• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

My lake is FULL !!!!

We have the same problem at our eateries on Lake Conroe. Generally very poor service, etc.

However, when you have a full pool to go to afterward, somehow... that all.... just ... fades..... away....

It's not that difficult to have somewhat decent service and eatable food. You don't even need that fancy of a menu to make some good money. The challenge is making it a year round destination, but it's definitely possible in Lewisville with all the development building up around the lake. That's where you have to focus on the food, people will drive the distance for a good meal more so than ever before. It's not rocket science, but it requires a tremendous amount of dedication and work.

One of the lakes I like to go to is 34' below full pool and will be kept that way for at least a year, The Dam basin started leaking and they are trying to repair it so they are keeping it down as a safety precaution. The dam itself is fine however it is the limestone it was built on that has become very porous... fingers crossed they get it fixed and we get to have it back next year... On the bright side the other lake I love to go to is already at full pool, a month ahead of schedule. Now if it will just warm up so on Memorial Day weekend I can surf and not freeze... the water is a balmy 54* at the moment.

I'm unfortunately chiming in on the debris comments. I had my first 'incident' today sucking up some floating weedy branch type vegetation; ran right over the pile (my bad). After, I had cavitation and very bad performance issues. I had no thrust and just limped her back to trailer it. I barely had enough thrust to put it up on trailer; I had to use winch to get all the way on. When I pulled my blow-out plugs I had shaft wrapped thick weeds around the left shaft, but nothing on the right shaft.
My concern and question: should I pull the pumps off or grates off to inspect further? I'm afraid there is more crap stuck in places I cannot see? Or, would the stuff I sucked up just be in the blow out holes on shafts?

If you removed all the visible trash I would think it will be good to go and water test it. You could pull the impellers if you wanted the experience since they are so easy but removing the grates would be overkill.

If you have something in the pump that you can't get to, you can pull the pump pretty easy and remove the debris. But I wouldn't remove it unless I had to. Meaning, that if you clear the intake and impeller, go test it, if it isn't clear and still cavatating, then you need to look further. Most of us, me...will pull the clean outs and try to clear it on the water. I won't swim under. But if I run over grass/weeds, I will generally try the "reverse move" first, and then pull the clean outs second. If that doesn't result in normal performance, I would trailer it.

The reverse move is...
Put the boat in reverse and get it going backward as good as you can speed wise, 5 mph or so.
At the same time!!! pull the kill switch lanyard, and move the throttles to forward max thrust.

This will do two things. It stops the rotation of the engine (impeller), and it opens the reverse gates to allow the rearward movement of the boat to force water backward into the pumps and force whatever is in the intake or on the grates off and clear. Sometimes it takes two or three attempts at this to get the intakes clear of grasses or weeds. Now...you can't clear solid debris this way, so twigs or manmade debris will have to be removed by hand. Ropes wound around the shaft must be removed before any operation.

I hate to be that guy complaining about rain, especially with all the West coast guys begging for drops right now...but man, I'm tired of all this rain in Oklahoma! Just broke the record for wettest May in state history, and expecting more! All the talk about our drought is over...now all the news is all the flooding. It's crazy to think how low the lakes were around here just last year.

Check out this video of Lake Eufuala...

It's been raining a lot here (in Utah) as well. But it's not helping us. Since the ground is so dry, the rain is getting absorbed so quickly that it doesn't make it to the reservoirs. We depend on snowpack for that... it's helping agriculture, though it's messing with how much I'm able to get done in between rain events to get the boat ready for the 2 week vacation I'm about to take.

Lake Lewisville is only 5 ft over normal (after a high of about 12 ft) and they have FINALLY opened my boat ramp at Point Vista last weekend.

The courtesy pier walkway is still under 6 inches of water but I'll take that any day.

Back