• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Need a little advice on batteries and trolling motor choice

JesseP

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length
I am looking at a trolling motor purchase, I have found tons of info here on Minn Kota but very little on Motorguide. My main reason for Motorguide is that I can get a XI5 36v 105, 60" for $1199 plus tax, I can add the pinpoint gps for around $400. My other concern is that I only have 1 battery currently, I has hoping to skip the house battery route and get a 36v trolling motor, that way I have backup if I drain the main battery. I did purchase a jump pack so I do have a back-up plan. Any advice appreciated.

Alan Crawford

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Definitely do not plan on using your starting or house battery in your setup. The drain the trolling motor will place on your batteries each time you use it will wear your "boat" batteries down. Pay the extra 200 and get 2 good marine deep cycle batteries specific to the trolling motor. I have the Xi5 Salt Water 60" 24V with pinpoint. I have never ran into a situation where the wind and current overpowered the motor. Plus, the 24V can cruise the boat at 4MPH under calm conditions. I can tell you that the pinpoint feature is wonderful. I can go to a wreck or hot spot , hit anchor and fish all day without ever throwing an anhor or worrying about drift. Plus, you can tie that model into your Lowrance electronics for even more functionality.

Learn from my mistake, plan your trolling motor and electronics purchase out. If you think you might want to have the 2 communicate, then purchase the appropriate model (Motorguide and Lowrance or Minn Kota and Hummingbird). I purchased a Garmin chart-plotter and later purchase the motorguide. Now I want to sell the garmin 741 and get a lowrance! I can also say that Motorguide's customer support is great. They are ran by mercury marine, and are willing to fix issues for the customer. I had corrosion develop on the head of the motor and called the warranty line. I had a completely new motor on the boat within the week, no questions asked. Their support interfaced between the local dealer to ship my defective unit out and deliver the new unit to me! Customer support is a huge part of the buy-again experience, so I will recommend Motorguide every time. Good Luck!!

swifty_210FSH

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I recently installed the MotorGuide Xi5 24V, 80 lbs, 60" Salt Water with Pinpoint GPS and interfaced it with a Lowrance HDS 9 Carbon. I've only been out on the water once since the install but let me tell you... the combination is really nice!

Van T

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
My Minn kota 24 v is plenty I have two blue tops from summit racing.com and Minn kota 3 bank charger I can go out for hours and hours and barely put a dent on the battery charge. Game changer!!!!! I don't even use my anchor any more.

JesseP

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length
Thanks guys, I think I'm going with the Xi5 105, 60". I will be able to get it and add the pinpoint gps for about $1500 after the rebate and I believe the latest update for the Go7 has Motorguide compatability.

Doug Sine

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Thanks guys, I think I'm going with the Xi5 105, 60". I will be able to get it and add the pinpoint gps for about $1500 after the rebate and I believe the latest update for the Go7 has Motorguide compatability.
I am shopping for a trolling motor as well. Where are you finding that model at that price? Thanks

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I have had good luck with a Minkota Terrova 24v. I have a 3 bank charger and two Optimas for the Minkota

JesseP

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length
I am shopping for a trolling motor as well. Where are you finding that model at that price? Thanks
West Marine website has it at 1199 without pinpoint gps, I saw the pinpoint on Hodges marine for 405 today. Rebate ends 6-17.

Doug Sine

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
West Marine website has it at 1199 without pinpoint gps, I saw the pinpoint on Hodges marine for 405 today. Rebate ends 6-17.
Thanks that’s an awesome deal. It’s weird that it’s cheaper than the 80# which is what I was looking at.

JesseP

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length
Thanks that’s an awesome deal. It’s weird that it’s cheaper than the 80# which is what I was looking at.
That is what I was looking at originally, but it’s hard to beat more power. And if you look at the specs the 105# actually uses less amps than the 80#.

Bubblehead

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I recently installed the MotorGuide Xi5 24V, 80 lbs, 60" Salt Water with Pinpoint GPS and interfaced it with a Lowrance HDS 9 Carbon. I've only been out on the water once since the install but let me tell you... the combination is really nice!
@swifty_210FSH Are you still liking the Xi5? Is the 24v plenty strong for the 210? I fish inshore/near shore and cant decide if I need 36v or 24v. If I do not need the extra thrust, two batteries would be better than three.

Last edited:

swifty_210FSH

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
@swifty_210FSH Are you still liking the Xi5? Is the 24v plenty strong for the 210? I fish inshore/near shore and cant decide if I need 36v or 24v. If I do not need the extra thrust, two batteries would be better than three.
@Bubblehead All of my boating this year has been in local fresh water lakes. My first thoughts were that environment wouldn't be quite as challenging as salt water. However, yesterday, the Xi5 was challenged more than it usually is and worked perfectly. I was meeting some friends on the lake and I got there first. Dropped the trolling motor in the water and hit the anchor button. My friends showed up in their 27 foot Crownline with the bimini top deployed. Normally, if we were planning on tying up together, one of us would drop an anchor. Yesterday, despite having 15-20 mph winds that were shifting, I said "let's see if the Xi5 can handle this one." All I can say is that it performed flawlessly! We were there for about 5 hours and stayed right on position. With that said, ripping tides combined with high winds at some point would be too much. For my needs, I'm 100% satisfied so far. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

clmchris

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
@Bubblehead All of my boating this year has been in local fresh water lakes. My first thoughts were that environment wouldn't be quite as challenging as salt water. However, yesterday, the Xi5 was challenged more than it usually is and worked perfectly. I was meeting some friends on the lake and I got there first. Dropped the trolling motor in the water and hit the anchor button. My friends showed up in their 27 foot Crownline with the bimini top deployed. Normally, if we were planning on tying up together, one of us would drop an anchor. Yesterday, despite having 15-20 mph winds that were shifting, I said "let's see if the Xi5 can handle this one." All I can say is that it performed flawlessly! We were there for about 5 hours and stayed right on position. With that said, ripping tides combined with high winds at some point would be too much. For my needs, I'm 100% satisfied so far. Hope this helps.
What length did you get on the trolling motor shaft? 72”?

swifty_210FSH

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
MotorGuide Xi5 Salt Water 80#/60" w/Pinpoint GPS

Bubblehead

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I just purchased xi5 36v 72"... just trying plan how I'm going to mount it.

clmchris

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I just purchased xi5 36v 72"... just trying plan how I'm going to mount it.
Are you going to use the mounting plate Yamaha provided?

swifty_210FSH

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I've had zero issues with it not being long enough but it's only been in fresh water lakes. Rough salt water applications may be a different story.

Bubblehead

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I went with 72 because it seemed better to be too long than too short