• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Reminder of the Thrust Vector and Lateral Thruster group buy through JetBoatPilot.....you only have Until AUGUST 31st. to get in on this group buy.
    With a Maximum discount of 35% this is the highest discount you can get on these, so don't miss out!
    So if you are looking to improve your steering-either forwards or in reverse.....this sale may be for you!  

Thank you Will @jetboatpilot for offering this exclusively to JETBOATERS.net members!

(You can click the X to the right to dismiss this notice)

Need good ideas on repower issues - help please

andyak1

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have ar210 2007 bought with blown port engine.

Just finally got YDS up and running

good news - starboard shows boat has only 126 hours on it

the repowered port engine has 76 hours and is using ecm from ski as the boat ecm is

repower Port engine is erratic in that it bogs down and only runs up to 9000 plus rpm after first started, then bogs down and won't go over 2500.

Looking at YDS - the good starboard engine has very stable timing at 5 btdc at idle and increase when throttling up.

port engine has timing jumping around over 10 btdc at idle and seems to be erratic.

This port engine was in a ski that was totalled because it fell off lift into lake - so ski was in water for awhile. I have clean oil now that has stayed clean through all my testing. I replaced the oil cooler with a fresh cleaned one and took off pan and cleaned it all out with new gasket.

any ideas why timing would be erratic? I guess this would either be the problem or the symptom.

HELP PLEASE :)

Andy

swapped ECM and CAM sensor today. No difference. Timing jumps all over on YDS from 10 BTDC to 28 BTDC and all over in between constantly moving around at idle.

When first started it will rev up over 9000 rpm stable. then 20 sec later will not go above 2000. and bogs down with timing all over.

Could it be bad stator power? Good engine had voltage over 14 when running. this engine voltage was like 12.9

at a loss

You could unplug the rectifier to ensure that's not it. (I doubt it)

Compression check? Spark plugs OK? Leaky injectors? Fuel line swap with other engine?

Wild thoughts, hopefully others can provide more insight.

Thanks - yeah compression was 181-185 all cylinders right before install. 3 sets of plugs,

another set of injectors- then tested them in YDS and- all right around 12.5 ohms - I could put bottles over them and crank engine too see if any are leaking - but seems unlikely

Ran off of other fuel pump

swapped voltage regulators

still at a loss.

I wonder if the timing is off mechanically. When I had valve cover off I noticed 2 extra black dots on camshaft by the factory dot - I did not think on it because I thought engine was all set... but now I wonder...

Will it run in no wake-mode?

Well, both cams were off by about 2 teeth!

from the extra black marks on the cam I think some joe pro tried to set timing -- wrong. I was able to reset to correct by removing exhaust cam and pulling tensioner out on that side and loosening timing chain tensioner on intake side. I used a dial gauge and found TDC. Then was able to set intake cam correct and after a lot of finagling I got the exhaust cam in and set correctly.

Result: Started right up and now runs correctly!

20240531_121019.jpg20240531_121026.jpg

Nice!!! I was thinking about you... Everything seemed to be just fine outside the engine, looks like the issue was on the inside after all.

Back