• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

My Trip Down the VHF Antenna Rabbit Hole

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Just for comparison, I had bought a 6159B on eBay because it was pictured as Mainah's (and the seller swore it was the new model), well it wasn't. Here's a side by side:

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I'm thinking about installing it on the next crossbar down (below, but starboard side). I'll lose about 12" of antenna height or so, but I'm pretty sure I lack the talent to cut/polish the bracket as well as Mainah did, and should be a bit easier to fish. Does anyone know if that crossbar is solid, too? I don't want to start drilling a hole to tap it and find out it's hollow - that would be no bueno.

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I drilled and tapped the holes for the mount into the top aluminum cross piece of the tower (1/4” 20 TPI ¾” deep threads in 1” solid aluminum)
I installed my antenna mount on my 2017 AR240 in the same place as you only my cross piece is not solid, it is hollow. Maybe something to note for owners of similiar boats to check before they drill. 20180331_172536.jpg

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Interesting that yours would be hollow. Didn’t think that there was much of a difference between towers besides the securing mechanism.

Following up from my prior post, the second crossbar down on the limited S is solid. Soft aluminum, really easy to drill/tap.

BBottoms

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I thought the AR tower crossbars might be hollow based on the tried and true 'tap on it and see what it sounds like' method. Is the material thick enough to tap and hold a screw reliably? I'll be doing mine soon in the same location, hopefully.

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I thought the AR tower crossbars might be hollow based on the tried and true 'tap on it and see what it sounds like' method. Is the material thick enough to tap and hold a screw reliably? I'll be doing mine soon in the same location, hopefully.
Yeah, the walls are about 1/8 inch or so. I used 1/4-20 screws installed with an impact wrench and they didnt strip out. I used a 7/32" drill bit to make the holes. They sounded hollow when I tapped on them, but I was hoping my ears were wrong and my experience would be similiar to @Mainah's. Thats why I thought I would post about mine being hollow.

BBottoms

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Juat a heads up for anyone looking to do this mod on an AR240, the Pacific Aerials mount appears to be just a little too big to fit on the AR240 towers. Even if you trimmed the corner like @Mainah the long edges would hang over the flat of the crossbar and the screws may not go into a flat surface. Apparently the crossbars are not only hollow, but a little smaller on the AR boats compared with the Limiteds. With that said Shakespeare makes a similar quick connect mount, the QCM-S, that has a smaller base plate that appears it will fit with no trimming. I believe this is the mount that @Sbrown is using in his picture above. Only downside to the Shakespeare mount is it's not as sleek looking (lever vs knob for ratchet mechanism) and the antenna options are more limited (white only and no 6' option).

I found dimensions of the mounts online and printed out to-scale templates. Pictures are taken on the upper crossbar:

Here's the Pacific Aerials P6759
20180524_223553.jpg

Here's the Shakespeare QCM-S
20180524_223623.jpg

Bryan Martini

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Juat a heads up for anyone looking to do this mod on an AR240, the Pacific Aerials mount appears to be just a little too big to fit on the AR240 towers. Even if you trimmed the corner like @Mainah the long edges would hang over the flat of the crossbar and the screws may not go into a flat surface. Apparently the crossbars are not only hollow, but a little smaller on the AR boats compared with the Limiteds. With that said Shakespeare makes a similar quick connect mount, the QCM-S, that has a smaller base plate that appears it will fit with no trimming. I believe this is the mount that @Sbrown is using in his picture above. Only downside to the Shakespeare mount is it's not as sleek looking (lever vs knob for ratchet mechanism) and the antenna options are more limited (white only and no 6' option).

I found dimensions of the mounts online and printed out to-scale templates. Pictures are taken on the upper crossbar:

View attachment 75074

View attachment 75077
I was able to use the pacific aerials mount on my AR. You have to be extremely careful about your placement but the screw will bite in before the cross bar rounds over. I measured 10x before I tapped my 1st hole.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
@Mainah @seanmclean What size hole did you drill in the tower for the cable? Did you cut the cable connector off to fit thru a smaller hole? What size grommet did you use? Getting ready to do this install and this is the last piece to the puzzle. Thanks!

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Mainah @seanmclean What size hole did you drill in the tower for the cable? Did you cut the cable connector off to fit thru a smaller hole? What size grommet did you use? Getting ready to do this install and this is the last piece to the puzzle. Thanks!
Sorry, I don't recall the details off the top of my head. The beauty of the Pacific Aerials cable is that you can take the big fat end off of it when you run the cable, and then reconnect at the radio. The hole size is only slightly larger than the diameter of the cable. I don't recall the grommet, I just bought a few that looked like they'd be about the right size and picked the one that was the closest. Only a few cents each at most hardware stores anyway, but you could always bring the cable with you.

You can see in the pic below that the large connector is removable, so you only need to fish the smaller connector through the tower. It's not much larger than the coax, and I would not attempt to cut and reconnect.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Sorry, I don't recall the details off the top of my head. The beauty of the Pacific Aerials cable is that you can take the big fat end off of it when you run the cable, and then reconnect at the radio. The hole size is only slightly larger than the diameter of the cable. I don't recall the grommet, I just bought a few that looked like they'd be about the right size and picked the one that was the closest. Only a few cents each at most hardware stores anyway, but you could always bring the cable with you.

You can see in the pic below that the large connector is removable, so you only need to fish the smaller connector through the tower. It's not much larger than the coax, and I would not attempt to cut and reconnect.

Thank you! I was not aware the screw on connector came off. I need to check that out.

rkim808

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

View attachment 75074

View attachment 75077
Is this on all AR240’s, I have a 2015. So is the tower the same size?

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Is this on all AR240’s, I have a 2015. So is the tower the same size?
Yes, all 2015+ AR240s have the same tower.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
My $0.02: If the area you're mounting to is too small, you could put a sub-plate behind the mount and the frame. I'm contemplating that right now.