• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

My Lucky Unlucky Day -- Incorrect Flushing / Overheated Engine

Wesley Cobb

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Alright...I knew it was going to happen one day despite my close attention and dilligence...I put water to a non-running engine while running the other without water. I read through the forum and saw it happens to the best of us. I promise to do better.

I got in a hurry and did something out of my normal sequence. I decided to spray down the outside of the boat while also flushing the engines. Yep...inattention...in a hurry. Hooked up the water hose to the starboard engine flush port then, without looking at the start buttons, accidently started the port engine. My daughter turned on the water once the engine was up and stable and I exited the boat to help clean the hull. I realized my HUGE error when the port engine overheat alarm went off. I immediately shut off the water and turned off the starboard (running) engine. I let it cool for a while then moved the flush hose to the port (hot) engine. I started the port engine and and turned on the water. The alarm continued until I silenced it. I ran it for a at least 10 minutes...no issues. I then held my breath, checked the oil on the starboard engine. To my relief, oil looked good. I transferred the flush hose to the starboard engine, held a deeper breath, and pushed the start button. To my relief, again, the starboard motor started and ran normally for 10 minutes. (I normally do not flush that long but, I was felt I abused my boat and I wanted to try and make it up to her.) I am thinking at this point I have dodged a HUGE and expensive bullet. Since that point, I have not run the motors again.

I researched through the forum for words of advice and encouragement. From what I have seen so far, I think I am ok. I do, however, still have an alarm and code issue. I went out to the marina this morning and put power to her but did not start the engines. I did recheck the oil in the starboard (watered) engine...still clean and clear. The alarm still went off as soon as I turned on the batteries and the key. I still had the port (overheated) engine warning light and "Check Port Engine" annunciator on the Connext screen. From my research of various somewhat related threads: when I go back out there, I think I can access the codes through a press-and-hold of the System button on the Connext. (I tried this but I guess I did not hold the button long enough because nothing came up.) I also think I can complete 3 normal start/shutdown cycles on the engines to clear the alarm. Is that true? Is there anything else I need to check or verify before I start the engines again or take her out again? I have looked at and thought about this situation for many days now...it even kept me up the first night worrying about whether I killed an engine!

I greatly appreciate all the advice and help I have gotten through this forum during my first year of jetboat ownership.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm not well versed in your engine type as I have an older boat, but the cooling system and alarm system bear some resemblance, so I can confidently state a couple of things.

#1 boat started and ran fine after, so you are OFF THE HOOK as it relates to water ingestion and hydro lock. The engine is FINE in this regard.

#2 regarding the overheat, because you shut down right away on the alarm you can expect NO CONSEQUENCE to the engine. That's the whole point of the alarm...to prevent damage.

Not sure how to clear the screen/alarm message, I'm sure someone else will help with that, but the best way to ensure full return on your boating investment is to go use the boat as much as you can. There is no reason to prevent or delay any trips at this time. On the contrary with winter near by, it's clutch time to add hours.

Best of Luck and Enjoy the boat!!!

treeskier

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SE
Boat Length
I may be one of the ones your read about that did the same thing (on a 2 stroke boat). Mine involved Grapefruit Vodka crushes ...no I wasn't boating hammered I was merely washing the boat on the lift hammered...all of the drinking occurred safely on the pier. I worried as well (and quickly sobered up) but suffered no long term damage (to the boat). However I am now a firm believer in keeping the length of flushing time to a minimum necessary to rinse things out. I do not feel that the cooling circulation is the same on the hose as on the the water and I prefer to minimize the engines heating up during the process. My procedure is to let the engines cool after boating cool before flushing the flush each engine for 3-5 min tops...maybe just superstition but it makes me fee better about it.

Wesley Cobb

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@treeskier Agreed! I usually let the boat sit on the rack for a good 20-30 minutes before I flush the engines. I normally only flush for 5 minutes. This time I was in a hurry to get the post-boating procedures completed so we could get on with our evening. Unfortunately, I almost rushed to failure.

ptwb

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm confused. Just to be clear, so on the engine (starboard) that you had originally hooked the hose up to, but not started but then did have the water on for some time, and then AFTER you discovered your mistake, and switched the hose back to it from the port engine, all you did was check the oil before trying to start it?

I was under the impression that if one ever ran a hose on an engine that is off for an extended amount of time (or towed without a shuftoff valve), the 1st thing to do is pull the plugs before trying to start to avoid hydrolock.

Wesley Cobb

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Starboard engine w/water on it but not running and the port engine w/out water and running. Shutoff water and let both engines sit while I collected my thoughts. Let the port/overheated engine cool. Put water on port/overheated engine and ran engine correctly — engine on/water on then water off/engine off. THEN checked oil on starboard engine. At the time, I did not know to do any other checks. Had never researched what to do because I thought I’d never make the mistake. I had an ironclad, religiously followed process — so I thought!! Seeing nothing in the oil, I started the starboard engine and put water on it. I NOW know that was VERY risky and dumb. It started and ran just fine. I have not started either engine since and, as of this morning, starboard engine oil looks exactly like the port engine oil.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
For whatever its worth, most hydro lock with damage that I have heard of occurs when the water is ingested while the engine is running. I have attempted to start a flooded 2 stroke engine and seen it spin only 1/4 turn, to realize it was full of water. It still ran fine after clean up.

For posterity, If you think engine is full of water, best to empty it first by removing all spark plugs and cranking until it comes out dry, then get it started, then if it runs, run it like you stole it to evaporate all humidity. preferably in the water, preferably for a long time so everything gets warm and lubricated.

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Your not the Lone Ranger on this. I did exactly the same thing, and had the same overheat alarm and issue even after properly flushing. I let the boat sit overnight, next day all was well and alarm and overheat warning were gone. I, like you, knew I didnt run long enough to hurt anything, and have been out several times since and it all works perfectly.

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I did not have the correct procedure for flushing out the motor for the first two weeks I had the boat until the dealer saw me doing it and corrected it. I always turned on the water and then turned on the boat I did not have any problems. Most of the time I was flushing on the ramp sometimes I let that hose run from five minutes without the motor running but I’m thinking because the back of the boat was lower the water just ran out. I’m not saying you’re not gonna mess up your boat motor but if the rear of the boat is lower than the front it’s probably OK.