• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Need Help on Trailer Brakes

isitsummeryet

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Guys so I went to the ramp this Saturday (Salt Water) and the brakes kept locking in reverse. Won't even let me move the damn thing at all! So I had my wife carefully hold the key in the key slot until they freed up backing (I was driving at like 1mph carefully since she was back there holding it. Super dangerous I think. A guy at the boat ramp told me that all trailer brakes get ruined coz of salt water and he suggested for me to completely take them off. He said that's what he did to his trailer brakes but then I am putting such a load on my truck brakes, I don;t really want to do that! I fully take care of spraying all kinds of anti-corrosion stuff on the calipers and brakes religiously like a lunatic!

Can I get some advise here? What can I do to fix this issue? I boat on the gulf in 100% salt water and I pressure wash the trailer underside, calipers, brakes etc everytime after we go boating and spray lubricant/anti-corrosion stuff. If the brakes are actually ruined, isn't it super dangerous since they could lock up going down the freeway?! Yikes?! Or am I overthinking this? My tuck has the 7 pin plug in so I use the adapter. Trailer is for 21ft AR210 2018 so not that old.

Last edited:

WestMIJet

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If this just started and it was working fine previously then the reverse solenoid may be bad or the wire to that solenoid is bad. The solenoid is in the tongue, it gets a signal when your reverse lights go on and it stops the brakes from activating. I’m with you, fix the brakes for safety reasons.
Solenoid

eastcoaster

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Check to see if your trailer lights are working. Could just be a bad connection at the plug. Removing the trailer brakes is not a good idea. My guess is it is an electrical issue not a brake issue.

granpachuck

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Guys so In went to the ramp this Saturday (Salt Water) and the brakes kept locking in reverse. Won't even let me move the damn thing at all! So I had my wife carefully hold the key in the key slot until they freed up backing (I was driving at like 1mph carefully since she was back there holding it. Super dangerous I think. A guy at the boat ramp told me that all trailer brakes get ruined coz of salt water and he suggested for me to completely take them off. He said that's what he did to his trailer brakes but then I am putting such a load on my truck brakes, I don;t really want to do that! I fully take care of spraying all kinds of anti-corrosion stuff on the calipers and brakes religiously like a lunatic!

Can I get some advise here? What can I do to fix this issue? I boat on the gulf in 100% salt water and I pressure wash the trailer underside, calipers, brakes etc everytime after we go boating and spray lubricant/anti-corrosion stuff. If the brakes are actually ruined, isn't it super dangerous since they could lock up going down the freeway?! Yikes?! Or am I overthinking this? My tuck has the 7 pin plug in so I use the adapter. Trailer is for 21ft AR210 2018 so not that old.
In the short term, get something like this, not sure of the correct one for your trailer.

This way the boss doesn't get hurt walking behind your car. I second the advice already received on not removing brakes, good idea to check the solenoid.

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I have a rectangle magnet that I bought from Lowes for about $4.00 I believe and it works great. Perfect size too. It fits right inside the nook of the key. Although I will say the Back Up Buddy looks like a better fix.

waternutt

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
If this just started and it was working fine previously then the reverse solenoid may be bad or the wire to that solenoid is bad. The solenoid is in the tongue, it gets a signal when your reverse lights go on and it stops the brakes from activating. I’m with you, fix the brakes for safety reasons.
Solenoid
I just went through a couple issues with my trailer brakes so I have some recent experience. If it is only in reverse, I agree with @WestMIJet in that it is a bad connection or solenoid. Inspect/clean the connection between the adapter and trailer wiring as well as other connections.

I also agree that removing brakes seems like a bad idea. A few weeks back, I took my trailer in to a local boat trailer builder to have the bearings inspected/repacked. They told me my some of my brakes were inop. In the end, I got all new hubs, discs, calipers, pads, etc.

I too was religious about washing and cleaning the brakes after every outing. In discussion with the trailer shop, the problem is after you launch, your trailer sits in the sun with that salt water on it for hours while you are out. I started bringing a small pump sprayer filled with salt-away and water. Trailer shop owner said he uses Dawn dish soap. Now I spray down the wheels, brakes, etc as soon as I park the trailer before I shove out. We will see how that works.

isitsummeryet

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Where is the solenoid located? Is it under inside the trailer tongue? I did spray a crap ton of fluid film and CRC corrosion inhibitor on a cylinder looking thing from the underside where the trailer tongue is since it was showing signs of surface rust. Maybe there is a large buildup of lubricant there causing an issue? Could that be?

isitsummeryet

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I cannot find ANY service manual or document on the shorelander trailers on their website or anywhere. Strange. Nothing

granpachuck

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Either a wiring problem to the solenoid, a bad solenoid or a bad ground.

Troubleshooting the wiring should take 20 mins with a helper and a multimeter.

Shorelander service manuals are available here, but the required manuals probably were included with your boat purchase as well (we had 3-4 manuals included for the trailer: tongue, brakes, winch).

Can you identify your surge tongue model number?

WestMIJet

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The solenoid is near the back of the actuator. There should be a single wire going to that solenoid. You need to verify that wire is good and power is getting to the solenoid when in reverse. I would guess it is an electrical issue. Maybe the wire got pinched.
A-60 diagram

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@WestMIJet Excuse me! I am not seeing any electrical connection on the A-60 diagram. Is it possible that isitsummeryet has surge brakes without any electrical assist? I think that is what I have on my MFI trailer for my 2007 SX.

WestMIJet

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@WestMIJet Excuse me! I am not seeing any electrical connection on the A-60 diagram. Is it possible that isitsummeryet has surge brakes without any electrical assist? I think that is what I have on my MFI trailer for my 2007 SX.
I noticed the electrical is not shown but if it is a UFP-60 it should be an electric solenoid.
If you have a 5 wire plug the 5th wire is sending the reverse signal to the solenoid.

WestMIJet

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

granpachuck

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Thank you. This is helpful. Looks like I have the A-60 model
This fellow has a long video that breaks down the actuator you have. If you are near the boat, attach the car and electrical plug, then have someone put the car in reverse, with the parking brake on. You should feel and hear a click when the solenoid is activated. If you don't. then you have to continue troubleshooting with the tips provided with the earlier responses.

isitsummeryet

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This fellow has a long video that breaks down the actuator you have. If you are near the boat, attach the car and electrical plug, then have someone put the car in reverse, with the parking brake on. You should feel and hear a click when the solenoid is activated. If you don't. then you have to continue troubleshooting with the tips provided with the earlier responses.

Got it.. Thank you

granpachuck

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I just went through a couple issues with my trailer brakes so I have some recent experience. If it is only in reverse, I agree with @WestMIJet in that it is a bad connection or solenoid. Inspect/clean the connection between the adapter and trailer wiring as well as other connections.

I also agree that removing brakes seems like a bad idea. A few weeks back, I took my trailer in to a local boat trailer builder to have the bearings inspected/repacked. They told me my some of my brakes were inop. In the end, I got all new hubs, discs, calipers, pads, etc.

I too was religious about washing and cleaning the brakes after every outing. In discussion with the trailer shop, the problem is after you launch, your trailer sits in the sun with that salt water on it for hours while you are out. I started bringing a small pump sprayer filled with salt-away and water. Trailer shop owner said he uses Dawn dish soap. Now I spray down the wheels, brakes, etc as soon as I park the trailer before I shove out. We will see how that works.
If I was boating in salt water, I would definitely try that washing down routine. Salt water is brutal.
Follow up question though: your trailer guy suggested using dawn in place of salt away, and just the flushing with the dawn soap solution would counter act the salt water ? Sounds nice and simple, which appeals to me.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Guys so I went to the ramp this Saturday (Salt Water) and the brakes kept locking in reverse. Won't even let me move the damn thing at all! So I had my wife carefully hold the key in the key slot until they freed up backing (I was driving at like 1mph carefully since she was back there holding it. Super dangerous I think. A guy at the boat ramp told me that all trailer brakes get ruined coz of salt water and he suggested for me to completely take them off. He said that's what he did to his trailer brakes but then I am putting such a load on my truck brakes, I don;t really want to do that! I fully take care of spraying all kinds of anti-corrosion stuff on the calipers and brakes religiously like a lunatic!

Sounds like the guy at the ramp is to cheap to fix a much needed trailering aid. What an idiot

granpachuck

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Sounds like the guy at the ramp is to cheap to fix a much needed trailering aid. What an idiot
Yeah, not the best advice I ever heard, but there are plenty of trailers without brakes, which seems like a bad idea if you tow more than a mile or 2. My friend tows a 21 foot Chap and has no brakes on the trailer. He isn't even slightly concerned.