• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Need help with Clarion CDM8 USB feature.

Ron Westman

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have a factory installed Clarion CDM8 stereo on my 2015 Yamaha SX210. The stereo has a USB input on the front. I would like to have a USB Flash Drive with some of my favorite music.

I copied some of my music on a flash drive in MP3 format but the radio did not recognize the music being on the flash drive.

Can someone please help me figure out how to get this to work?

Thank you

chess

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Did you format it correctly before tossing the music on ?

KyleWade14

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Ron Westman

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Did you format it correctly before tossing the music on ?
I am pretty sure I did. The manual gives a couple of different formats, one being MP3 which is what I used.
Since I am new to using the USB feature I put songs in the root directory of the USB and I made a Folder and put some songs in that Folder. My next plan is to put the songs in the root directory only to see if that helps.

I am hoping someone else has already used the USB feature and can walk me through the proper steps. Any ideas or suggestions with be happily appreciated.

chess

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am pretty sure I did. The manual gives a couple of different formats, one being MP3 which is what I used.
Since I am new to using the USB feature I put songs in the root directory of the USB and I made a Folder and put some songs in that Folder. My next plan is to put the songs in the root directory only to see if that helps.

I am hoping someone else has already used the USB feature and can walk me through the proper steps. Any ideas or suggestions with be happily appreciated.
Do a quick format again and test it out....either should work....

I'd do ntfs and not fat32.... Did it popular right on your PC ?

Ron Westman

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Do a quick format again and test it out....either should work....

I'd do ntfs and not fat32.... Did it popular right on your PC ?
The MP3s played okay on the PC. It is raining here and I won't be able to test the new MP3 setup for a couple of days. I will put one track on the USB as ntfs as suggested and let you know.

Thank you

Ron Westman

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I finally got a chance to try a new USB drive with a couple of songs on it. The radio still does not play the songs. I haven't checked to ensure the drive is set for NTFS. I will do that today.
Before I pull the seat cushion off the area in front of the console to ensure the USB cable is connected correctly I would like to know:

Will the radio indicate there is a valid USB drive in the port? What I am asking is if I put the USB drive in the port will the radio give some type of indication or switch to USB input when I plug the USB drive in? I am hoping this will let me know if the connection is working okay.

Any ideas or suggestions?

KyleWade14

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Mine switches automatically when I plug it in

Ron Westman

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I formatted a Thumb Drive as NTFS and added some songs. I plugged in the Thumb Drive, selected USB, and after about 5 seconds it went to tuner.

Question: Is there a limit on the size of the Thumb Drive? Kyle, what size Thumb Drive do you use? What format do you use for the songs?

My next step is to remove the cushion in front of the console and see if the remote USB port is connected. Any other suggestions?

KyleWade14

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I think it's a 16gb. Not sure on the format. I know some are MP3, but don't think they all are.

Ron Westman

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I will try a small capacity Thumb Drive.
At this time I am thinking the problem is a disconnected cable behind the radio. The dealer added to switches to the console for underwater lights and LED speaker ring lights. I suspect the cable got disconnected at that time.
I am not looking forward to removing the cushion on the front of the console in order to access the wiring in the console OH WELL, it has to be done.

I will update after I have this completed next week.

KyleWade14

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Removing the cushion is easy. Just pull the seat cushion off, reach up under the inside of the console and there's a wing nut and washers on each side of the bottom of it. Take those off, pull the bottom of the cushion away from the console and slide it up and off the mounts.:thumbsup:

Ron Westman

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I felt the wing nuts on the bottom. I assumed there were wing nuts on the top. Sounds like the top of the cushion is held in by a different and easier method. GLAD to hear that. It was the top of the cushion I was concerned about because the difficulty of reaching up that far.

Thanks for the good news.

Ron Westman

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
UPDATE....

Seat was easy to get off, thanks to Kyle.
The USB cable from the radio WAS DISCONNECTED.
I connected the cable and the radio immediately went to USB when I plugged the USB drive in.
Unfortunately the USB drive was formatted as NTFS and the radio gave the error "FILE READ".
I installed another USB drive formatted as FAT32 and it works GREAT.

Problems appear to be solved.

I want to thank everyone who provide ideas and help.

Ron

KyleWade14

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Good deal!! That's what we are here for!

chess

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
UPDATE....

Seat was easy to get off, thanks to Kyle.
The USB cable from the radio WAS DISCONNECTED.
I connected the cable and the radio immediately went to USB when I plugged the USB drive in.
Unfortunately the USB drive was formatted as NTFS and the radio gave the error "FILE READ".
I installed another USB drive formatted as FAT32 and it works GREAT.

Problems appear to be solved.

I want to thank everyone who provide ideas and help.

Ron
Good stuff... NTFS or FAT32 will always be a selection. I didnt know what it was formatted at before, I was guessing fat-32.

We all learned something :) Cheers and glad its working for you !!