• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

My seats are turning pink

I use damp rid moisture hangers..they cheap. My boat has full cover and sits on a boat lift in a covered slip...ive packed it away with wet carpet and wet anchor area..i use 2 hangers and open up most hatches. This may help in your current storage environment and still allow you to keep it covered? Just a thought. But in my case they are key to keeping mold and mildew out of my boating experience.

I bought this boat in August, it had only been used twice with only 17 hours on it then put in a climate controlled building. We used it through September with no issues, the seats looked new. I just noticed that the bow cushions are starting to turn pink, like something is bleeding through. I remember something about this on the 230 model boats but haven't heard of it on the 240's, also can't figure out why it is just now starting.
can you listen about Commercial Pink Away Treatment System. which helps you to remove stains from your boat seats. for more information please visit to https://gestaltscientific.com

I bought this boat in August, it had only been used twice with only 17 hours on it then put in a climate controlled building. We used it through September with no issues, the seats looked new. I just noticed that the bow cushions are starting to turn pink, like something is bleeding through. I remember something about this on the 230 model boats but haven't heard of it on the 240's, also can't figure out why it is just now starting.
As you mention your seats becomes pink It is caused by the natural metabolic by-product of a specific strain of bacteria that flourishes in marine environments. Gestalt pink away is the best permanent solutions to remove the pink stain from your boat seats.

Yea it's a bacteria. The Centurion I looked at a month or so ago had it all over the back seats and rear lockers. I asked the salesman about it and he told me all about the pinking bacteria problem on boats. I had no idea but it was good to learn about it.

Here's a Boating Mag article about it and they use @gestaltscientific product to clean it https://www.boatingmag.com/pink-stains-on-boat-seats-fix

Maybe try getting more air into that space. My center floor locker from the ballast bag is continually wet (that's another story) so when I leave the boat covered in the slip, either leave that cabinet fully open, or put a noodle in the space to keep the door open. In addition to cleaning, maybe try propping those cushions open with a noodle and store your boat out in the sun (even with the towing cover on) to heat it up some more.

I know this thread is pretty old but I was intrigued by the boating magazine article. I'm a dorky microbiologist and they actually used a bacterial name (although they should have italicized it) in the article. A quick search of this bacteria and you quickly see this has been a problem since plastic (PVC) was invented. The red color you refer to is prodigisoin and like other "pigments" made by bacteria they are being widely explored for various medical/industrial uses and many of these bacterial made pigments like riboflavin and beta-carotene you eat or drink every day. Now that's all well and good but it would still suck if your boat seats are turning pink. But like most bacteria you either have to starve them for food, dehydrate them or kill them. So like others said keep boat dry, wash seats after each outing (so they don't feed off your dead skin, body oils and suncreen) and you can kill them with Head & Shoulders shampoo (or any other product) that has zinc pyrithione in it. The Extra Strenth has 2% zinc pyrithione in it, the more the better. If people ask if you've gone crazy just tell them your boat has a bad case of dandruff.
https://specialtyfabricsreview.com/2016/10/20/beating-the-pink-stain-problem-in-marine-fabrics/
https://www.proboat.com/2017/11/mystery-solved-case-pink-stain-vinyl/

If you are bored and want to see how this prodigisoin pigment has shaped our history you simply need to google "serratia history". The bacteria Serratia marcescens is commonly found in the environment and will grow on starchy foods in hot humid environments. You can imagine in the middle ages hand washing was not prevalent and so a lot of food was contaminated with this bacteria. It grows rapidly and takes on the appearance of dripping blood after a few days. You can imagine how people in the middle ages would have assumed this bloody bread was an act of god (or the devil) and thus shaping our history as we know it. The US military has also had a few "Oops, my bad" experiences with Serratia back when they thought it was just a harmless red bacteria, again all caused by this same pigment that stains your seats pink. So next time your seats are pink just be glad you aren't being hung in the town square for practicing witchcraft.

Back