• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Naples to Key West Trip...???

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
It was k9medic that did that trip and had big issues with weather and surface conditions. It is very unpredictable that side as I understand, but it is way outside of my area of knowledge. As I recall, it is a much greater distance than 40 miles from the last point of gas to Key West.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Google says 25 hours from here so probably 24 for you. Sounds like a lot of fuel.
Thats why i won't be pulling a camper and then a boat as well

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
And @OperationROL , you don't wanna scuff that new gelcoat now do ya?

We have a few things going on this winter but if this trip gets going whatever the actual details are, we would certainly try to do it! We actually talk about visiting the panhandle as well.
If it doesn't fit in to people's schedules, we may do something ourselves.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
It was k9medic that did that trip and had big issues with weather and surface conditions. It is very unpredictable that side as I understand, but it is way outside of my area of knowledge. As I recall, it is a much greater distance than 40 miles from the last point of gas to Key West.
I did a quick search but didn't find a thread about it. Got it saved somewhere or point me to the right direction?
I don't know the whole layout, but 40 miles from Key West to gas is a good ways! If that is the case, perhaps we need to plan routes with gas at marina's in mind, and/or bring a lot of 5 gallon cans!
I know I've brought extra fuel from time to time, but really never NEEDED to use it. Closest I have gotten is the Peoria to starved rock run, and that's got some full throttle fun in there. I had put in 5 gallons extra and had about a quarter tank left according to stock gauge. I think that run is 78 miles according to the thread. Add in a little bit of docking etc. and really you could run 80 miles no problem on one tank. Fumes perhaps, but you could do it. I do believe OperationROL had that one year coming back. He likes to speed a bit and seems to go to the front and back of the pack a few times checking on everyone, so I'm sure our boats can do more. But open seas are nothing to mess around with.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Like I said, I'm no open water expert! But I read the Bimini threads and I remember k9's thread. It was conditions that multiplied the fuel use and decreased the speed capability. That happens more in open water than in a river or lake. I was just trying to help identify the thread. I can't get on that forum.

k9medic

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Not to bring a thread back from the dead but here is comes -

We did the trip down the west coast a few years ago and ran into what was soon to become TS Debbie. From Marco Island to Key West was just shy of 95nm and it took us 4 hours in what turned out to be 5-8' waves.

This trip drove me to buy a second boat that could handle such weather conditions. I now have a 45' Aft Cabin motor yacht for the days when it's nasty.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I'm glad you found this thread @k9medic , and I apologize for not tagging you in it. We would love to hear about the foul weather boat as well as more about the crossing in the Yamaha!

ArmyChief

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I know its an old thread...but I'd be willing to do this trip. I have researched it. I can get a three bedroom condo on the Naval base for $115 a night. so, two other couples could stay with us for about $40 a night

smthng

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Interested, but unless we can get Bahia Honda, the wife and I would probably grab a hotel instead of camping.

smthng

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I saw... we'd get a hotel and just meet up with everyone. Wife goes to bed early and I'm a jerk in the morning... sharing a place never really works out real well for us. :sour: