• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Need anchor advice

Adrenalinejunky

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I have the box anchor, a Danforth, and a 25lb richter. I have found the box anchor works ok for sand and seems to be questionable for mud if you have enough rode. The Danforth works well for both situations also but the chain is a necessity along with the scope. I mostly use the richter now especially in silty bottoms and when tying up with other boats. It works especially well in situations where I am not able to put out lot of rode and seems to hold better on windy days with the bimini up than the others. After owning and comparing each of these anchors head to head I would only buy the richter again.

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
My box fits perfectly in the anchor locker on my 242. I got this idea from someone else on here (forgot who or I'd credit him) but basically take a piece of rebar, cut it to 18" and slip it between the folder box anchor. the tines on it fit into the lower portion already in the anchor locker. I then lined the locker with some matting, and that thing doesn't move. I also "painted" the rebar with some spray-on truck bed-liner, and so far it's holding up OK.

Put out a little more than 2:1 scope and it even holds on Lake Tahoe on a windy day. I'd post pics, but the boat is up at the lake and I won't be on it until late this week.

props2you

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I did a ton of research this year for our personal boating conditions, windy days, sandy/weedy/muddy bottoms and decided to splurge on the Fortress FX-7 with 10ft of 5/16 chain, all I can say is, it's WORTH EVERY PENNY!!! And it fits neatly in the 242's bow anchor locker. This anchor has been a toss it and leave it anchor, I never have had to reset, worry or even think about it once it's overboard. And... It's SUPER light, I think like 7lbs.

shelayna_husky

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I finally gave up on the danforth in the rocky bottom of Lake Travis. I was having issues getting it to set especially on windy days. Got a box anchor and now I spend my timing swimming and watching other people struggling to anchor. Just like Ron Popeil said. "set it and forget it".
Hi there, which box anchor did you buy? I'm struggling on Canyon Lake and Medina Lake.

Devildog

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hi there, which box anchor did you buy? I'm struggling on Canyon Lake and Medina Lake.
I bought the small one a couple of years ago and it has been ”money”!! I have a 24’. Just make sure that the pin that keeps the anchor together is in tight enough. The spring loaded thing-a-ma-jig has loosened a little bit on mine, so the pin came out one time. Otherwise, like somebody said I earlier, Set It and Forget It.....

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Typically it’s the Small Box that works with our boats. To see how to fit it in the anchor locker and other tips I’ve noted them above (sorry for the short reply as I’m on my phone today).

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Screenshot_20200505-083936_Facebook.jpg
In this image only our boat, the read boat.. had out an anchor for several hours. A medium box anchor. The waves picked up later and it started dragging a little. Instead of adding more scope, the boat on the right dropped theirs to help.. the medium is large and heavy but if u dont want to drag.... u wont!

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I found with wind the small box would drag a bit. My working theory is the wind would make the anchor line more tight, then the wave action would be enough to raise the small arm on the box anchor and lift it enough to raise the front spikes on it. Last year I added about 8' of chain before the anchor line...and it didn't drag at all. I figured $25 in chain is way cheaper and easier than a new anchor.

shelayna_husky

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for the reply! I have the 24' AR 240 as well... I looked online... they small box anchors ranged in price... some around $100+, some over $200... do you recall which brand you bought and where?

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
That's a broad swing. I just checked Overtons and the Slide Anchor (that's the brand) Box Anchor is $170. I saw a knock off on Amazon as well that ranged from $101-200+. On that website the middle one (19lb is the weight we use) is like $140. I'm not sure what the difference is for that $30 but the quality on the Slide does look better than the Amazon one.

Dodi5

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The reason I prefer the box anchor. It is idiot-proof you throw it overboard and forget about it no setting no nothing because it does it all on its own.
Just bought one , is it idiot proof retrieving it , cause I’m so worried ( have t tried it yet ) when pulling up that it would hit the boat

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
If you have any wave action where you anchor, put a out 8-10’ of chain on it. I know the box doesn’t need it however the first season on Lake Tahoe with my 24 footer it slipped a few times if there was any amount of wind or waves.

so before going a whole new anchor route, I added some anchor chain. Now that chain keeps the arm on the box anchor down and it doesn’t slip. We do put a towel over the bow when we goose the anchor to keep from dragging the chain across it