• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Need Advice! Yamaha AR240 or Chaparral 243 VRX?

Michael74

Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Obviously I'm new, so be gentle! LOL!
Currently, I own a McGregor motor/sail and a 12' v-hull jon boat. I'm about to go all in and buy my first REAL boat. I want to be able to do some light fishing, go out and splash the kids around on a tube, drag them around on a wake board, and be able to trailer the boat down to Ft. Lauderdale and head out to the Bahamas with a group of knowledgeable and experienced people. And you know ya gotta fish if you're in the ocean. Panama city and destin is a guaranteed destination!
I have narrowed my choices down to 2 boats that I can reasonably afford. One is the Yamaha AR240 and the other is the Chaparral 243. Both are gonna hit me for the mid to high 60's. Which one is best? Is there a better option? What "extras" should I dial in on? It doesn't have to be one of these. Is there a different boat I should look at? Can the dealer put in a bigger fuel tank on a more suitable boat?
I know that I want "New" (2017-2018 model). A usable bathroom for the wife and kids is a requirement! While out on the water, or travelling to the Bahamas, we would be 6-9 people deep on the boat. 6 of us and anywhere from 0-3 friends.
I really need to stay under 70k. With a bigger down payment, I could probably squeeze 75k. I simply can't afford one of those 100k+ boats. Maybe when I win the lottery, but not now!
Please help! Just doing some window shopping has about scared me into a point of saying this is unattainable.

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I think you cant go wrong with either of your 2 choices. I have a Yamaha, so I tend to lean that way....but I did look at a Chap before I bought and was impressed! This is my opinion....which is all it is....opinion :)

Chap:
1. Great boat....some say the fit and finish on the Chap is better, but I have seen no such issues with mine.
2. Closed loop cooling....some like this more than the open because you only have clean water in the system. Since you are going to be operating in salt water, it might be an issue, however, many Yamaha owners operate in salt water and as long as you flush your engines after every use I dont think this is an issue. Even with the Chap you should flush after each salt water use. I actually flush mine at the end of every weekend and I am only in fresh water.
3. Engine options of either 2 @ 200hp or 250 hp, so more power than the Yamaha. Rotax engines seem to be quality, but I have read about more Rotax problems than Yamahas. Also remember, the turbo charger has to be overhauled at 200 hours, I believe. My understanding is this is fairly expensive. I dont know if it is a DIY thing.
4. Warranty is 5 years....more than Yamaha, and very good at first impression. However, I have read about some issues with the items NOT covered. The list is very long and extensive. And this statement would be of some concern to me:
"This Agreement does not cover any Engine components, Accessory components, services or benefits not specifically listed for coverage in the Agreement booklet. If the component, benefit or service is not listed as eligible for coverage, it is not covered."

Yamaha:
1. Great boat....fit and finish are great on mine.
2. Open loop cooling....simpler, but does mean you have to be diligent in flushing, which is really not a problem.
3. Only one engine available, but they are proven engines in performance and reliability.
4. For warranty issues you only have to deal with Yamaha....they make everything but the audio components, but the warranty is literally bow to stern.
5. Warranty is only one year, but they seem to always have specials to include their YES program, which can give you up to 5 years bow to stern at no additional cost. In my case, I got a 4 year warranty.
6. Yamaha has more experience building jetboats than any other manufacturer.
7. Options....there really are no options available....they come with everything including the trailer in the MSRP.
8. In fairness, the Yamaha engines do require that valve clearance should be checked at 200 hours. Most will tell you that this is NOT an issue, but it IS a DIY thing. Most dont worry about the valve clearance issue until they start noticing performance issues.
9. Clean outs.....this is a huge feature that only Yamaha has....it is much easier to pull the plugs than have to swim under the boat, or take the boat out of the water to clear the blockage.

Good luck on your choice....I dont think there is a right or wrong decision....you will have a great boat! I do recommend you take a test ride to make a good comparison AND once you make you decision....insist on a sea trial of your boat. I didnt conduct a sea trial....didnt think of it....should have done it....but was lucky and had no issues!

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think you cant go wrong with either of your 2 choices. I have a Yamaha, so I tend to lean that way....but I did look at a Chap before I bought and was impressed! This is my opinion....which is all it is....opinion :)

Chap:
1. Great boat....some say the fit and finish on the Chap is better, but I have seen no such issues with mine.
2. Closed loop cooling....some like this more than the open because you only have clean water in the system. Since you are going to be operating in salt water, it might be an issue, however, many Yamaha owners operate in salt water and as long as you flush your engines after every use I dont think this is an issue. Even with the Chap you should flush after each salt water use. I actually flush mine at the end of every weekend and I am only in fresh water.
3. Engine options of either 2 @ 200hp or 250 hp, so more power than the Yamaha. Rotax engines seem to be quality, but I have read about more Rotax problems than Yamahas. Also remember, the turbo charger has to be overhauled at 200 hours, I believe. My understanding is this is fairly expensive. I dont know if it is a DIY thing.
4. Warranty is 5 years....more than Yamaha, and very good at first impression. However, I have read about some issues with the items NOT covered. The list is very long and extensive. And this statement would be of some concern to me:
"This Agreement does not cover any Engine components, Accessory components, services or benefits not specifically listed for coverage in the Agreement booklet. If the component, benefit or service is not listed as eligible for coverage, it is not covered."

Yamaha:
1. Great boat....fit and finish are great on mine.
2. Open loop cooling....simpler, but does mean you have to be diligent in flushing, which is really not a problem.
3. Only one engine available, but they are proven engines in performance and reliability.
4. For warranty issues you only have to deal with Yamaha....they make everything but the audio components, but the warranty is literally bow to stern.
5. Warranty is only one year, but they seem to always have specials to include their YES program, which can give you up to 5 years bow to stern at no additional cost. In my case, I got a 4 year warranty.
6. Yamaha has more experience building jetboats than any other manufacturer.
7. Options....there really are no options available....they come with everything including the trailer in the MSRP.
8. In fairness, the Yamaha engines do require that valve clearance should be checked at 200 hours. Most will tell you that this is NOT an issue, but it IS a DIY thing. Most dont worry about the valve clearance issue until they start noticing performance issues.
9. Clean outs.....this is a huge feature that only Yamaha has....it is much easier to pull the plugs than have to swim under the boat, or take the boat out of the water to clear the blockage.

Good luck on your choice....I dont think there is a right or wrong decision....you will have a great boat! I do recommend you take a test ride to make a good comparison AND once you make you decision....insist on a sea trial of your boat. I didnt conduct a sea trial....didnt think of it....should have done it....but was lucky and had no issues!

Well said.

Michael74

Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Well
Yamaha 1
Chaparral 0

You covered some very important points! If I wanted to be on my tools rebuilding turbos...I'd build a race car. I, too, have read some pretty ugly things about the warranty hassles and engine issues of Chaparral. Thank you for the feed back! It's much appreciated and I'm taking it all in.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would humbly ask you look carefully at your planned capacity on a crossing to the Bahamas. You likely want anyone on the boat behind the windshield for the trip, 6 seems almost tight but reasonable still. 9 not so much. I haven't been myself, so just speaking from what i have read so far. Be sure to get those expectations set correctly so you are not disappointed with carrying capacity.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Okay, about this Yamaha warranty... let's be real, shall we?

Yamaha one year bow to stern is a big effing joke, unfortunately. It can be denied on a whim. You are totally at the mercy of a Yamaha adjuster, and if you are denied you will have no recourse but to fight them in courts.

These jet boats are (nowadays) not built for serious boating, Yamaha themselves considers them basically as lake boats. If you dare to take your boat off-shore (sic) you are pretty much on your own. My experience with that has been absolutely miserable, being denied factory warranty coverage for obvious factory faults - some $10k worth of parts falling apart in a less then 1-year old boat.

I would not put any stock in those Yamaha warranties or - likewise myself - you could find yourself at the mercy of some 25yo moron running their "customer care" department who will turn you down for whatever reason. It's a joke, if you ask me. I buy my boats with play money and can not imagine what I would do if I was on the hook with this boat and a loan... I think I would be pretty miserable.

Also, please read the "YES" warranty coverage agreement. It covers pretty much nothing but the drive train, and only under pretty specific circumstances. It is a generic policy that also covers atvs and snowmobiles etc...

Don't get me wrong, among jet boat makers Yamaha is still probably the best overall, currently. But that is, unfortunately, not saying much. Chaparral jet boats have many issues, and finding a supportive dealer would probably be the key.

If I was buying again, I think I would take a chance on a Scarab, but only if I could find a dealer that I trust, not necessarily local. The BRP engines are pretty amazing and supercharger rebuilds are not a huge deal these days, send them out and pay couple hundred bucks. Which is nothing, on the scale of things.

The best deals, IMO, are the late model (2008-2009) Yamaha 230s. Those are probably the best jet boats ever built, when Yamaha was actually giving a damn about quality.

Yamaha knows how to make small engines. The drive trains are solid. The rest of the boat... not so much. I would not confuse Yamaha, the outboard motor builder, with Yamaha, the jet boat manufacturer.

--

Last edited:

Michael74

Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Wow! That was a "feel good" review! LOL
That's good though. I want the good and the bad. This is a big investment.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I purchased a 2008 sx230 for $17k last year, needing some love. I like to do some of the work myself, and I find I can generally get the boat running faster than most dealers if any issues come up. I have the I fix it warranty. I saved so much, if it breaks,i just fix it out of pocket. Fast. ( I've only had this one a year, nothing broke yet, lots of upgrades, but my little 18ft seadoo was on this plan 14 years. Zero regrets.)

It is not the new ownership
Experience with the brand new smell, but all boats are used boats on day 2. You can apply upgrades to used boats with all the money you saved and still come out ahead. Money is not worth the same to all, so if new is worth it to you, nothing wrong with that.

This has been a shameless plug for a used 2007+ 230 series boat.

Scarabpaul

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
welcome! below link is some really good discussions on the 242 vs. 243vrx, long read but well worth it. I would also look at the Scarab 255, its slight larger at 25ft and I'm sure in your price range. I would go look at all three boats and also ensure you have a good dealer nearby, that could make or break it in the satisfaction department..... when I purchased my Scarab 215 I looked at the Yamaha 212 and really liked it but the scarab just suited me better, I thought the swim platform of the Yamaha took up way too much room inside the boat ( could be just optics) and the scarab was a good median. don't be worried about the rotax powerplant, its a solid motor. the other item worth noting, the steering / reverse bucket on the rotax powered boats are exceptional, I don't believe the Yamaha's are quit there ( only my opinion) but there are options to enhance the steering through a couple vendors. You really cant go wrong with all three. good luck!

https://jetboaters.net/threads/2015-comparison-yamaha-242-ltd-s-versus-chaparral-243-vortex-vrx.4382/page-2#post-79090

Michael74

Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I just looked at the scarab. That's a nice boat!

waternutt

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
Lots of good comments on here already, but I will throw in my .02 as well. I was deciding between Chap and Yamaha this spring. Did not look at Scarab, so no opinion there.

I think it really comes down to which one you like better, which one you can get a better deal on, and/or which one has the better dealer. When I was buying, I could have purchased a new 2016 Chap 243 VR or 2016 Yamaha 242LE for about the same price. Chap had one more year of warranty. Other than that, the deal was about the same. I went back and forth quite a bit. In the end, I went with the Chap.

The boat has been good. More importantly, the family likes the boat. I had a couple small items with the boat and a trailer issue that the dealer took care of. I have not driven a Yamaha, but I can say I do like the steering/reverse bucket on the Chap. As I have posted here before, I think the Chap's head is more built as a head and the Yamaha's is more built as a storage compartment, but both can be used either way. I have not towed anything (other than my friend's boat) but the tow point on the Chap is a bit lower than the Yamaha. Not an issue if you have a tower (which your two choices have). I have the 200hp engines in mine and have not felt the need for more. I have had up to 8 people (4 adults/4 kids) on mine and it has been comfortable. If you run in saltwater, you will need to still flush the Chap.

Just a few of my random thoughts.

n1111z

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Is there a better option you ask? Yes. Why would you spend on a weekend toy, and leverage yourself to the hilt, the same amount of money that would buy a brand new luxury German sedan that you could drive every day? Save up a little more and pay cash for a used boat where someone else has taken the depreciation hit. Yamaha, Chap, it doesn't matter; warranty work will cost you days if not weeks of non-use, and yes, money. Boats will be boats and will ALWAYS break. I paid 35k for a solid 2013 LS and if it goes south, I have enough reserve to pay for an engine overhaul or anything else. Yes the paint is faded and there is no "Connext" but it runs great, serves its purpose, and I have a guy who can fix anything that goes wrong.

And please, before you decide to subject your property and your family to a crossing of the Gulf Stream in a 24 foot pleasure craft, carefully peruse the 2017 Bimini crossing thread, which I call "The Agony And The Ecstacy." Good luck!

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I would humbly ask you look carefully at your planned capacity on a crossing to the Bahamas. You likely want anyone on the boat behind the windshield for the trip, 6 seems almost tight but reasonable still. 9 not so much. I haven't been myself, so just speaking from what i have read so far. Be sure to get those expectations set correctly so you are not disappointed with carrying capacity.
I have had some warranty issues with absolutely no problems or push back from Yamaha! It may have taken them longer than I expected but it was done no questions!

Stevenpigsooie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have had some warranty issues with absolutely no problems or push back from Yamaha! It may have taken them longer than I expected but it was done no questions!
Me too. Find a good dealer.

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
When it comes to insurance claims it's all about the adjuster your working with and what type of person they are. I used to be a commercial property adjuster for 10 years so I have much insights on that. Most insurance companies want to help and pay what they can nothing more nothing less. The problem is some of the adjusters take their jobs way too far. From all my times as an independent adjuster and staff adjuster for insurance companies no one has ever told me not to cover something. The saying was always "LOOK FOR COVERAGE". So in the end they try their best to cover it all. They are offering a product that is not tangible so customer service is what makes or breaks them. Some adjusters take it upon themselves to think they are saving the company money to deny claims without thinking about doing what is right. It becomes a power trip really. With proper documentation on the adjuster's end, you can cover most insurance claims that don't specifically go against the policy.

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
OK, guess ill chime in also. Did the same thing as you a few years ago. Ill keep it short.
1. Find a good dealer you can trust first, Sometimes a mediocre boat with a great dealer is better than a great boat with a crappy dealer.
2. I went with Yamaha because its all Yamaha, no arguing over who covers what under warranty.
3. Clean out ports, only Yamaha has these and they can save a day on the water.
4. When looking at price make sure you add all the options, Yamaha includes almost everything that the others charge extra for.
5. Yamaha wont budge on price but will throw in a LOT of extras, YES warranty, better trailer, covers, life jackets etc etc

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok, I'll chime in as well.

Yamaha's warranty is about as good (or bad) as any boat warranty. At the end of the day, you are totally at the mercy of your dealer and Yamaha.

I was denied warranty coverage for extensive damages to my new 240 incurred on the Bimini trip. Yamaha's assessment - communicated verbally - put the blame on operator's error and conditions. I received NO written denial for damages that my dealer estimated at about 10k. I have had access to NO paper trail other than my own notes...
(I posted many of the details somewhere else under a topic "AR240 tower failure", so no need to rehash it here.)

There were issues with that Yamaha denial I received which I felt were, frankly, dishonest.

For example, some of the damaged/broken parts should had been ABSOLUTELY, NO QUESTION covered under factory warranty - suggesting strongly the blanket denial I received was dictated by liability concerns. Even more disturbingly, perhaps, Yamaha operatives tried to have me file an insurance claim with my insurance provider - to cover for broken parts of my boat! In fact, they even offered to subsidize my claims' costs.
That's just plain sleazy, if you ask me.

So, if you think that Yamaha will take care of you "just because" you have their bow to stern one year factory warranty - you may or may not be pleasantly surprised. I, for one, was anything but.

I also think that the whole "YES" warranty value is VASTLY exaggerated in many a discussion here on the forum. If you actually read the damn thing, it is basically a generic, drive-train only, ATV/boat/scooter/whatnot type of bare bone warranty that hardly covers literally anything.

In fact, when serious issues have arisen with the 1.8 engines braking timing chains, those are fixed by Yamaha outside of any existing (or non-existing) warranties at no cost to customer (likely as a way to mitigate the risk of class action).

Yamaha (jet boat division) is not getting another dime of my money. But - if I were in the market for a Yamaha boat - I would take any available discount off of the purchase price in lieu of any of their warranties.

--

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Obviously I'm new, so be gentle! LOL!
Currently, I own a McGregor motor/sail and a 12' v-hull jon boat. I'm about to go all in and buy my first REAL boat. I want to be able to do some light fishing, go out and splash the kids around on a tube, drag them around on a wake board, and be able to trailer the boat down to Ft. Lauderdale and head out to the Bahamas with a group of knowledgeable and experienced people. And you know ya gotta fish if you're in the ocean. Panama city and destin is a guaranteed destination!
I have narrowed my choices down to 2 boats that I can reasonably afford. One is the Yamaha AR240 and the other is the Chaparral 243. Both are gonna hit me for the mid to high 60's. Which one is best? Is there a better option? What "extras" should I dial in on? It doesn't have to be one of these. Is there a different boat I should look at? Can the dealer put in a bigger fuel tank on a more suitable boat?
I know that I want "New" (2017-2018 model). A usable bathroom for the wife and kids is a requirement! While out on the water, or travelling to the Bahamas, we would be 6-9 people deep on the boat. 6 of us and anywhere from 0-3 friends.
I really need to stay under 70k. With a bigger down payment, I could probably squeeze 75k. I simply can't afford one of those 100k+ boats. Maybe when I win the lottery, but not now!
Please help! Just doing some window shopping has about scared me into a point of saying this is unattainable.
With regards to the Yamaha warranty I will say this. First...I believe the primary factor is the dealer! In my 3 years as a Yamaha owner I have had several warranty issues. Granted... none were major, but I never experienced any push back or attempt to not honor the warranty. Now if my engines, or hull, or drive systems crap out tomorrow, will they be as customer friendly? I hope I never have the need to find out! However, although the corporate customer service is worthless, as long as my dealer is still around I am confident in the system!