• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Need a recommendation for engine work

Adub24Cardinals

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Hello all,

hoping I can get recommendations in my area (area code 85306) to take a look at my 2013 Yamaha 242 Limited S, having issues with port side engine… tried a few things but no luck. Time to take it in, hoping someone on here can recommend a place. Thanks for your input.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What’s it doing? Or not doing? Are you mechanically inclined? Might not be that hard to fix. Usually it’s harder to diagnose. Lots of great mechanics here if you have the time.

Adub24Cardinals

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
What’s it doing? Or not doing? Are you mechanically inclined? Might not be that hard to fix. Usually it’s harder to diagnose. Lots of great mechanics here if you have the time.
when I fire it up its making a clanking noise, and immediately shutting off. I replaced the impeller and impeller housing already, as the symptoms seemed very similar. no codes are coming back either. Would love to fix myself just not sure what else to look at or check.

Adub24Cardinals

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
when I fire it up its making a clanking noise, and immediately shutting off. I replaced the impeller and impeller housing already, as the symptoms seemed very similar. no codes are coming back either. Would love to fix myself just not sure what else to look at or check.
I did have to replace the port side key switch assembly, not sure that has anything to do with it, but maybe… I bought OEM Yamaha Replacements.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would pull the impeller/shaft since you think its making to much noise and then see if the engine problem continues

Adub24Cardinals

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I would pull the impeller/shaft since you think its making to much noise and then see if the engine problem continues
Took off the impeller and shaft, attempted to start and same issue, engine fires up then immediately shuts off. Swapped the computers as well same thing. It does have the beeping noise after I shut off the key for a bit as well, but I’m not sure what is causing that to happen.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Took off the impeller and shaft, attempted to start and same issue, engine fires up then immediately shuts off. Swapped the computers as well same thing. It does have the beeping noise after I shut off the key for a bit as well, but I’m not sure what is causing that to happen.
Your boat is much newer than mine and has a different engine too. So I’m really just throwing out ideas on what I’d try.
1. Id hook up to YDS Software to look for error codes. Also looking to see if there’s a kill switch activating when the engine fires up.
2. I’d change the spark plugs. possibly removing all plugs and performing a compression check at the same time.
3. Swap the coils from engine to engine
4. Since you swapped out the ignition switches recently, reach behind the dash and swap plugs to the key switches. Just to rule that out too.
Either way, whether you work on it yourself or send it to the shop, good luck with the repair. Hopefully it’s simple!!