• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Name brand or no name amp?

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've been spending way too much on the boat lately. I have a cheap jvc $70 deck i just bought with a jl jx360x2 amp to power the tower speakers that came with the boat. 3 preamp, parametric eq, cutoffs, etc. I bought a jl 10" ib from someone on here a while back and I'm trying to mount that next week. I don't have an amp for that, and i don't have an amp for the 4 stock boat speakers. They say 100w rms max on them, and they look decent (not paper cone crap), but they are not great.
$150 budget.
Should i buy a jl amp for the sub, and leave the other 4 off the deck, or buy a no name amp and power everything?
I'm considering this.
80w rms x 4 @ 4ohm 480w peak
300w rms x 1 @ 4ohm 1200w peak

Rockville dB55 4000 Watt
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071SGK6FL/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_dYKXAbZTB6HBK

My experience is that cheap amps have more buzz at high volume with no sound, but sound similar at moderate volume. I know a jl 5 channel amp would be better, but that's $500+ (i have one in my motorhome and it kicks ass)
Thoughts?

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Can you get something local that if you don't like after 20 days you could return?

The buzz may be a painful eternal reminder you went cheap on the amp. If you get lucky and the amp is fine and good, you can keep it. Otherwise you don't have to live with it.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Class D is the most important part. Not super cheap the second. True marine is a plus as I have many proven doubts about Polk marine ratings on their speakers and head unit remotes. I think Jensen and Polk are both owned and produced by ASA electronics so I would shy away from anything from them. Unfortunately I learned this after I doubled down on Polk MM speakers for the whole boat.

JL and most wetsounds are the only ones I can truly recommend but perhaps you may find luck with Kicker.

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks guys.
@Beachbummer that amp is 30 days with Amazon and 90 days no question with the vendor.
@Mainah why is class d important other than slightly less power consumption? I'm also a big jl guy. Jl amp and sub in the Jeep. Amp and xr series in the mustang. Jl vr series speakers and jl 5ch amp in the rv (bazooka sub for fitment reasons). Kenwood amp and jl xr 6x9s in the vic. None are class d and all sound great.

@GTBRMC no. I'll never but refurbished anything. Been burned too many times.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I went cheap with a Rockville Marine amp for my in-boat speakers. Spent a little more on the tower amp, but its a Rockford Fosgate car model.

Note that while I look music that sounds good, I'm not what anyone here would describe as an audiophile. That being said, the sound is clean and the ratings matched my speakers perfectly. I ran all new speaker wire, so if down the line I decide I need a better amp, it's an easy job to update. No buzz or feedback in my setup. Gets loud and sounds good to me.

Hector

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I would buy a good quality amp for the sub and as budget allows buy a second quality amp for your in boat speakers.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks guys.
@Beachbummer that amp is 30 days with Amazon and 90 days no question with the vendor.
@Mainah why is class d important other than slightly less power consumption? I'm also a big jl guy. Jl amp and sub in the Jeep. Amp and xr series in the mustang. Jl vr series speakers and jl 5ch amp in the rv (bazooka sub for fitment reasons). Kenwood amp and jl xr 6x9s in the vic. None are class d and all sound great.

@GTBRMC no. I'll never but refurbished anything. Been burned too many times.
Power consumption is the main reason. Lets say the difference is 15% less from whatever the competing choice is. As the minutes and hours rack up that becomes a lot of juice. The other issues are possibly needing bigger wire and heat. Class D however will typically not be the best sounding.

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Power consumption means very little to me. I have a Bluetooth i use on the beach and an extra battery in the boat. It will be rare to play more than s couple hours with the engines off.

I think I'm gonna try the cheap amp. I read a bunch of reviews and watched some YouTube with amp dynos. Seems to perform decent. I'll let you guys know how it works out. (It's class d)

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Dang just watched some dyno test on the rockville amps........ not too bad!

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Dang just watched some dyno test on the rockville amps........ not too bad!
it sounds quite clean to me, as well. Maybe after an hour or two they start overheating, or drain my battery or something. But seemed to be good and cheap.

Surferd15

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Speedster
Boat Length
I got a rockville marine rxms6 for sale new in box. Pm me if interested.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
As a follow-up to a prior post, got the chance to run my Rockville amp on the water for the first time. Sounded great, listened on battery power (2 Amps) for close to 4 hours and no excessive battery utilization, connext indicated down to 12.3V. Very pleased with them, especially considering the price.

4wheeldeal

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I've got a Rockville running a sundown audio sub and it hit harder than my JBL amp same sub. They give honest very detail information on power handling amps etc. I was unsure at first but I've been very impressed with their quality so far.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
For $99... can't really beat it.

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Right. The jl xd300 had 50 less watts for $300. We'll see how it goes. I have 3 other jl amps in other vehicles and one in the boat. never had an issue. This amp will have a brutal life in 120+ heat! Fingers crossed.