• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

My Portage Indiana "boater's beach"

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Now, this place is pretty well known on the south end of the lake, so it's not like it's my idea or anything.
On the south end of the Lake, next to a big steel mill is a section of sand that is just wonderful. Only accessable by boat as well, which is perfect. This is also next to an area called Dune Acres. Basically just East of this is Indiana State Park and Indiana Dunes Lakeshore. This just an awesome place to swim because the mill takes in a ton of water, uses it to cool down the steel (never actually touches it, don't worry, no glowing green kids or slimey anything) and then they dump it back into the lake. This is supposed to be about 10 degrees warmer than the lake only and is regulated by something somewhere... supposedly...
Anyways, a bit of the trip by pictures!!!
WarmWater.jpg
The red line is from where we put in at Portage Marina, to where we go swimming!
Note that we actually go PAST the warm water discharge as is normally runs east along the coast meaning the water along the coast there is warmer as well. This past Sunday it was 72 degrees in the lake, but about 80 along the coast!

DSCF2124.JPG
This is the place!!!

DSCF2126.JPG
Nice Large gravel parking lot for lots and lots of boats that will be appearing!!!
DSCF2128.JPG
The marina - go out past that red boat and turn right!

DSCF2132.JPG
Pretty long no wake zone. This is where people will be fishing off the sides. This is where I decided I wanted to switch to a 4 stroke as well. The smoke... WOW the smoke!!

DSCF2151.JPG
And last but not least, the lazy river! It's pretty long, so grab a tube or life jacket and just let the current carry you down in nice warm water!

This area gets really busy on a holiday weekend, so get there early! Great setup for a jet boat as well since we can get so nice and close.
I will remind you though, that this is a big body of water and we watched the tide to in and out during a day. I wouldn't recommend beaching it with Lake Michigan waves and a bit of a tide or you may actually end up on dry ground. Also, bring at least two good anchors because EVERYONE will harass you for it if you're the one whipping around like a nut.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Oh, didn't have time to put the tower on yet with these pictures!DSCF2140.JPG DSCF2149.JPG DSCF2150.JPG DSCF2152.JPG