• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

My new boat 2.0

A 2021 Yamaha GP 1800 R with a naturally aspirated 1,812 cc motor, like my other Yamaha boats.

I just picked it up from my local power sports shop (not Costco) on Friday (April 2nd) for just a few dollars short of $18k.

I broke it in yesterday, April 3rd. After the 1 hour and 35 minute process (5 mins under 2k rpms, 30 mins under 5k and 60 minutes under 6k), i got it to 66 mph according to its speedo with nearly a full
tank of 91 octane gas (interestingly my wife was keeping up on her 2021 FX but said her speedo read 59 mph, I’m sticking with 66 mph to help me reconcile the purchase price).

Top speed aside, this by far is the best PWC I’ve ever ridden and I’ve been riding them for over 35 years now. With the auto trim (aka launch and turning control), acceleration and high speed turns are excellent.With cruise control and no wake modes gone are the days of jet-skiers claw. Docking and slow speed maneuvers have never been easier with the reverse and brake functions

View attachment 145995
View attachment 145993

View attachment 145994
View attachment 145997
View attachment 145998

since my wife has a new Waverunner as well, and she loves it, it’s clearly going to be primarily a pwc season, our 242 can take a well earned break.

on a related note, the factory sound system was $880 including tax, and consists of 2 enclosed 4.5” speakers, a remote and an amp or 2. I was totally against it, at first, but after using it, I love it. At full blast and traveling against the wind I could not hear it so I think it needs more/should have come with a more powerful amp(s).

my only regret is not buying it and my wife’s Waverunner sooner (just couldn’t afford/justify it).

Kudos to my wife for sticking it out with me all day (11a to 8p door to door, including 3 hours of non stop riding in cold and cloudy conditions).View attachment 146006
Great to hear that you’re liking it so much and comparisons to skis of past. I’m really enjoying my new to me 2018 VX Cruiser HO and can’t wait to get it out this year when it warms up some more.

The f does anyone need a depth finder for on a PWC?! ? ? ?

"I wonder what the depth is here?"
* looks down
"Got it."
I’ve been many places where you cannot see the bottom on my skis. I installed a depth finder on my old SeaDoo and it was great piece of mind. I’ve been in rivers that seemed many feet deep and in 5’ of distance it goes to 8” of water that still looks as deep as any other part. I wish my VX Cruiser HO had a depth finder and I may add one and some sort of small chart plotter some day.

Here are pics of the fish/depth finder that Yamaha sells with their top of the line FX Limited (super charged) and the one they offer to other (non limited) FX customers.
385E1F32-B54A-4F87-A173-86DC3D618690.png
22D7AB5F-1FA9-4391-86F5-4DE455B47A79.png

Back