• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Need additive with ethanol-free fuel?

Grover70

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
I use Gate Gas Station's ethanol-free fuel in my '17 FSH. Usually I need to fill up twice a month. I noticed plenty of commentary on additives for E10, but what about ethanol-free? Should I consider an additive for the general health of the engine? Is there a preventative aspect to using any particular additive?

Thoughts and experiences?

Thanks!

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Ethanol free gas is much better for you engine. Additives are not necessary if you use quality fuel.

Eric Ballard

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I've Been told if you plan on burning entire tank of gas having ethanol in that gas is not a problem. I've been told the problem is when you let the ethanol gas sit in the tank. Correct me if I'm wrong though please. That said I thought treatment in my gas whenever I fill up with ethanol gas.

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I use the standard pump gas with up to 10% ethanol. The only additive I use is Stabil 360 with each fillup. Keeps water from forming and keeps that gas in good condition if it sits for a length of time.

Grover70

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
I've Been told if you plan on burning entire tank of gas having ethanol in that gas is not a problem. I've been told the problem is when you let the ethanol gas sit in the tank. Correct me if I'm wrong though please. That said I thought treatment in my gas whenever I fill up with ethanol gas.
I've heard that ethanol does leave behind water and that was the main issue.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Ethanol is here to stay for the near term. It won't harm your boats engine, "if", you add a good ethanol treatment. But in a boat that sits, it isn't just phase separation, the issue that ethanol causes. It is any moisture accumulation from condensation, and the fuel losing its octane. Two months is a very long time for fuel to sit without being burned. And I just had my chain saw worked on a month ago, and their only repair was to replace the fuel in the tank and clean the carburetor. That fuel was ethanol free, and only about 2 to 3 months old! I would love to say I ALWAYS use Marine Grade Stabil, a great fuel treatment and extender, but in that can, I forgot to add it. I have used fuel 2 years old without issue that was treated with Marine Grade Stabil. And hopefully on everything but my vehicles, I will continue to always use it. Because it helps with that condensation as well as preserving the quality of the fuel for months into the future. Many are lulled into a false sense of security when they buy ethanol free fuels. They start to go bad in just a few months just like all fuels...unless you add a quality stabilizer.

Grover70

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Ethanol is here to stay for the near term. It won't harm your boats engine, "if", you add a good ethanol treatment. But in a boat that sits, it isn't just phase separation, the issue that ethanol causes. It is any moisture accumulation from condensation, and the fuel losing its octane. Two months is a very long time for fuel to sit without being burned. And I just had my chain saw worked on a month ago, and their only repair was to replace the fuel in the tank and clean the carburetor. That fuel was ethanol free, and only about 2 to 3 months old! I would love to say I ALWAYS use Marine Grade Stabil, a great fuel treatment and extender, but in that can, I forgot to add it. I have used fuel 2 years old without issue that was treated with Marine Grade Stabil. And hopefully on everything but my vehicles, I will continue to always use it. Because it helps with that condensation as well as preserving the quality of the fuel for months into the future. Many are lulled into a false sense of security when they buy ethanol free fuels. They start to go bad in just a few months just like all fuels...unless you add a quality stabilizer.
Thank you for the advice and sharing your own personal experience. I will take a close look at the Marine Grade Stabil.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
x2 on marine stabil.

I also have an old habit of using Yamaha Ring Free in boats. I have talked to many east coast fishermen who routinely run two stroker o/b WOT for over 2,000 hours before they ditch them. That stuff is also great in four strokes, also part of Yamaha new fuel treatment.

--

Scott griffith

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
I have used the star tron ring free in mine since I bought it 2 years ago and I always only put ethanol free gas in mine . There is a station close to my house and the ethanol free gas is only 10 cents more then the premium

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm fortunate enough to live a few miles from the county line. The adjacent county doesn't have the ethanol requirement so I'm able to burn exclusively ethanol-free in my boat and small engines.

Like Mel's, my 5-gallon small engine gas can gets Sta-Bil every time I fill it. I've been known to go nearly a year before needing to refill it so treatment is a requirement.

The boat gets Sta-Bil in the Fall of the year before she's stored for the winter months. Sometimes in the spring I've been known to dump a can of Sea-Foam in there just for giggles but that's not a necessity.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I use stabil 360 every time I get gas, but I would say I only have used it for the past 2 years. Before that it was random...use, don't use, full tank for winter, half, empty. No problems. I also have a 5g can of gas I use in my mower and it's 2 seasons old with no stabil no nothing. No issues. No issues with weedeater, blower, etc. sitting multiple winters.