• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Need help sizing amplifiers for stereo upgrade

tahmad575

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hello All,

I want to upgrade the entire stereo system in my 2005 Yamaha sx230, here’s the items and specs I want to incorporate into the system:

8 pieces - rgb kicker marine 6.5” speakers 4 ohm / 65 watts rms / 195 watts peak
1 piece - Kicker 46CWTB102 10” subwoofer 2 ohm / 400 watts rms / 800 watts peak

Now for the amps,
I’m thinking about 3 total, here are the specs

2 pieces - Skar audio marine 500 watt 4 channel - I’m thinking 4 of the 6.5” speakers per amp
RMS Power @ 2 Ω125W x 4 Ch (14.4v)
RMS Power @ 4 Ω75W x 4 Ch (14.4v)

1 piece - Skar audio marine 1000 watt 4 channel amp - only the subwoofer on this amp
RMS Power @ 2 Ω250W x 4 Ch (14.4v)
RMS Power @ 4 Ω150W x 4 Ch (14.4v)

So I currently have a jvc single din radio but the Bluetooth connection isn’t always great when on the boat so I will upgrade to a newer single din radio- haven’t decided and any suggestions would be appreciated

If needed I’ll get a 1 input to 3 output RCA splitter, as well as 1-3 fused power block distributors for amp power, as well as a splitter for the “rem” wire

Will these amps be powerful enough? Or are they too powerful?
Will the speakers draw too much power that the amps will overheat?
I’ve heard that standard car alternators are good for a 1000 watt system, not sure if this is true but do I need to be concerned about running this 2000 watt system in my boat

Thanks in advance

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
You could run the 8 Kickers off the single Skar. (The bottom one will give you plenty of power and head room to do this, though the top ampw ould work fine. Wire a pair to 2 ohms. You loose about 13 watts per channel going with one amp over two. (Given the top amp)

Look for a monoblock for the sub amp.

oramac

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have an Infinity amplifier in my boat with 4 6.5" Infinity speakers. At 75w per channel RMS (speakers are power matched), I cannot even run the amp at full power, because it is painfully loud in the boat. Not distorted, just LOUD. I would say you could use the first amp running two speakers per channel in series (so, essentially two zones), then get a dedicated subwoofer amp.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I have an Infinity amplifier in my boat with 4 6.5" Infinity speakers. At 75w per channel RMS (speakers are power matched), I cannot even run the amp at full power, because it is painfully loud in the boat. Not distorted, just LOUD. I would say you could use the first amp running two speakers per channel in series (so, essentially two zones), then get a dedicated subwoofer amp.
parallel not series