• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

mystery starting problem v 2.0!!!

andyak

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you followed my last thread - Starboard engine was completely rebuilt.

Reused parts on engine:

stator
sensors
gear output

I had her out this week and after about 4 hours on the lake we were about to start some water sports when the same starboard engine shut off and would not restart. cranked fine -no fireup

after getting her back on trailer using one engine (I clamped the line to water in when coming in on only port engine, but too late - I got some water up into the starboard engine)

- the starter was fried - luckily I had a spare.
- pulled plugs and cranked out as much water as I could
- compression between 180 and 210 with some moisture still around some cylinders ... so at least lower end is still fine!
- put in new plugs, and replaced fuel pump

Current problem: No Spark whatsoever, after running for half a day

-the only recent mod was install of dragonfly gps/fishfinder - I did drill some holes for bracket up by windshield on right of the dash - hopefully no wires are routed tight up to along the top.

My current options I am considering:

Swap ECMs to rule that out
Lift engine up and swap out Stator with a spare - and take off oil pan to dump all oil if any water got in.

Does anyone have any other ideas on lack of any spark after half a day running fine?

I really did not want another project like this mid summer :(

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Possibly the lanyard switch? It consists of one plunger that activates two separate switches (one for each ignition). You can simply swap plugs on the switch to see if the problem switches to the other engine.

Also check the clean out switches. Each clean out switch has two circuits in it. One circuit cuts out the starter, other circuit cuts out the ignition. Again, you can swap plugs at the switches to eliminate the switch. Also, inspect the wiring that feeds the clean out switches. They've been known to drop down and make contact with the exhaust boxes. This can cause them to melt and not work at all.

Those are the first things I would check. Hope you figure it out soon. Good luck, keep us updated.

andyak

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I checked lanyard and all connections there - it is an open will run switch - when the each pair per engine are connected together (lanyard pulled off) then they cut spark. - so Easy check is to pull the wire leads off - done and not the problem.

I checked the cleanout switches for prevention of cranking - and they do that fine - are you saying the the switch can be pressed closed and allow cranking but still somehow prevent spark? I was in the cleanout area when running my dragonfly wiring...

UPDATE : My YDS will NOT connect to this (starboard) engine ! tried over and over. no go. It will connect fine to the port engine! ??????????

PaulyB

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Did you swap ECMs yet? I would think that would stop it from sending spark....

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
sorry to hear you have more problems, did you YDS work on the starboard engine after you rebuilt it ? If it did I think the easiest trouble shooting would be to swap ECU's

PaulyB

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Bad crank or cam shaft sensor maybe?

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Please help me understand how water got into the starboard engine. This is an uncommon occurrence.
Was there water in the engine bay?

andyak

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Water got in when I drove boat on port engine only to get across lake - remembered to clamp hose after a few minutes :(

Draining all oil out of loosened pan overnight.

I have bypassed both clean out switches to eliminate them as spark problems

So I am still going to do

Ecm swap
Stator replace

In that order

Not sure if either sensor bad would result in absolutely no spark.
Keep the suggestions coming- I am all for finding an easy solution :)

PaulyB

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
A bad cam or crank shaft sensor would absolutely keep spark from happenekng. The cam or crank shaft sensor tells the ECM when to fire a cylinder. If it is bad it won't send an output to the ECM.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I am thinking it will be the stator. But I would think there could be some testing you could do prior to going through the work of removing it.
I really admire your ability and willingness to work on your boat engines. Please take pictures when you can for the rest of us.

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Isn't the stator just for charging the battery? If there is proper voltage won't it use battery power for everything until it's dead?

andyak

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Mystery solved it was the ECM.

Starboard engine started right up and I was able to blow a bunch of water from the exhaust system

Unfortunately is one of the most expensive parts in the boat

I had a spare ECM from a 2002 JetSki but it does not have the means to control the extra air valve in the newer fuel injection manifolds

So now I need to know a cross reference between the computer that supplied with the boat and the Jetskis of which there are many more used units so I have an alternative to a new computer

Computer id

6B5-10
F8T94872 4927

Attachments

Dough

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Wow. Your impressive! If I were you, I'd sell all of it and find a new hobby! Kidding of course.

andyak

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Pics in previous post show lockwrench needed on each nut in hull under clef out tray. Then you need to go into engine compartment and loosen corresponding bolt. 8x for both ecm boxes opening and closing hatch each time. Lots of fun.

andyak

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Complete part number

6B5-8591A-10-00

I need to know if newer part numbers will still work with my 2005 ar230. And any fx140 ski years that have air pump in throttle body.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Is this the non HO engine?

andyak

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes. This is standard 140hp. FX series engine.

I read elsewhere that someone used the ecu from a 2008 fx cruiser in his 2005 ar. Only has a flash on dash due to missing tilt switch found on the ski. He said had run perfect for 2 seasons so far.

I am curious if some of the newer boat ecu 2007,8,9 would work as there are a couple on eBay.

Then again, if the mosfets and other electronics get fatigued over the years then a new unit might be best.