnostic key to retrieve the P code, right ?
As there is just 2 seadoo vendors where I am, they are totally overwhelmed and not available to give me that information.

P.S : sorry in advance for my English ;-)
Check your user manual, the code is shown on the screen through the menu system. At least they were shown back in 2015.

iautran

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
NA
Unfortunately nothing on my old 2000 ski that is just displaying “maintenance” message.