• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

My VHF antenna install

kthrash

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have been racking my brain to come up with some solution to mount my VHF antenna. Well here it is, I used a bullet lines speaker clamp in 2 3/8" for my 212x tower and took apart a 1" rail mount VHF mount. Drilled out the hole on the VHF mount to use the bolt with the speaker clamp and voila! Instant antenna mount that I can put anywhere along the tower.

I need to buy a shorth headed bolt so it does not cut into the wire but I think it's perfect. I'll get it mounted in the next couple of weekends!

The antenna easily screws off for travel or when not in use.
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

kthrash

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I actually have two of those flag mounts and it's kinda where I got the idea. Bullet lines sells the speaker mount and a much thinner Bimini mount that looks like the Aerial flag mount without the flag holder. I chose the speaker mount because I wanted the larger mounting surface.

PolarXJ

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Cool idea. I have been looking at ways to mount an antenna on my new boat and like this method.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Edit to show full size photos because this idea rocks!! Well done sir!

kthrash

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
finished product..

smthng

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Yeah, that's what I want. I assume you just turn off the radio and remove the antenna when using towables.

kthrash

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Where I put it, it's not in the way of anything, clears my local bridge, and does not interfere with the Bimini.

smthng

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I was more concerned about a skier slinging around in front of the boat and the rope snagging the antenna. I have friends that are stoked about me being able to spin a 180 now that I have a boat with a tower. I suspect there will be many videos of launched skiers before the technique is perfected. :)

kthrash

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well in that case yes, the antenna easily unscrews.

sysinu

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I did something similar, I wanted to be able to drive down the highway with it. I think yours will be able to make it down the highway as well (since your antenna is more thin than mine). Your mount is awesome, I wish I had seen this before I tried mine. I had to drill press out custom holes on my mount because I used a roswell clamp (If I were to do it again, I would have used a different clamp altogether), but mine has a similar end product.

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@kthrash found this thread trackin down the same thing you made. What antenna did you use? Antenna mount? I bought the 2 3:8 clamp last week. Workin thru details now.

kthrash

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@kthrash found this thread trackin down the same thing you made. What antenna did you use? Antenna mount? I bought the 2 3:8 clamp last week. Workin thru details now.
I used a Pacifica Aerials Rail Mount that I took apart and bolted to the Speaker mount

http://www.amazon.com/Pacific-Aerials-SeaMaster-Nylon-Mount/dp/B0096DNKV8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1430143009&sr=8-2&keywords=pacific+aerials+rail+mount

and then got a Pacific Aerials VHF antenna..

http://www.amazon.com/Pacific-Aerials-Seamaster-Pro-Antenna/dp/B009OBCQ5I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1430143063&sr=8-1&keywords=pacific+aerials+vhf+antenna

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
This is a huge help @kthrash and exactly the clean config i'm after. You happy with the 3 ft 6db range/signal?

kthrash

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It works great in my driveway lol. It will get its real test on the way to Bimini.

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It works great in my driveway lol. It will get its real test on the way to Bimini.
It is good to know that there will be some boats with long-range vhf for the Bimini crossing.

ArmyChief

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@MrMoose ,

My mount using bulletlines speaker tower mount and Shakespeare antenna mount.

image.jpg

SGMPhil

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Great ideas - thanks!

SGMPhil

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've got parts (and a new radio) on order now - we'll see how this turns out Chief.