• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Need help. Engine not starting. Pulser coil?

CraigAR

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Starboard engine all the sudden not starting. It cranks but does not fire. Rpm's only getting to about 120. Port engine starts fine, it cranks at about 225 rpms. Had someone run some tests and I beleave he said it was a pulser coil/sensor. He stated it was inside the engine and the engine would need to be pulled to swap it out. Has anyone dealt with this before and does that sound right? 2017 ar240 350 hours.

Last edited:

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
On MR-1, connector plug is green wires coming from generator case, (I think) and connects at engine hook. It may be loose. I think it can be tested. Instructions are in service manual.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Starboard engine all the sudden not starting. It cranks but does not fire. Rpm's only getting to about 120. Port engine starts fine, it cranks at about 225 rpms. Had someone run some tests and I beleave he said it was a pulser coil/sensor. He stated it was inside the engine and the engine would need to be pulled to swap it out. Has anyone delt with this before and does that sound right? 2017 ar240 350 hours.
You can ohm out the connector. From the back cover its the flat 2 wire connector. Compare resuts with the working engine

CraigAR

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Here's what the first guy said:

"Port side engine does not start, turns over but does not fire
When engine crank sometimes no RPM displays on cluster,
Checked tested pickup coil with my multimeter and it failed the test
Pulser coil tested bad, engine needs to be removed to replace pulser coil
Keep in mind motor mounts might break"

Screenshot_20231031_171746_Chrome.jpg

Does this look right?

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What is year and engine cc!

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

View attachment 211012

Does this look right?
Thats a ripoff, did the same job for a customer. Did it on his boat lift only slid engine forward and tilted rear of engine up with wood blocks.
Took me aprox 4 hours

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

View attachment 211012

Does this look right?
20230604_111535.jpg20230604_104121.jpg20230604_095110.jpg20230604_104058.jpg

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Cost depends on the hourly rate. Here in CA it’s $170 per hour. @Neutron said it took him four hours so $640 seems about right. Pulling and reinstalling an engine would add considerably to the cost. I had four engines from a 2010 and 2017 240 series boats pulled a few months ago, didn’t break any motors mounts but breaking the bolts loose was a pita.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What would be a reasonable price? Shoot I could fly you down to FL lol
I would think parts and labor and a tech that knows what is really involved $1000.00ish
Trust me that place if they know it can be done without removing the engine completely, will still charge to remove it. Why because the manual states the engine must be removed to do a 10 minute job once out.
I am the king of looking at any job and quickly assessing how i can make it quicker to accomplish it. I work flat/rate so the more efficient i am the more money i make. I work physically 8.5 hours a day and produce 20+hours in that time. If i followed each step in the manual I wouldn't break even.

But my point is that an honest shop will find a price in the middle to make it good for both parties